Talk

Advanced search

Can i look stylish in this?

(44 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 27-Oct-16 19:40:25

this is a shameless bump I'm afraid, but what's the general opinion on dresses like this? Quite stuff but stretchy fabric, just above knee length. I'm quite curvy, and on a bad day my tummy swells but if I go low carb it stay sort of flat so not sure if it would look bulky. I find it so hard to look in the mirror and be objective, I'm always anxious about the photos that make me realise I look terrible in it.
Can't decide if it's right or not. And what jacket would you put with it?

NightNightBadger19962 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:48:16

If I was buying this and thought it would gape between the buttons on my chest or tummy, I would stitch it up just for that section (have done this for lots of shirts, as long as still room to pull them on).

I think it's gorgeous, but would have to try it on first.

keeponkeepinon Thu 27-Oct-16 20:05:15

It's not bad at all for gaping to be honest and I had thought if it was I could stitch or pin it. I was warned about it rising when you sit down too but it's OK. I'm more worried about it being too bulky looking.
A bigger size seems to make me feel bigger because the fabric is so stiff, but then the next size down could be very unforgiving. Like I say, I am a poor judge of myself in the mirror. Can't post photos either sorry

keeponkeepinon Thu 27-Oct-16 20:05:49

Do you think this dress is OK for most body shapes?

MiniCooperLover Thu 27-Oct-16 20:11:57

This would not work for big boobs .. needs a skinny shape I think personally

keeponkeepinon Thu 27-Oct-16 20:19:21

Hmm. I'm afraid of looking like a walking denim brick in it! Alexa chung types only? I definitely do not fit I to this category

Nettletheelf Thu 27-Oct-16 23:19:04

Stylish, no. Cute, maybe?

keeponkeepinon Fri 28-Oct-16 07:06:37

I was thinking it'd be OK for a night out with black tights and ankle boots. Might be boiling hot to wear indoors though.
But what on earth jacket would you put over it?

Floisme Fri 28-Oct-16 07:43:23

I normally like denim because it has a bit of structure but I'm suspicious of the way the model has her arm over her stomach. It makes me wonder whether it hangs well and if you say it's very bulky then it probably doesn't.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:05:10

I love it. What size are you (if you don't mind me asking). If you can fit your boobs in without it gapping then I say go for it. I'm tempted myself. Is it true to size?

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:07:35

Also I would wear it with bare legs and a pair of coloured ankle boots or brown boots. Or thick tights and matching boots. I.e. Burgundy tights and burgundy boots, that's how I like to roll. Lol

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:09:10

Fake fur jacket.

HmmmmBop Fri 28-Oct-16 08:11:10

Definitely not good for big boobs, I don't think I would wear it because I am hourglass but I do like it. It's more a Fearne Cotton type dress though I think - someone with that figure.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:14:23

Hmmmbop I think it could look good with big boobs so long as it fits well OP we need a picture of you in the dress!!!! I had a denim dress from Oasis a few years back. I loved it.

BabyGanoush Fri 28-Oct-16 08:20:12

I think it can't be worn tight, a bit like a shirt, it ought to "hang", not cling?

Rudymentary Fri 28-Oct-16 08:23:58

I would wear it with the sleeves rolled up and the top buttons undone with close fitting top under (either vest/camisole/long sleeve depending on weather) opaques and ankle boots.
Jacket - Biker or long wool coat over.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:26:15

I think we really need to see it on the OP! I'm so tempted to order this bloody dress now as I love denim and I love dresses. OP I cannot believe this, I was looking at Oasis dresses the other day, this one must be very new, I want the Tweed Flippy Skater Dress.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 08:32:41

RudyMentary I like your way of thinking, and then if the buttons are a bit strained it doesn't matter. Nice idea.

christinarossetti Fri 28-Oct-16 08:36:53

You really need to try it on. It's the sort of dress that will look great with some body types, and just not work with others.

HmmmmBop Fri 28-Oct-16 08:52:11

Buttons undone would look better with boobs, a high neckline like that would make me look like Hattie Jacques in Carry on Matron done up to the top (even though I'm a size 10)

keeponkeepinon Fri 28-Oct-16 10:01:37

I wouldn't have it fastened to the top, I'd put a black vest top underneath and leave a few buttons open and it sort of stretchy as well as stiff so doesn't strain really.
If I got a big enough one that would 'hang' then it'd have to be huge, I think it's a dress that needs to be quite fitted.
I'm a 14 btw. I just don't know if it is such a block colour that it would make me look bigger if that makes sense. If I manage to lose just a stone I probably wouldn't even question it. I feel bulky myself so I am worried this might make me bulkier.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 10:39:22

OP If you don't feel comfortable in it then return it. But I really like it. I'm very tempted to get it. What's the boob allowance on it? Tight, normal or small? I just love it.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 10:40:26

Also doesn't it being a block colour make you look slimmer?

keeponkeepinon Fri 28-Oct-16 11:00:34

I only tried it for a couple of minutes last night. I'd say it's true to size but fitted on the bust. If the denim gives a bit with wear as well which is likely then it'd loosen anyway. I'm a g and they are contained in both the 12 and 14, though the 12 is definitely more snug. I'll try it again tonight and see what Dh thinks.

BusterGonad Fri 28-Oct-16 11:07:09

Your a G and it fits. I'm a E or F and a large 14. Goodness I might have to order this. Would you say a 14 would be ok? I know you've never seen me in my life but you know, every little helps! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now