Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk about pants?

(64 Posts)
missfliss Tue 01-Nov-16 07:45:09

Can we talk about pants please?! ☺️

I don't know why it never occurred to me before that I might need to wear a different pant style"

Since being a teen I've always worn just plain bikini briefs ( hate thongs, tried Spanx on special occasions and hate the restricted and overly hot feeling).

I've never had a flat tummy - even before babies. It's now even less flat than before of course. It doesn't bother me especially, life's too short and I'm not going to have a tummy tuck ever so no point worrying about it.

But, I think the bikini briefs aren't helping. My hips / bum are quite small so I wear a 12/14, but it has the undesirable effect of kind of scooping up my tummy and pushing it over the top band. Doesn't make for a great outline in skirts / dresses.

Do I need big Bridget Jones pants? Happy to try if it helps, but really hate the feeling of hardcore control underwear.

Thoughts on pants please 😆

Nanasueathome Tue 01-Nov-16 07:46:39

Have a look at Sloggi
Different styles
Last ages
I've worn then for as long as I can remember

SharingMichelle Tue 01-Nov-16 07:51:29

I recently bought "cheeky" pants in H&M. I thought it was just some bollocks, cutesy name, but no; these are pants designed to let as much of your arse cheeks hang out as possible whilst riding up your crack. Wedgie pants, if you will. I am incandescent that such a thing exists.

This is of little use to you OP, I just wanted to share my recent pants experience.

LadyPenelope68 Tue 01-Nov-16 07:51:33

M&S high leg knickers! They are cut high and thin on the sides but come up to your waist at the front and back. Good coverage and hold a saggy tummy in without being huge Bridget Jones style pants.

BusStopBetty Tue 01-Nov-16 07:53:17

Definitely m&s high legs. Lace topped if you want to pretend to be a bit glam.

LadyPenelope68 Tue 01-Nov-16 07:53:18

Like these

BusStopBetty Tue 01-Nov-16 07:54:29

Although, unlike me, you may be glam and not need to pretend.

Squirrelsmum Tue 01-Nov-16 07:57:12

Those in the above pic are comfortable until you sit down and they roll down leaving you with a sausage under the podgy belly. Not a good look.
I go for a low bikini that is a good and doesn't give bulge.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bonds+bikini&client=safari&hl=en-au&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTzZOyiofQAhUMtJQKHVA8CiIQ_AUIBygB&biw=375&bih=627#imgrc=QqLuI168JB3XIM%3A

BusStopBetty Tue 01-Nov-16 08:36:08

Mine never roll down? I do buy a size larger than needed to allow for shrinkage.

missfliss Tue 01-Nov-16 09:28:38

Thank you wise women of S&B.

I have ordered some m&s light control high waisted ones....

I'll see how I get on

Rumtopf Tue 01-Nov-16 09:44:57

I always wear the M&S high leg lace topped ones pictured. Very comfortable, don't roll down, don't give me lumps and bumps and hold my tummy in. Sizing is bang on too.

margaritasbythesea Tue 01-Nov-16 09:45:24

I have been wondering about this too.

SleepFreeZone Tue 01-Nov-16 09:49:29

I have gone from thongs to big pants and I feel really weird in small pants now. I don't have a big tummy I've just got used to the feeling of them. They are deeply unsexy 😁😁

burnishedsilver Tue 01-Nov-16 10:11:23

I always wear the ones pictured too, sized up to allow for dryer shrinkage.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 01-Nov-16 10:14:15

Surprised you said the M&S sizing is spot on, last ones I bought there "in my size" were huge. Size 8 fit me and I am not usually a size 8!

Rumtopf Tue 01-Nov-16 11:25:14

Well, allowing for tumble dryer shrinkage the size I buy is the right one for me. If you don't use a dryer then perhaps they might be a tad loose.

Shallishanti Tue 01-Nov-16 12:39:08

whats with all the thong/brazilian stuff? when I tried to buy cheapo knickers in M&S sale they were nearly all this style which would drive me bonkers- is this really what everyone wants??

ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 13:07:18

I like these from m&s. They are kind of like not wearing knockers at all - they provide very little support but also don't cut in or give lines at all and you can wear them under anything without worrying. If you like your bikini briefs, these could be the answer without the "scooping" effect!

FurryLittleTwerp Tue 01-Nov-16 13:22:08

I've worn thongs for years - I have a round sticking-out-backwards bottom & a small waist, & all other styles are gathered eaten by my bottom & turned into a thong anyway grin

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Tue 01-Nov-16 13:39:58

Sloggi short style all the way - comfortable and sensible. Fab for covering a substantial tummy and give good lines under clothes. Been wearing them for 20 years and would never consider anything else grin

FlamingoSnuffle Tue 01-Nov-16 14:00:56

I wear high rise shorts from M&S as the low rise ones sit on my c section scar. It is like the scar is hungry and either the top of the knickers work their way into it, or any seam where the fabric attaches to lace does it too.

The high rise are high enough so they don't work their way down into the scar.

www.marksandspencer.com/comfort-floral-lace-high-rise-shorts/p/p22399348?prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

previously1474907171 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:20:25

I find the M&S high waist ones sneak up and am constantly pulling them back to where they should be. I struggled with them for years because they are flattering to look at.

Then I discovered the midi style. Buying a size where the top doesn't cut into flesh prevents them leaving a line or a roll over the top. I buy these, which come in different colours during the course of the year, they are not as low cut as they look in the photo.
www.marksandspencer.com/grown-on-midi-knickers/p/p22415671?image=SD_02_T61_7061A_Y4_X_EC_90&color=BLACKMIX&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

dudsville Tue 01-Nov-16 17:06:18

Omg pants, the ongoing saga. find something you like and then bam, lifestyle shift, shape shift, finance changes. I want 1) no elastic, 2) bum cheeks entirely covered (my bra does this why not pants?) 3) to be happily unaware of my pants once they are on. Why is this so hard? My current favourites are "shorties" or some such from gap.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:11:48

Another fan of Sloggi here. The high waist ones are so comfy and I wouldn't wear anything else now. They come in multi-packs and last for ages.

WhiteHairReally Tue 01-Nov-16 17:32:18

Surprisingly comfy, given they have 'Brazilean' in the title.

www.marksandspencer.com/light-control-lace-brazilian-knickers/p/p22430626?image=SD_02_T33_1529_AX_X_EC_90&color=ALMOND&prevPage=

Sort of flatten the 'mum tum' rather effectively, although, I should have followed other MNetters wise counsel and sized up because of my tumble dryer habit.

www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-firm-control-cotton-rich-floral-lace-panelled-full-briefs/p/p22255165?prevPage=pulp

I too have a c section scar, neither of these styles 'congregate' in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now