Wash off cleanser for dry sensitive skin

(23 Posts)
Eliza22 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:43:20

Am using Liz Earle at the moment but have abandoned the muslin cloth. My skin's gone so dry, sensitive and dare I say, fine-line/tired looking. Am coming up on 55 and until recently didn't look it but now, I look ghastly and my skin is irritated and bleeds easily if I scratch. I think it's all sodding menopausal in origin but it's crap!

Any recommendations? This morning I had a sweep of toner over my face after my shower as my skin just felt sore, even with just water in it. It's madness!

Thanks

user1475253854 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:43:14

I'm finding the cerave cleanser very gentle without being drying at the moment.

wiltingfast Tue 25-Oct-16 13:52:38

Cetaphil is good. Such dull packaging, but it works.

thewideeyedpea Tue 25-Oct-16 13:54:48

The bodyshop Pomegranate softening cleanser is lovely.

Lovelybangers Tue 25-Oct-16 13:59:50

Cetaphil is very gentle. Not great a removing eye make up though.

Another to try is Green People www.greenpeople.co.uk/shop/by-product/natural-skin-care/organic-cleanser-face-wash-products/gentle-cleanse-make-up-remover

wiltingfast Tue 25-Oct-16 14:36:14

I find cetaphil is ok if I use a hot cloth to take off the eye make up. Wash with cetaphil, soak cloth and press against eyes, rub off. Might take a few goes alright.

I wouldn't use toner at all tbh OP. I'm not sure it's good for sensitive skin?

Cakescakescakes Tue 25-Oct-16 16:24:16

I use Bioderma Sensibio micellar water to remove my eye make up as its the only thing that doesn't irritate my eyes. Then a balm cleanser with a soft flannel, not a scratchy muslin. Clinique take the day off balm is good for reactive skin. Or the Toleriane range from La Roche Posay.

Housewife2010 Tue 25-Oct-16 16:28:06

I wouldn't recommend Cetaphil. Eucerin do a nice cleansing lotion which you can also rinse off. I use it when my skin is sensitive. www.carolinehirons.com/2016/09/cetaphil-cleanser.html?m=1

Eliza22 Tue 25-Oct-16 16:34:17

😊 Never heard of Caroline Heirons but she pulls no punches in that Cetaphil review!

Thanks for the replies. Will google recommendations and read reviews.

JamieVardysParty Tue 25-Oct-16 16:40:30

Absolutely nothing foaming. Cetaphil is also very drying.

I have similar skin and love the Body Shop Vitamin E range and Alpha H cleansers.

jalopy Tue 25-Oct-16 17:03:04

Cetaphil is great and not drying to my skin.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Tue 25-Oct-16 17:05:02

Boots camomile butte.

Seriously.

motherinferior Tue 25-Oct-16 17:14:53

Cetaphil doesn't foam on my skin or dry it; I find it excellent.

KatoPotato Tue 25-Oct-16 17:16:49

Soap and Glory Peaches and Cream is excellent! I was recommended it on MN.

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 17:22:15

Interesting. I've started using Cetaphil and my skin is soooo sore.

Indecisivejo Tue 25-Oct-16 19:56:29

Dermalogica ultracalming cleanser is very gentle and can either be rinsed off or wiped off with cotton or flannel

Beautifullymixed Tue 25-Oct-16 20:05:48

I love cetaphil. Blooming love it!
I smooth it on my rosacea prone skin, then cleanse with a damp cloth. I do this twice, then acid tone.
I'm not changing at all smile

AppleMagic Tue 25-Oct-16 20:13:01

I'm confused by that review because Cetaphil doesn't foam at all ime. I have very sensitive skin and it's one of the few products bland enough for me.

ChickenVindaloo Tue 25-Oct-16 21:23:31

Cetaphil puts me neither up nor down.
You're right to ditch the muslin cloth.
Also ditch the Liz Earle.
Personally, I would switch to a wipe-off cleanser such as La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermocleanser or Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser.

JamieVardysParty Tue 25-Oct-16 21:26:51

Apple, if you're referring to my comment, it's meant as two separate sentences. So generally to use absolutely nothing foaming and then separately that Cetaphil is drying, on top of what PP had said.

It's also tested on animals so that massively puts me off further.

AppleMagic Tue 25-Oct-16 21:56:00

No CH says it in her review too Jamie.

teta Wed 26-Oct-16 08:45:37

I use Eucerin and find it soothing,bland and nonirritating.It doesn't foam and probably wouldn't be suitable to remove heavy make up.Dd1 with Acne also uses it as she needs a mild. Cleanser with her Benzyl peroxide gel.Why is there this blind belief in whatever one particular blogger says.A blogger with no scientific qualifications whatsoever.
Clinique's Cleansing Balm is another really good soothing Cleanser.

teta Wed 26-Oct-16 11:00:37

Cetaphil,not Eucerin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now