Talk

Advanced search

Please help a non heel wearer find some posh but comfy heels!

(26 Posts)
handsfree Tue 01-Nov-16 12:09:28

It has been nearly 3 years since I last wore my one pair of posh shoes. Apart from that I mainly live in trainers, flattish boots or flip flops. I have never found heels particularly comfortable but I'm also short with particularly short legs so to look smart I do really need to wear heels.

In the next few weeks I am going to a ball and a v posh Xmas dinner. I need to find a pair of shoes that are smart but also comfortable!

I am looking for
Stiletto style heel
Patent black (I am wearing a black dress to the ball and either green or red to the Xmas dinner, all dresses are knee length and I will be wearing black tights)
Bit of a platform on the sole
Rounded toe, or at least not pointy!

Budget ideally max £50 as I will probably not wear them for at least another year after this!

Any suggestions much appreciated!

saltededamummy Tue 01-Nov-16 12:19:14

You sound exactly like me handsfree, hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread.

ElspethFlashman Tue 01-Nov-16 12:20:27

New Look always have platform stiletto courts in. Just maybe suede not patent.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 01-Nov-16 12:43:41

I second New Look. The shoes are inexpensive but comfortable enough to last a party. You could buy some gel inserts (e.g. Scholl party feet) to make them a bit more comfortable. They also have some of their shoe styles available in wider fit (if that's an issue for you, op).

Motherwithflaws Tue 01-Nov-16 12:55:14

M&S insolia ones are comfortable and in budget.

Motherwithflaws Tue 01-Nov-16 12:59:01

These are nice irl and I think they have various colours in store www.marksandspencer.com/multi-strap-point-court-shoes-with-insolia/p/p22471384?image=SD_01_T02_0656_Y4_X_EC_90&color=BLACKMIX&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

LadyCatherinesshades Tue 01-Nov-16 13:02:36

Clarks kendra

BusterGonad Tue 01-Nov-16 13:31:07

Ohhh....Clarks Kendra shoe boot.grin

dicdicnurse Tue 01-Nov-16 13:40:01

Clarks Kendra have transformed my shoe collection! I never wore heels as I find them so uncomfortable but as I'm approaching 40 I thought I'd better be a grown up and try some. Happened to be in Clarks for the kids shoes and thought I'd try some and what do you know, they are absolutely beautiful and are so comfortable I can actually wear them all night without getting the rage.

specialsubject Tue 01-Nov-16 13:49:05

Er... Op said not pointed toe! Most of us don't have pointed feet.

Wearable heels have been mostly outlawed , three inch or more staggerers are the rule now, as per the links. Aside from looking awful, they make you waddle along with your bum out so you look rough too. Just look at how the models clump about, not pretty.

I doubt any man would buy shoes that hurt so why should you? Gel insoles are just a fix for really crap shoes.

A one inch heel is elegant and won't hurt. Good luck finding any...and if you do, let me know. Hopefully my two pairs of wearable shoes from the 90s will last!

LockedOutOfMN Tue 01-Nov-16 14:21:41

These - not patent though.

Also quite like these, but I think I'll be alone in that.

There are some patent black heels on the NL website, but none that I could find has a platform sole.

acornsandnuts Tue 01-Nov-16 14:39:45

I have a pair of Latin dance shoes which I bring out for balls. They look like normal shoes but are sooo comfortable. They're a bit like this
www.movedancewear.com/dance_shoes_womens_ballroom_latin_salsa_shoes-capezio_x_strap_pump_277/37/

LockedOutOfMN Tue 01-Nov-16 14:50:59

acornsandnuts Innocent question, aren't the soles on dance shoes to thin / fragile for wearing for other purposes?

SueTrinder Tue 01-Nov-16 14:54:06

Another vote for flat shoes here, I think these are gorgeous. Or Boden has a nice selection, I particularly like the Strappy Bow Points.

Look on the En brogue blog for some flat shoed inspiration, she only wears flats despite working in fashion. Although there are a lot of trainers featured she does write about suitable shoes for work and weddings as well.

I am also short and tried wearing heels but I look like an idiot because I can't walk in them and they hurt my (wide) feet. I'm much happier in flats.

SarahLinden Tue 01-Nov-16 15:54:20

Vagabond Grace - I hadn't worn heels at all for 15 years until I gave these a try. I now have several pairs. They look much less chunky when they're on and I can run in them. Quite the miracle grin

bookbuddy Tue 01-Nov-16 15:56:25

Ruby shoo do a lovely selection not too high and very comfortable.

acornsandnuts Tue 01-Nov-16 16:58:36

lockedout yes they are but I only wear them to Balls where the purpose of them is to dance surely. A night on the town would not be fun.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 01-Nov-16 17:04:02

That makes sense, Acorn! Sorry for being dim. Happy dancing. wishes Mumsnet had emojis so I could insert the dancing woman one here

carrie74 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:19:41

The only heels I can walk in comfortably (and only do when going out out) are LK Bennett, bought in sales and outlet: 1 pair lasts me years.

Pantsalive Tue 01-Nov-16 22:45:37

My friend swears by these M&S Insolia ones (as mentioned by Motherwithflaws) but they look v high to me.

DancingDinosaur Tue 01-Nov-16 22:53:53

Oooh I've got those latin dance shoes too acorns but in silver. And they are very comfortable. I only get them out for balls too!

blueshoes Tue 01-Nov-16 23:48:18

I second Carrie about LK Bennett. All my stiletto work shoes are LK Bennett and I wear them to death on carpet

This should fit your patent black stiletto heel requirements but are a bit pricier than budget at £80: here

This time with a platform but not on sale £175: here

Full range of black court shoes

Anything with an ankle strap or thicker heel will be more comfortable. I would recommend you break them in at home first. LK Bennett are worth the price IMO for gorgeous shoes that don't break your feet.

fauxhito Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:56

pants I have those M&S ones and they are rubbish! Perhaps the fit isnt right on me ( I slide forward in them) but they are really uncomfy.

I do however really like the look of the ones that mother mentioned.

handsfree Wed 02-Nov-16 21:59:09

Buster funnily enough I actually bought myself the Kendra shoe boots the other day, but having got them home they don't go with my dress and they also rub right on my ankles so they will sadly be going back!

I do like the look of the Kendra Siennas though, might order a pair and see what they're like.

I also like the M&S ones, they do look high though so I guess it would depend on how much the platform levels them out.

CallarMorvern Thu 03-Nov-16 06:38:56

Acorns Those shoes are exactly what I've been looking for...but I'm a wide 8/9 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now