Which Lumea?

(9 Posts)
SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Fri 28-Oct-16 21:04:04

Boots seem to have a sale on some of the Phillips Lumea range and I have been wanting one for a while so am about to splurge.

Any particular good or bad 'uns?

I can go up to about £350 or slightly higher which covers quite a lot as they are well-discounted.

I need it mostly for face tbh blush but will have a go at legs too and if I ever get around to it, armpits. But face is the main area so I obv need to get one of the kind with facial attachment.

Is it worth going for the most expensive one in the face category or do the cheaper models still get good results?

NowYouSeeMeNowYouDont Fri 28-Oct-16 21:13:09

Whichever one you get, watch out with long gaps between uses. I went about 6 months and it doesn't work anymore, won't even charge. I googled it and found loads of website forums where Philips say you have to use it or lose it, apparently the battery dries out or something? Don't know if it's true but what they say fits my experience and it's a rather expensive mistake to make. Has put me off buying a replacement tbh.

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Fri 28-Oct-16 21:15:33

To add: I'm pretty much choosing between these two:

www.boots.com/en/Philips-SC2007-00-Lumea-IPL-Ultimate-cordless-hair-removal-device-on-body-and-face_1722609/

www.boots.com/en/Philips-SC2009-00-Lumea-IPL-Ultimate-cordless-hair-removal-device-on-body-face-and-bikini_1713991/

I can't honestly tell the difference except price which may mean the more expensive one just lasts longer or is more powerful or something?

Happy to pay more if it means a much better result but don't want to pay more if it's pointless.

I have fair skin and dark hair and have had successful laser treatment in the past (I know IPL is different) at a salon but can no longer afford time or money to go back for repeat treatments (it was years ago now and the hair has come back, also started to come up in different places like my chin!!)

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Fri 28-Oct-16 21:16:32

Ah thank you NowYoueSeeMe, that's really helpful.

Hm, it would be an expensive mistake to make but am just so keen to try one of these as chin hairs are the bane of my life and I just can't keep going to have them lasered...

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 28-Oct-16 21:18:00

I bought the most expensive device and tbh I'm not that pleased with it. Initially results were really good but it never really got rid of more than half my leg hair. So disappointing, esp given the price.

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Fri 28-Oct-16 21:21:44

Thank you Lucky sad that's helpful but not great news.

Struggling with annoying chin hairs and just hopeful for SOMETHING that will reduce them. I'm not that fussed about legs tbh if it could at least reduce awful chin and lip sprouts!!

pennycarbonara Fri 28-Oct-16 22:01:31

I found the Lumea fairly ineffective and have had better results with the Tria. (thick dark hair, top ups after old salon lasering, plus on more recent chin hairs)

SomeDayMyPrinceMightCome Fri 28-Oct-16 22:27:49

Thanks penny!

Have you used the Tria anywhere except face? From what I can see online it seems to be a slower method? Which probably doesn't bother me too much as I would be tackling the face as the most important area and then not too fussed about legs etc. But still, might be nice to have the option of going faster.

But I really just want to pick the option that works best! It's a big purchase for me, a huge chunk of my birthday money/bits and bobs I've saved for a while for exactly this - so I do want to minimise the risk of getting some useless gadget! I don't expect miracles but I don't want something that barely has any effect.

pennycarbonara Sat 29-Oct-16 08:00:43

Have you used the Tria anywhere except face? Yes, though not as often anywhere else, because face is the area where new hair appeared since I had the salon treatments, and the bit I'm most bothered about. I do find it more effective in other areas too, though still not as fast acting as the salon treatments.

* From what I can see online it seems to be a slower method?* The nozzle (?) covers a smaller surface area. But given the indifferent effect the Lumea had for me, the Tria is faster than keeping plugging away with the Lumea and it not really doing anything - e.g. there was a patch where it banished some hairs for a few months, then they came back, and another where it never seemed to do anything to them.

It's a difficult call, you can't be sure one person will react the same way as another, even though your last paragraph in the second post is true of me as well:
I have fair skin and dark hair and have had successful laser treatment in the past (I know IPL is different) at a salon but can no longer afford time or money to go back for repeat treatments (it was years ago now and the hair has come back, also started to come up in different places like my chin!!)
Lumeas do sell well second hand but there is obviously still some loss.
I had both laser treatment and IPL in salons. Early IPL didn't seem to be strong enough on my hair and the first stuff I had that worked was laser, but as the salon IPL machines got more powerful they did work. My hunch is the Lumea is more like those early IPL machines as they don't sell a stronger one for home use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now