Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's best for scarred skin on face?

(16 Posts)
overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 31-Oct-16 19:36:48

After a stressful few months I am trying to get my skin glowing again. It's not bad, but I went through a skin-picking stage and now have scars. 😒

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to treat it? I've cured the habit, I think, and am drinking loads of water & sleeping more, but the scars are still there. It doesn't help that I missed out on the summer sunshine - a bit of tan normally masks it but it was particularly bad this year.

Any ideas for knackered skin?

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 19:38:37

Retinol cream or gel

Monochromecat Mon 31-Oct-16 19:44:43

I've got bad scatting from acne and I've tried everything. I've found that dear abrasion, laser treatment etc have limited effects. Use a light fake tan to even out your skin tone - this really helps reduce appearance. Retin a cream is helpful. But the best thing is Botox. A couple of skin centres didn't think Botox would help but finally one understood what I meant. The nurse is really good at using it subtely and the scarring is a lot less visible now.

Monochromecat Mon 31-Oct-16 19:45:09

Scarring

BakeOffBiscuits Mon 31-Oct-16 19:48:42

Ive had scarring that has improved with sudacreme.

I know it sounds mad, but have been putting it on (just a thin layer on the scar, morning and night, then really rub it in) for about 4 months and the redness has almost gone.

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 04-Nov-16 16:49:56

Fab, thank you. Will order Retin A and sudocreme. It seems better this week with a bit of fake tan but I feel a mess!

ktjb39 Fri 04-Nov-16 16:52:03

I have heard good things about Healgel it's quite expensive but something I was thinking of trying. Definitely worth trying something cheaper first though!

CaesiumTime Fri 04-Nov-16 16:56:00

Sun makes scar tissue much worse. Scar tissue is still settling for about 2 years. Keep the scars covered with sunscreen.

Moisture and pressure is the best for healing. Massage the scars with a cream and keep them moist and out of the sun.

When I had plastic surgery on my face, the surgeon gave me Kelocote to treat the scars with. Reviews are mixed but he recommended it so I used it. The scars look fine.

Sorry you've had a tough time. Hope you find something that helps.

MrsT2007 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:52:55

Watching this as I'm a confirmed picker blush

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 04-Nov-16 19:58:29

Thank you, kjtb39 and Caesium both of those sound good. I'm happy to invest as my job is 'client-facing' and it is getting embarrassing now. Not raised scars, just marks now.

MrsT sorry you have the same problem. Mine's like nail-biting and (finger) skin-picking. Almost like self-destruction. I can't keep my hands away from my face. Psychological, I know hmm confused

MrsT2007 Fri 04-Nov-16 20:02:59

Me too.

ashtrayheart Fri 04-Nov-16 20:07:53

Has anyone tried a peel? I've got acne scarring that's not horribly deep but is noticeable without concealer.

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 04-Nov-16 20:51:08

Would also be interested in peels...

CaesiumTime Fri 04-Nov-16 21:11:13

I had dermabrasion for facial scarring. It was a pretty significant procedure - in a surgical suite, with sedation, etc.

It did resurface the scarred part of my face completely. I had it many years ago and am still pleased with the results. My scars were not acne/picking (they were from facial traumatic injury) but were deeply textural and have remained smooth.

I've been looking into peels but that's just because I'm getting old blush

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 04-Nov-16 23:31:35

Thank you, Caesium and sorry about your injury. Dermabrasion sounds like a big procedure but amazing that it worked so well, sounds like it did its job.

I think I am looking at minor scars by comparison - just very self-conscious about them, and there are now so many. If I carry on picking, maybe my face will be so full of scars that they will overlap and won't be noticeable hmm Will look up peels...

ChickenVindaloo Sat 05-Nov-16 12:29:19

Dermaroller and vitamin c cream.
Retin-a cream. (much stronger than retinol)
But not at the same time.
Personally, I'd go and see a dermatologist - NHS or private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now