Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend where to look for jackets to smarten up work dresses?

(23 Posts)
AllTheShoes Mon 31-Oct-16 20:51:46

Has anyone found a good place to buy jackets that work over dresses? I usually wear dresses that finish on / above the knee, long or 3/4 sleeves and I could do with something to smarten them up. The jackets also need to sit right without making me look too norky (which is a hard trick to pull off, I'm a 28G).

If it helps to give an idea of what I need it to go with, I tend to wear stuff like this:
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/clearance/womens-dresses/day-dresses/ww127-dgr/womens-glade-camille-knitted-dress

Or slimmer shapes (but plainer than this) from Phase 8, this sort of thing:
www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/work-dresses/zarah-zig-zag-knitted-dress/203823732

AllTheShoes Tue 01-Nov-16 20:50:33

Anyone?

RosieLig Tue 01-Nov-16 20:53:59

Jack Wills blazers are gorgeous. Really good quality.

blazer

JamieVardysParty Wed 02-Nov-16 16:00:18

Next have some really nice ones at the moment, surprisingly as it isn't somewhere I'd normally consider.

Can't link rn, but they have a gorgeous black hourglass one and a green herringbone one that's neutral but unusual.

PeachMelba78 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:51:54

I really like some of the more structured H&M ones, and I have a few from New Look which are buttonless ones - depends if you like the look, but they were surprising good quality for the price.

ChangedDaily Wed 02-Nov-16 16:56:23

It's not about where you buy them from, it's about how they fit. You just need to set aside the time to go to a big shopping centre and try on every single sodding one. I swear by Hobbs and Jigsaw, but I'm not your shape - but they'll probably have some in a slightly different shape to the ones I would buy. HOF own brand, Linea, also worth a look.

KanyesVest Wed 02-Nov-16 18:45:37

I've got a couple from mango and mango outlet.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 02-Nov-16 18:47:10

My last two were from Debenhams and Primark!

coolpotato Wed 02-Nov-16 19:52:24

H&M have done me well, their £25 quid blazers are fantastic for the price.

Gillybobs Wed 02-Nov-16 19:55:04

Another vote for Mango..I've a few chanel style jackets from there, brilliant over plain shift dresses

fiorentina Wed 02-Nov-16 20:44:31

Zara always have good jackets.
And H&M had some good ones the other day that would be good if you're picky!

ShoesieQ Wed 02-Nov-16 21:53:46

Another vote for Zara - plus I reckon the new Carine Roitfeld range for Uniqlo would be worth a look when it comes out later this week

AllTheShoes Wed 02-Nov-16 22:22:31

Thanks! That's given me some ideas - I wasn't quite sure where to look. I've got an H&M and a Uniqlo nearby, so I'll start there.

ShoesieQ Thu 03-Nov-16 09:42:29

UPDATE - Have just spotted this on Uniqlo's website re Carine's new collection:

Full Collection available online from Thursday 3rd November at 10am and at 311 Oxford Street from 3rd November. Selected lines available from 3rd November in selected stores

Am making myself a brew right now: this should be a goodie!

Happy hunting Alltheshoes
PS Great username wink

choppolata Thu 03-Nov-16 10:04:25

Ooh ShoesieQ thanks for the heads up! grin

Mamia15 Thu 03-Nov-16 11:20:27

Mango and Zara are great for simple chanel type jackets

AllTheShoes Thu 03-Nov-16 20:11:31

ShoesieQ Thanks! None of the Uniqlo ones look short / smart enough to go with work dresses. so I'm having al look at H&M now. The username is about my 5yo, rather than me smile

coolpotato Thu 03-Nov-16 21:47:27

This is the blazer I have from H&M, I have theee of them (black, navy & grey) and would say they are true to size.

http://m2.hm.com/m/en_gb/productpage.0349867009.html

AllTheShoes Thu 03-Nov-16 22:18:45

cool Which one? That link just takes me to the home page, weirdly. I was looking at their jersey blazer as I was thinking that it might go best with knitted / jersey dresses, but I do need to try it on and see if it works on me.

coolpotato Fri 04-Nov-16 06:28:41

Argh, sorry! It's the Fitted Jacket at £24.99 and come in 6 colours.....starting with light beige and ending with checked beige.

StealthPolarBear Fri 04-Nov-16 06:36:47

Getting on this thread. Might have a quick look in next this lunchtime

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Fri 04-Nov-16 06:40:30

Jersey blazers from topshop. Love them!

NEmum Fri 04-Nov-16 06:40:57

I'd recommend either Warehouse or Oasis, but wait until the sale as they always discount them to under £50.
I find they are a flattering cut, nipped in at the waist & im v busty too x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now