Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever buy an item in more than one colour?

(57 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 19:57:10

I don't mean basics like long sleeved tees or cardis, I mean like a pretty dress that you think sort of suits you and would be wearable a few years down the line, though it's not an everyday dress, it's definitely one for parties or a night out. Even writing this I realise how daft it sounds! Dh said they fit nice so maybe I should keep both...
The lace detail in them makes it obvious it's the same dress, it's not like having a simple generic plain shift dress. It's silly isn't it? This coming from the person trying to kondo! but they both spark joy

oldlaundbooth Tue 01-Nov-16 19:57:58

Yes, I found the perfect dress so I bought it in black and also polka dot. Worn them both loads.

Motherwithflaws Tue 01-Nov-16 19:59:18

Keep both!

oldlaundbooth Tue 01-Nov-16 19:59:46

Like this

www.google.ca/search?q=black+polka+dot+a+line+dress&client=tablet-android-google&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL16D3q4jQAhVM54MKHaVrDqcQ_AUIBygB&biw=768&bih=1024#tbm=isch&q=black+a+line+dress&imgrc=jv_LZ4jtLRDhZM%3A

But shorter sleeves

keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 20:05:30

They are very lacy, not something I could particularly dress down for work or a walk in the park!

Trills Tue 01-Nov-16 20:07:47

Yes I've done this with some jersey dresses - fairly plain ones though not anything too striking.

Bluntness100 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:09:33

Yes, totally, do it often, if i find something that works for me and totally love it, then yes I buy it in different colours, inc shoes, never regretted it,

keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 20:11:22

Not for popping down the shops for scruffy old me anyway too distinctive to have two of?

slowandfrumpy Tue 01-Nov-16 20:13:23

i buy the same dress in the same colour and sometimes in another colour too. And the same jumpers (I had three red ones from Jigsaw once).
My former employee referred to my dress sense as a 'uniform'
so: not being unreasonable at all.

Helpisathand13 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:13:32

Lovely dresses! Great choice keep both. I have bought the same shoes in different colours, comfy hotters loafers.

olderthanyouthink Tue 01-Nov-16 20:14:52

Errr...I suppose so

OlennasWimple Tue 01-Nov-16 20:15:24

I do it with basics, particularly the Holy Grail of trousers that fit me properly! I'm not sure I would do it with something like those dresses, simply because I wouldn't wear them enough to get enough use out of them before I felt that they were starting to date and I wouldn't wear them much any more (does that make sense?)

keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 20:20:25

No way older! I thought they were exactly the same dress as mine at first! But do you wear both or favour one? And I'm concerned people might think I'm bonkers for buying the same thing twice....do you get this?

BikeRunSki Tue 01-Nov-16 20:23:25

Yes, I have massive trouble getting trousers over my big calfs, so when I find trousers or jeans that fit I buy several pairs in whatever colours!

olderthanyouthink Tue 01-Nov-16 20:35:54

Btw where are your dresses from? Mine are a tad short (I grew)

olderthanyouthink Tue 01-Nov-16 20:40:56

I read your op and thought only stuff like uniqlo jumpers and jeans that I wear everyday... And then you posted pictures. I favour the green as I think it looks better with my skin (mixed race)

Technically mine aren't identical, they were bought almost exactly a year apart and ones one size bigger, both from h&m, when they bought out a navy blue one I was sorely tempted.

Mishaps Tue 01-Nov-16 20:42:08

Yes - glasses

cansu Tue 01-Nov-16 20:48:38

I would but whenever I have tried to do this especially with dresses they are usually sold out in my size!

keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 21:01:26

I think my gut says keep the green first, but still love the burgundy too. If i send it back i might regret it but its very obvious its the same dress in different colours iykwim. I amfair and tend to go for jewel tones so I think both colours are equal for my skin tone. Do you know, if Dh hadnt said keep both I wouldn't be in this predicament! I'd have just kept the green!

dudsville Tue 01-Nov-16 21:07:15

If you're trying to kondo I'd say choose, love it, and when it wears out choose a new lovely one. It's ok for something to be lovely and to admire it but not own it.

Alicesmith85 Tue 01-Nov-16 21:08:51

Yes all the time, especially shoes! I have three pairs of some lace up heels I love!

lalaloopyhead Tue 01-Nov-16 21:11:55

I really like them, where are they from?? I've had a couple of things I have bought in two different colours or patterns...probably favoured one a bit but always worn both.

ExGucciKing Tue 01-Nov-16 21:18:24

Yes, very regularly. Clothes, shoes, bags I use a lot. The older you get, the more style is about your proportions and what works with your size/colouring. If it works, buy a few.

Catra Tue 01-Nov-16 21:22:08

All the time. I have the same leather shoulder bag in burgundy and green, the same Pied a Terre dress in black, navy, purple and bright blue, the same suede pixie boots in navy and black, the same patent pumps in black, purple and red. I could go on ...

When I find something like and is comfortable (especially in relation to shoes, which is a rarity) I buy it in all the colours that suit me!

keeponkeepinon Tue 01-Nov-16 21:27:46

Funny you should say that, I have the same clutch bag in about 5 different colours. It's plain and simple and won't really date. I don't particularly think that these dresses will date, I always always like deco prints and shapes which makes me think I'll always like them. It just seems silly having two. They aren't like my plain clutch bags which could go to any occasion.
Wwyd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now