Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone successfully managed to 'let go' and kondo their wardrobe properly?

(70 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sat 29-Oct-16 17:51:58

Marie Kondo says to tackle your wardrobe first, as it's unemotional and easy to get through but it's so difficult to me, I am failing at getting rid of the stuff I wouldn't really wear because of the feeling of waste and 'just in case'. I could easily pull out 20 tops that could go, but something is stopping me. Has anyone been like this and found a tactic to get past it?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 29-Oct-16 17:53:27

My thinking was 'I wasted money when I bought this article, not when I got rid of it'

fredabear Sat 29-Oct-16 17:59:32

Donate the clothes, then you can see it as a charitable contribution not a waste of money

DrScholl Sat 29-Oct-16 18:00:44

do men do this shit? no they don't

bigbuttons Sat 29-Oct-16 18:01:10

I just said " when I wear this does it make me feel good?" it was that simple
For the stuff I chucked that I'd hardly or indeed never worn I used her advice to treat it as a lesson, like " now I know that that particular violent orange colour/ shade of green/A line skirt does nothing for me."
I am now much much more discerning in what I buy and feel much better in my clothes. It is also far easier to get dressed as all my stuff goes together.

ememem84 Sat 29-Oct-16 18:01:29

Try and sell them? If no one else wants them why do you?

that said I'm in the same position. Too much stuff. I'm trying to wear everything I have to see if I like it.

I thought about doing a "joey" and wearing everything I own. But funny as that would be I couldn't be arsed with it.

bigbuttons Sat 29-Oct-16 18:01:57

men don't by nearly as much clothing shit as women.

HappyGirlNow Sat 29-Oct-16 18:04:03

keepon I know exactly what you mean! I've only read the start of her book, mainly for that reason - she clearly doesn't understand my connection to my clothes if she thinks that clearing your wardrobe is the easiest thing! That turns me off.

DandelionAndBedrock Sat 29-Oct-16 18:04:39

Clothing is the only bit of Marie Kondo I have really done properly, and it has truly made such a difference. I used to get so frustrated at putting laundry away.

I set aside a day when the house was empty so I couldn't be distracted, and then i just dumped ALL my clothes on the bed. That way I had to do it before I could go to sleep. I bought a roll of clear bin-bags, and had a plastic shopping crate ready. As I went through my things, I filled a bin bag, and then tied it up and put it outside the room so I couldn't see it. I started with absolutely easy things, and put anything I was unsure about in the crate. Then I went through all my things and put the ones I was keeping away.

I put all the stuff in the crate in a separate binbag, and put it to one side.

Then I looked at my (still fairly full) wardrobe, cursed Marie Kondo, and started again.

By the end of it, I had 14 bin bags (including shoes and accessories). I kept the bag of "maybes" sealed for a fortnight, then without opening it again I took it to the charity shop. I decided if I could get through a fortnight without even thinking about opening it to get something out, it was no big deal to pass it on.

DandelionAndBedrock Sat 29-Oct-16 18:06:24

A few years ago, I tried a tactic I had read about (possibly on here?). Turn all your clothes hangers so that they hook the other way. Each time you wear something, turn the hangers back the 'normal' way. You can see at a glance what you haven't worn because the hangers are the other way.

badabing36 Sat 29-Oct-16 18:10:29

What do you mean? Buying loads of clothes you then don't wear or having clear outs.

My dp buys loads of clothes and hates to give them away. Just managed to convince him to clear out and he keeps going on about how fantastic he feels about it.

Haven't read the book is it the magical art of tidying? My friend raves about it but it's the kind of thing I do already every 6 months or so.

Though I have put a massive box labelled thin clothes in the garage.

FinnFamilyMoomintroll Sat 29-Oct-16 18:11:50

Hmm - I did successfully kondo my wardrobe, it's now a tenth of the size and I never do that last-minute frantic searching through the wardrobe for something to wear any more since I really like all my clothes and am happy wearing any of my outfits. If you're struggling I would say it really helps to think about why you're doing it - you need to have a good motivation! Picture how great it will be when you have a lovely streamlined wardrobe etc.

As for this being a waste - well, they're still a waste sitting in your wardrobe not being worn. Charity shop then and feel good about yourself.

Keeping things just in case - this is acceptable if, and only if, you really really love the item. Otherwise you won't want to wear it even if the opportunity does come up. For example, I have a pair of ice skates - I very rarely use them but I bloody love them and if anyone suggests skating I'm there one a shot with my skates. Ditto my Barbour, not much call for it in London but if I go to the countryside its the first thing I pack.

One other tip - find your absolutely favourite piece of clothing and hang it up while you're sorting through the rest. Use it as a yardstick to measure up how you feel about your clothes - everything you keep should inspire the same sort of happiness as that piece.

PNGirl Sun 30-Oct-16 07:28:39

Another one of the thinking that you wasted the money when you bought it and now you are paying to store it (rent or mortgage on a home where it's taking up storage space).

I did Kondo my clothes but still found stuff that I liked until I actually wore it, so I've moved them on after one wear post-Kondo.

RebelandaStunner Sun 30-Oct-16 09:28:25

I look at it the other way make better decisions at the point of buying ;
only buy it if you love it, it fits you, your life and style perfectly.

I'd be bothered at wanting to get rid of 20 tops. Is it because they don't fit you anymore or your lifestyle has changed?
If it's because you just don't like them, I'd be thinking why am I buying this stuff?
I only (reluctantly) get rid of stuff for good reason (and that might be a couple of things, not bags full at a time).
Things, for example that are worn out , not to 'streamline' my wardrobe. It's already very tidily stored because I tend not to over buy like I used to.
I like it all and it all gets worn regularly.
Otherwise won't you just do this over and over?

phoolani Sun 30-Oct-16 10:14:01

I used to overbuy like a good 'un and could never figure out why I still never had nothing to wear, then I read something along the lines of all mistake buys are when you buy for the person you want to be rather than the person you are. This was spot on for me. I don't make those mistakes any more and have a wardrobe I uniformly love.

keeponkeepinon Sun 30-Oct-16 10:22:57

I think you've nailed it there, buying for the person you want to be, rather than what just fits for you right now. I've got stuff that's maybe 10 years old. It's not stuff I would necessarily wear now, but it's the what ifs that get to me.
Plus I have overbought in the past, I'm wise to it now so trying to be very selective about my choices and tending to go for timeless items rather than fast fashion. Like Bretons for every day wear for example. I know some think they are terribly boring but they are easy, smart and go with anything so I feel great in them. I'm tending towards very simple styles now that will stand the test of time. It's all the other junk I've not got rid of for years that's getting in the way!

keeponkeepinon Sun 30-Oct-16 10:32:03

Size and weight changes are a massive factor here too btw. Always trying to lose...

LaPharisienne Sun 30-Oct-16 10:44:12

Yes! I did. I suspect I could do it again but it really changed my life.

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Sun 30-Oct-16 11:03:57

I did. And still do every six month or so at the start of S/S and A/W. I probably have more clothes now, but I like everything and have stuff that can wear for an odd evening out.

I probably could get rid of a couple of cashmere jumpers that have shrunk in a wash, but struggling with getting rid of them. I may make them into wrist warmers or give them to my daughter in a couple of years!

And my husband doesn't do this unless I make him, because he can't fit anything in his draws.

FiveShelties Sun 30-Oct-16 13:04:49

I decide to throw something away and then I think I will just give it one more wear as it seems a pity to throw it away now it is clean and on and on it goes. Most of my stuff is in storage but I still kept far too much out, am really going to have to get rid of some. Maybe tomorrow ....

rightknockered Sun 30-Oct-16 13:09:33

I did it a year ago.
I then re-fillled my wardrobe

keeponkeepinon Sun 30-Oct-16 15:24:26

grin
That's what I'm worried about!!
Sod it, I can't do it that brutally, softly softly approach for me- I'll try the 'I'm trying to wear everything' approach and if I hate wearing it, it'll have to go.

Statelychangers Sun 30-Oct-16 15:34:59

I tried and failed. I'm a messy bugger and clothes need washing after just one wear. While I'm at it I hated her rolling thing. I have organised my underwear and socks though.

Trethew Sun 30-Oct-16 15:52:14

I did it and feel heaps better for it. I did not do the kondo thing with socks and tights, nor do I have everything in the wardrobe sloping up to the right. But I have charitied over half of my wardrobe, it was painless and liberating. The bags had to sit in the garage until I had an opportunity to take them to the charity shop, but I felt no anxiety or regret and no urge to go and rescue anything from them. Almost without exception the discarded items were garments which were 'good' and therefore I felt should be kept. By passing them on they have a better chance of being used and valued by someone else.

I also found here 'sort by category' principle helpful. For example collecting all the cleaning products from kitchen and utility and bathrooms and loos together for sorting/discarding. I now have necessities in each place and all the backup/spares in utility room. So much less clutter, half empty containers, old sponges and cloths etc.

If you do nothing else, try with cleaning materials!

RepentAtLeisure Sun 30-Oct-16 16:18:42

I appreciate your point, but since clearing out all the extraneous junk from my wardrobe I've bought a lot less clothing and spend less time deciding what to wear. It's about not living under a huge chaotic mess of every disposable fashion trend from the past ten years, freeing up time for More Important Things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now