Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone care to share their latest fashion failures?!

(76 Posts)
AgathaMystery Mon 31-Oct-16 09:41:56

I will start... Hush Tara dress in claret/burgundy. The colou was just blah on me & the skirt wayyyyyy too tight & the top drowned me. So odd, & I so badly wanted to love it.

Also ordered some tulle skirts online (Needle & Thread etc) as I need something For Xmas parties and for a swanky ball. Suffice to say I do not suit tulle. I looked utterly ridiculous. blush

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 09:53:46

7/8 trousers with ankle boots. I was all for it back in September but I haven't got out of the door in them yet.

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 09:58:23

And, being brutally honest, the M&S pleather biker. I'm still wearing it cos I love the colour (burgundy) but it's too busy for me. I should have trusted my instincts and sent it back.

choppolata Mon 31-Oct-16 10:00:58

I tried that Hush dress in green, looked horrendous on me too! Really weird cut.

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 10:01:05

Still love it though grin

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 10:02:10

Gah cross post - I meant my pleather biker.

ByeByeLilSebastian Mon 31-Oct-16 10:03:48

Every day, every outfit.
Nothing sits well on me and I can never get the right jeans/trousers to boot ratio.

Boredbeforeievenbegan Mon 31-Oct-16 10:06:35

The new Boden Breton with velvet stitching. Total frump show.

KnottyPineHell Mon 31-Oct-16 10:09:04

Some relaxed slim jeans. So comfy but oh so unflattering.

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 10:11:05

I still hanker after a tulle skirt Agatha, in dark grey. One day I will do it.

'Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.' (Adam Ant)

KnottyPineHell Mon 31-Oct-16 10:17:54

I'm fairly sure my numerous pairs of culottes would be regarded as a fashion failure for woman of my age (late 30's <<clutches pearls>> ) as I only really see teens/students wearing them. I luffs them so I don't really care.

AgathaMystery Mon 31-Oct-16 10:29:43

Def not a failure if you love them!!

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 31-Oct-16 11:49:02

A £135 cashmere jumper bought from Cos as spur of the moment. Regretted it almost instantly (strange length and slouchiness is overwhelming) but I was on holiday abroad and there was no time to return it.

Joinourclub Mon 31-Oct-16 11:58:31

A sale dress from warehouse. It was loose fitting and had a buttoned front so I thought unwound be perfect for my post baby body and beeast feeding. It felt like boiler suit material and looked terrible. It went back.

PuraVida Mon 31-Oct-16 12:01:43

The Tara dress didn't work on me either. I got the black one and looked like a tart from the 80s. Such a shame, I've seen it look great on other people

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 31-Oct-16 12:07:02

I bought a lovely (on the 6ft size6 model) poncho from joules. I am a big chubba and even the s/m was huge, it totally drowned me and made me look like an oompah loompa sadly. Lovely in theory but not in practice. Would be fab if you were shop lifting frozen turkeys from Iceland -loads of room!

GinAndOnIt Mon 31-Oct-16 12:10:08

Oh no! I've got the Tina dress which is rather similar to the Tara on my wish list, and I thought it would be a safe bet! Do I need to rethink?

sortthetacheoutbernard Mon 31-Oct-16 12:17:43

Gold heeled loafers. I hankered after them but now I have them they don't seem right for any occasion. They seem ridiculously flash yet not dressy enough.

And they rub really badly. So I end up walking like a limping draggy gucci wannabe.

I'm not giving up though.

margaritasbythesea Mon 31-Oct-16 12:51:24

I look a complete tit in any sort of blanket or poncho thing, and yet I try them all on. I am TOO short (tells self).

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 31-Oct-16 13:18:59

Love the limping draggy Gucci wannabe thlgrin

Mine was a dark denim pinafore dress. The first day I wore it, I picked my 3 year old niece up to take her out for the day and she was wearing a very similar dress. She was delighted, I felt like one of those ridiculous parents that puts their child in a matching outfit to their own thlsad. We even had the same white top underneath.
The front rode up to somewhere under my neck when I sat down as well.

SueTrinder Mon 31-Oct-16 13:24:15

Denim dress from M&S. The material was far too thick and the colour was not attractive on me. It went straight back.

A gorgeous sequin skirt in warehouse that I tried on at the weekend. Fitted well but I'm short (5'2") and so it went below the knee and felt frumpy on me. And a sequin skirt should never be frumpy. Would recommend to others though, there was lots of stretch and if you were taller or were prepared to wear heels it would look fab. I'm now looking for a sequin mini skirt to wear with boots and opaques.

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 31-Oct-16 14:56:11

Margaritabythesea - I hanker for a blanket shaul wrap thing but my dh says I look like an extra in a western film. I am also too short and tubby to carry them off - it's one of the great tragedies of my life!

I also want a fake fur collar or wrap and I just don't have the right look to carry it off. What looks chic and cosy on someone looks fuddy duddy on me. Way to much busom so increases the matronly effect 😮

Floisme Mon 31-Oct-16 15:02:12

Ooh I've just got a fake fur collar. I was hoping to look all Grace Kelly grin

Great thread.

anotherguiltymum Mon 31-Oct-16 15:11:09

I got the ottoman shift dress from Boden in green. Got one last year in black and it always makes me feel thinner and taller. The new one's been hanging in my wardrobe since the summer and I just put it on and they've changed the style. I look like one of those conical green felt Christmas elves that you perch on a branch of the Xmas tree. It's trapeze shaped, which make me look shorter and chubbier- and it's been months so I can't even send it back
Sob

PNGirl Mon 31-Oct-16 15:12:06

I'm starting to feel like my second All Saints jacket I bought in around May time was a mistake... it was in the sale so had a big chunk of money off (£250 from £350), but I prefer most of their current styles and should have just spent £50 more full price this season. I don't think the front of it suits me as I have too much boob sad

www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/allsaints-obika-ribbed-leather-biker-jacket?ID=1706014

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now