Talk

Advanced search

Bra wires popping through - is it the end ?

(9 Posts)
habibihabibi Fri 28-Oct-16 19:20:53

Another bra down after a few months . Any repair tips ? I am abroad and usually buy back home in the summer so a PIA to replace .
Happens all to my bras the time despite using a wash bag in the machine . Perhaps brand ( Lepel Fiore)
Do I have to hand wash?

chattygranny Fri 28-Oct-16 19:26:26

I have stitched over the ends before to give them a few more weeks but basically yes.

ilovecherries Fri 28-Oct-16 19:39:18

Yep, it's over. If they can be pushed back in you can sometimes nurse them along for a few weeks by overstitching then a dab of clear nail polish.

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 28-Oct-16 20:06:15

Have you been bra interventioned? It can be a sign you're in the wrong cup size, strain on the wires and all that. Used to happen to me all the time when I thought I was a D (I'm an F)

WesternMeadowlark Fri 28-Oct-16 20:36:03

If possible where you are, you can buy some thick PVC-type material, cut a piece about 1.25" x 0.75" (bra size dependent), hook it over the edge of the bra where the wire casing ends, effectively creating a plastic reinforcement for the end of the casing, and lightly glue it in place to hold it while you sew a patch of stretchy fabric - such as jersey - over the top of it, sewing around the edges of the plastic, using a stretchy stitch, such as zig-zag.

It's a pain in the arse, though. (And usually doesn't look neat, if that's a concern. Though I've had compliments on my patched-up bras, so you never know, I guess!) Cheaper than a replacement, but an annoying task.

BringMeTea Fri 28-Oct-16 20:39:00

Yes. RIP bra.

TitsCrossed Fri 28-Oct-16 20:39:53

Yy consider your bra size. Wires don't pop out of proper fitting bras.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Fri 28-Oct-16 20:40:18

I have no idea, but you reminded me of why I no longer wear underwired bras. I had my first job interview in years, and wore a very smart suit with a V-neck (blouse had similar neckline). All seemed to go well until I got in the car to go home and realised that my underwire had worked loose and was waving at me from my cleavage like some kind of weird chest-worm.
I didn't get the job. it went to someone less qualified but more able to control her underwear. (For a while I clung to the vain hope that nobody had noticed, but friend who works there gleefully told me that everyone had seen it!).

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 28-Oct-16 20:48:39

My wires come out and they definitely fit properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now