Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Black tie work do

(10 Posts)
carrie74 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:02:15

It's DH's black tie work do coming up soon. Last year I just wore a nice dress I'd worn to a wedding the precious summer, but I felt (and looked) seriously underdressed. It was full on sequins and silk, floor length gowns. Now, this is the only event where I would wear something like this, even at my work dos, half the people turn up in jeans (I work in a creative industry, very casual).

So this year I feel like I should push the boat out a bit more, but I'm not really a Coast / Monsoon kind of person. I'd like something a bit different, a bit edgier. I'll probably buy secondhand on eBay, as I'll get so little wear out of it. I love drapey things, seen some Amanda Wakeley beauties, but out of my price range. What would you be looking for or brands you'd suggest? I've looked at Westwood, Marant, Phillip Lim, Ralph Lauren...any ideas? I don't really have a designer budget, but am hoping for an eBay bargain...

PeachMelba78 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:04:45

If you go into somewhere like JL you can try on the brands you like, get a feel for which suit you and your dress size in that brand, and then check out EBay. I do this for work clothes a lot.

frostyfingers Mon 31-Oct-16 13:42:33

No idea if this is within your budget (it was in the sale when I got it), but I've just bought it for a black tie do and although I haven't worn it yet, I'm really pleased with it. I'm 5'6 with a fairly large front and a nicely rounded tummy (!) and it's very flattering and silky and a really comfortable fit. There are some other similar dresses by Biba which you might prefer.

Biba Dress

gonegrey56 Mon 31-Oct-16 13:48:21

You sound as though you might like Ghost dresses, draped, cut on the bias dresses. John Lewis stock them and often have them on sale. My dd has 2, both bought in sales. They are timeless, unfussy and elegant. You might well get one on eBay

lenny2011 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:07:43

Try TKMaxx- great selection of evening wear much, much cheaper than the high street and some quite different if you have an edgy look

carrie74 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:28:34

Thanks All, some great ideas here, and am watching a few possibilities on eBay. Love Ghost dresses gonegrey, bias cut is definitely more my thing. Also found a lot of BCBG Max Azria which look a bit different. Now to get one for a tenner ;)

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 20:36:10

What size / shape / colouring are you?

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 20:39:16

If you are tiny (size 6) TK Maxx Have a Vera Wang dress for £99!

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 20:42:11

Peach Halston gown for £99

carrie74 Tue 01-Nov-16 10:23:01

Thanks Olenna. Am 5'7", slim (size 10, sometimes an 8), boyish figure, brown short hair, winter colouring. Sadly peach definitely not a goer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now