Talk

Advanced search

Work Attire

(25 Posts)
VladimirsPooTin Sun 30-Oct-16 18:21:47

I've got into an absolute rut with work clothes and need a kick up the backside. All I ever wear is boot cut black trousers, black ankle boots and a jumper or a boring shirt. I have low self confidence looks-wise. I work in a professional occupation and am client facing but am also on my feet all day. I'm not slim but I'm not large- curvy I'd say. I carry the most weight on my chest and my thighs (and I don't carry it well). Any suggestions for work clothes and shoes? Or alternatively- please help!!!

Heratnumber7 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:41:01

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a "uniform" for work. It's not a fashion parade. I do exactly that: I wear one of 3 or 4 pairs of similar dark trousers with a shirt or plain jumper. Occasionally I swap the trousers for a skirt and black tights.

I keep my "interesting" and fashionable clothes for my social life.

burnishedsilver Sun 30-Oct-16 18:47:49

Perhaps try a personal shopper in a department store. Go with an open mind and try on things that you might not have considered. You could make a day of it and go out for lunch. It sounds like you are in need of a little boost.

Pisssssedofff Sun 30-Oct-16 18:52:53

I know you asked about clothes but weight training slimed my thighs down 100%. Squats, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, all for £16 kettle bell from Argos and YouTube

VladimirsPooTin Sun 30-Oct-16 20:48:48

Thankyou - all great ideas and I do want to lose weight. I was a regular gym-goer up until a couple of years ago when I had my first child and not been back since. I miss that boost.

Yika Sun 30-Oct-16 20:52:21

My 'uniform' if you like is simple dresses, variation on a shift-style theme, with a cardigan or a soft jacket. Very easy and comfortable to wear, and cover a multitude of sins. (I particularly like not having a waistband to do up since my waist has been MIA for some years).

Closetlibrarian Sun 30-Oct-16 20:54:41

Where do you get your dressed from Yika? I'd like more 'everyday' work dresses that are comfortable and easy to wear!

Closetlibrarian Sun 30-Oct-16 20:54:52

Dresses, not dressed!

Pestilence13610 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:58:47

Agree with yika about dresses. Add cardigan or jacket, opaques and keep the ankle boots.
You could try getting a couple and wearing them on Tues and Thurs so that you are still in your comfort zone most days.

sortthetacheoutbernard Sun 30-Oct-16 21:00:24

Dresses make me feel much more put together .. They are hard to find but once you know what shape and style suits you you'll be away.

Maybe look at Boden, French connection ,, Oasis as a start.

Whatdoesaturkeydo Sun 30-Oct-16 21:03:15

I also opt for the dress and opaque look makes me feel smart and comfortable. I like a knee length swing dress. Due to a lack of confidence they are all black but it takes the worry that things don't match away.
I have just bought my first Hush Tara dress and love it very flattering to my curvy figure

MissMillament Sun 30-Oct-16 21:06:29

I buy several dresses in the January sales every year- Debenhams, House of Fraser, Phase 8, even M&S - wherever I can find 70% off -and wear them with cardigans and black tights. I have about 15 now and rotate them round. The other great thing about them is no ironing.

swimster01 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:08:34

I like Boden for dresses for work

Pestilence13610 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:21:52

Maybe something like this? From Boden

Yika Sun 30-Oct-16 21:47:52

This is my current favourite. It is denim so a fairly relaxed look which suits me - though I dress it up a bit for work. be.johnlewis.com/store/phase-eight-magda-denim-dress-dark-denim/p2521118

wineusuallyhelps Sun 30-Oct-16 22:13:06

You don't have to spend a lot. I've got a few lovely dresses in Primark for around £10 each. They look more expensive than that. Wear with opaques and ankle boots. Soooo comfortable!

SuperPug Sun 30-Oct-16 22:19:31

I really enjoy these threads. I was in a bit of a rut with work clothes, uncomfortable trousers, same jumpers etc.
1.) Got my hair freshly done. Makes a world of difference.
2.) Treating myself to a new lipstick. Wouldn't and couldn't buy a load of stuff.
3.) Next are great for some work clothes but a bit hit and miss. Their jewellery is lovely at the moment and can look great. Pretty cheap. Good tops if you're curvy.
4.) Every month or two I treat myself to something that's higher quality and I can wear over and over again. Cashmere jumpers from John Lewis, something from Mint Velvet or Reiss in the sale etc.
I would also bear in mind that a lot of clothes are cut pretty sparsely across the chest area and it's good to shop around and see what you're comfortable with.

SueTrinder Sun 30-Oct-16 22:22:30

I agree with the dresses suggestion but also why not just buy some new trousers, e.g. the Gap bi-stretch skinny ankle pants get a lot of love on here.

If you are bored with your jumpers or shirts or boots could you buy a few new items from different stores to that you usually buy in, have a look at some fashion blogs or some of the threads on here for ideas for new shops to buy things from.

I don't think there's a problem with having a self imposed uniform for work but it's worth remembering you spend a lot of time there and so why not spend money getting nice work clothes. I spend far more on work clothes than I do for going out clothes, but my cost per wear is still much lower and it makes me happy.

VladimirsPooTin Mon 31-Oct-16 08:01:11

Some great suggestions thankyou. I would never ever wear a dress but I might have a look for some and try and find a style that suits me- maybe that's just what I need. Also sue I will definitely be trying some of hose trousers on- much more up to date than what I usually wear.

Yika Mon 31-Oct-16 15:57:15

Also: plan your outfits ahead of time, gives you time to mix them up and add colour or detail to the usual black.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 31-Oct-16 16:08:04

Love those gap trousers!

SueTrinder Mon 31-Oct-16 16:29:18

Love those gap trousers!

The best thing is they are spectacularly comfortable. I've got them in the navy and black and am now hankering after the blue slate and tuscan red.

bluebeck Mon 31-Oct-16 19:48:22

Another one here who wears dresses to work most days. You don't have to worry about what matches, top lengths etc. Just pull it on and add a cardi if a casual day, blazer if more formal meetings.

Closetlibrarian Mon 31-Oct-16 20:36:04

Those gap trousers do look good! How do people wear ankle trousers in the autumn/ winter? I.e. what socks/ shoes combo? I cannot bear being cold!

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 31-Oct-16 22:02:25

Good question closet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now