Talk

Advanced search

Skin care routine and products for over 55s

(12 Posts)
ilovecherries Fri 28-Oct-16 17:38:20

Ok, I accept I'm probably about 45 years too late to be worrying about this. I'm genetically very lucky with my skin - no forehead wrinkles, no 11s, no deep lines round my mouth. Some crows feet and hooded eyelids, but that's it. I've never done anything with my face except wash it in the shower with whatever soap or gel is in there (yes, I know!). Never moisturised in my life. Probably helped by living in a low pollution area where it rains a lot. But at 56, I feel I maybe need to be more proactive PLUS I've started to use more make up recently, and I've noticed some tiny thread veins, simply because I'm magnifying my face to put it on! Where to start? What do I need and what do I go with it? Help me, old wise ones! I'm hoping my luck will continue because my 90 year old parents are both remarkably unwizened, and my gran died at 98 with a peachy face. As I hope I'm good at least till that age, maybe I should be more proactive.

Floisme Fri 28-Oct-16 19:08:50

I'm 60. Not too many wrinkles apart from number 11s, which I've had since I was about 19 and nose-mouth lines. I've still aged uite a bit in the last few years through my face filling out into a round moon, coupled with a sagging jawline. Some days I feel like my face is disappearing if that makes sense and frankly I'd prefer wrinkles which would give a bit more definition.

Anyway sorry, you were asking about skincare not the state of my face! My routine is very minimalist as I have really sensitive skin so I stick to a small number of tried and trusted products. I use either almond oil or wheatgerm oil as both cleanser and moisturiser plus a separate sunscreen - and that's it. If I feel I need extra moisturiser, I trust Neal's Yard Frankincense cream or Dr Organic olive oil cream (Holland and Barrett) or blue pot Nivea but nothing else.

So maybe I'm not the best person to ask but I would say if it's not broke, don't fix it. My only advice to you would be to use a sunscreen and to throw away the magnifying mirror.

ilovecherries Sat 29-Oct-16 09:25:33

Yeah, getting rid of the magnifying mirror might be the best solution. Now you mention it, my jawline has softened a lot in the last couple of years as well.

BlueBlueSkies Sat 29-Oct-16 09:45:24

Go and have a skin care consultation. Most department stores have beauty departments, some large boots too. Estee Lauder is good for older skin, see what they recommend. Start with a good night cream and see if that helps. Boots number 7 do a range for older skin too.

specialsubject Sat 29-Oct-16 09:56:01

You have proved the obvious that there is no need for silly skin creams. Don't smoke, wear sunscreen, remove makeup at night ,job done.

NicknameUsed Sat 29-Oct-16 10:08:43

The problem with a skin care consultation is that they will try and sell you expensive products that you don't need.

I am 58 and have good skin. I have been moisturising it since I was 15, and have used all sorts of moisturisers. I don't have sensitive skin and just like moisturisers that aren't too rich. A lot of the skincare products aimed at my age group are too rich and feel like greasy slicks on my skin.

I am currently using the Boots no7 Protect and Perfect creams which are light and suit my skin perfectly.

My advice would be to ask for sample skin creams from everywhere and try then until you find one you like. Make sure it has a good SPF as well.

PollyPerky Sat 29-Oct-16 10:18:29

TBH it's too late. The best thing you can do is start using sunscreen daily (SPF 25+), give up the booze and eat loads of good fats (omega 3 etc).

There is a saying that' by 50 you have the face you deserve'- it's about lifestyle.

I am over 55 don't have any wrinkles, but my jaw is starting to sag at the bottom of my cheeks into tiny pouches and if necessary I will in time have a tweak of filler or whatever to hoik it up.

Best you can do is keep out of the sun (though damage will be done), and slap on any old moisturiser to stop it dehydrating. Use make up , get a good hair cut and colour, and smile smile

ilovecherries Sat 29-Oct-16 12:25:29

I don't really have much sun damage at all - saw a dermatologist about a funny spot on my neck about 18 months ago, and he looked at my entire face under a light thing and commented that I didn't and my skin was in much better nick than was usual for someone my age. I think it's a combo of always living in a rainy climate, never being a sun worshipper and always being made to wear a sun hat when I was growing up. I've never had sunburn in my life - although I know sun damage is also about exposure, not isolated incidents. Also not much of a drinker, haven't smoked, etc. And good genes, thankfully! I just feel I shouldn't be as complacent as I have been, and give nature a hand now.

Floisme Sat 29-Oct-16 12:30:14

I think the main reasons why my skin is still in relatively good nick are down to luck rather than judgement: not smoking, not sunbathing (couldn't get on with either) and stumbling on a moisturiser with sunscreen (Olay) in my 20s.

I would say everything else has, at best, made no difference at all while some stuff has arguably made my skin a lot worse by triggering sensitivities.

ilovecherries Sat 29-Oct-16 12:54:39

I can't even claim to have sensitive skin - there is something in one of the washing powders that makes me itch and a deodorant that makes me sneeze, but otherwise I'm like an old boot. I've been reading up on stuff like acid peels though, and wondering how they are different from giving my face a brisk once over with a clean face cloth every night. I'm not against buying or trying stuff, I just don't want to burn money if it's all hype. Olay - ah, does it still have the same smell? My other grandma (not the one who rolled into her grave at 98 looking pretty amazing) always had a bottle of the pink stuff on her dressing table, and I still smile when I see it in Boots. Maybe I should buy some of that, she always smelled of it.

ilovecherries Sat 29-Oct-16 12:56:43

Realising that didn't sound quite right. Didn't mean Olay smells unpleasant- she always smelled lovely.

NicknameUsed Sat 29-Oct-16 13:03:23

"I've been reading up on stuff like acid peels though, and wondering how they are different from giving my face a brisk once over with a clean face cloth every night"

I have thought the same. It sounds like a bit of hype to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now