Talk

Advanced search

Should I let my hair go grey?

(10 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Mon 24-Oct-16 08:18:03

I have been going noticeably grey since my early 20s. I'm now 39. I wear my hair in a short dark brown pixie - I have always been a brunette. Now I'm considering letting it go grey/white. Am worried it'll age me.... WWYD?

mumtomaxwell Mon 24-Oct-16 08:19:36

Sorry - should have added... it's prob about 80% white/grey at the roots!

TimTamTerrier Mon 24-Oct-16 08:21:42

I went grey in my 30s and dyed it up until this year. I have gone grey and quite like it, it definitely doesn't look as good as dyed hair as a dark hair colour suits me better than a pale one, but I don't miss the pain in the neck of having to keep up with the roots. I'm a lot older than you though, I'm 49. I'm not sure I would have been ready to go grey at 39.

Thefitfatty Mon 24-Oct-16 08:26:27

I've gone grey and everyone says it looks fantastic. I agree, it makes me look younger. I'm 35. smile

rifat1234 Mon 24-Oct-16 08:47:09

Try it for a month. You can always revert to dying it if after one month and your still not comfortable. At least, you get some time out in dying your hair or save some bucks for more beers instead of going to salon for a hair dye.

ConkerTriumphant Mon 24-Oct-16 09:09:51

There's a thread running today called 'Stopping colouring my hair' in AIBU which is getting more traffic.

I have a pixie cut and had completely grown out my dye in 2 or 3 cuts. The transition is not nice but at least it's quick!

My hair is now grey and I love it. I get loads of comments about it. I'm 46 and I don't look older - I look 46 with hair that completely matches my skin tone.

Have a look at the Facebook group Going Gorgeously Gray.

ConkerTriumphant Mon 24-Oct-16 11:38:56

Ha! Just realised that it's YOUR thread I've just directed you to! blush

StillMedusa Mon 24-Oct-16 21:01:51

I stopped colouring 13 months ago.. I'm about half and half now. First 5 months were awful, but then it sort of blended, and while I miss my old brown, it hadn't been natural for years, and now the grey is almost like highlights as it is coming through in streaks.

I'm not going back to colouring... it is in so much better condition and no more roots, or hassle!

sohackedoff Mon 24-Oct-16 21:05:28

I spent all of last year growing my dye out. I now have brown/grey hair. Don't regret it at all now it's done but hated the process. Go for it!

EyeSaidTheFly Mon 24-Oct-16 21:49:19

I've been grey for a while. I'm asian, so it's quite unusual because the cultural norm is to dye it forever.

It is great. I get loads of compliments. Personally, I'd rather have it all dark brown but I suspect the reason I get compliments on the grey is just because I carry myself with confidence. Most of all what I value is just being at peace with my body. I learnt from my mum that dying your hair all the time and living with roots in between is a mug's game.

I ain't no mug. brew wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now