Talk

Advanced search

Salon v Home Laser Hair Removal

(20 Posts)
Misskittycat16 Sun 23-Oct-16 10:49:36

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

Just as the tittle says really, I've suffered with facial hair since I was 11 ( now 39!!) it's making me feel so rubbish about myself. It's defined me as a person which is sad really. I've tried lots of different products/medication over the years but as we are ttc I can't use most of them.
I want to invest in myself so is it better to pay for treatments at a salon or buy something that I can use at home, if so what is the best piece of kit to get?

Tia

Mrstumbletap Sun 23-Oct-16 17:40:35

Depends on the colour, is the hair dark or blonde?

botemp Sun 23-Oct-16 18:16:25

Colour does matter, as does skin tone. Dark hair, pale skin is the ideal combo.

The at home devices while somewhat effective are semi-permanent and if we're talking purely for the face is a rather large investment as only the Lumea seems to have a decent reputation. A proper laser (not IPL) preferably under the supervision of a medical professional will give the most permanent results.

Hormonal fluctuations will influence this though, I have PCOS therefore needed more sessions than most but now suffice with an annual top up. All the faff and irritation that usually came with excess facial hair ceased to be after about the second session. It's so very much worth it.

Misskittycat16 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:55:30

Thank you both for the replies.

Sorry I meant to put that in my OP
I have dark hair but I'm quite pale so it sounds like I've got that bit right at least!
I definitely have some form of Polycystic Ovaries I'm sure.

Cost is a bit of an issue but I think professional treatment will probably be better.

botemp Sun 23-Oct-16 20:01:23

I'm in a different country but over here my health insurance pays for it on account of the PCOS, perhaps the NHS has similar allowances?

Misskittycat16 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:09:31

Thank you. I'll have a look at that.

It's encouraging to hear you've had some good results with the laser hair removal. Do you have to let it grow before a treatment?

botemp Sun 23-Oct-16 20:18:31

For the first time they need to map it out, take pictures, understand the starting position, etc. That was the worst bit in all honesty as it's no fun to grow it all out, I was allowed to trim it a bit with nail clippers provided I didn't cut to the root.

In between sessions you have to dry shave which sounds horrible but is actually fine (just buy some cheap Tinkle eyebrow shavers from Amazon) and after the first few sessions there's noticeably less hair so it becomes far less bothersome and obvious.

I usually let it grow out a bit now for my therapist to assess but it's one or two dark hairs at most that go unnoticed and it wouldn't be absolutely necessary either.

I'd try to get started on it soon though, the process makes you very photosensitive (you'll need to wear SPF50 daily, which is good practice regardless) but my therapist advised against doing it in the summer in order to avoid the possibility of melasma and/or hyperpigmentation despite having no history of either.

Shenanagins Sun 23-Oct-16 20:34:01

I wasn't able to continue with treatment when I was pregnant so you might need to put it on hold if your ttc.

Misskittycat16 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:37:03

Gosh it's such a PITA isn't it. No quick fix! I think I'll contact some therapists and see what they recommend. Maybe I should just start the process and take it from there.
Really appreciate you all responding.

pinkiponk Sun 23-Oct-16 21:40:53

I'm currently having laser hair removal, professionally In a salon, and I can't recommend it enough! I'm nearly done with the treatment now and hair has pretty much all gone!
It's also not that painful, they build up to the stronger lasers over time so not too bad smile

Misskittycat16 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:26:16

That's good to hear pink. I'm not too worried about the pain but I don't want to go through it all if the hair is just going to grow back but it sounds as though most people have had good results.

Mrstumbletap Mon 24-Oct-16 08:15:22

I had proper laser on my legs and bikini over the course of the year, was about £1600 but best money I have ever spent. I was always hairy and shaving was good for about an hour. My legs are great now.

The hair on my face is blonde though so nothing really shifts it. I have the lumea for my armpits purely for cost as I thought it would just be cheaper to do it at home and it worked well.

Smellslikeoranges Mon 24-Oct-16 10:57:31

I have a lumea and it is great for underarms, bikini and legs. Nearly all hair has gone or there has been a huge reduction. For body it's way cheaper than salon treatment and I can do it while watching the tv. But it's not nearly so effective for facial hair (and my knees oddly). I have to go a salon for that and it is nearly gone after a couple of months.

Mrstumbletap Wed 26-Oct-16 08:14:35

Agree with smellslikeoranges it rubbish on the knees, I have had lazer and the knee hair still won't budge!

Misskittycat16 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:20:46

Random to be rubbish on the knees!

It's just my face that I really want to treat. I'm a bit embarrassed about going into a salon and letting it grow but I'm getting married in 2018 and I really don't want to have to worry about it then.

Have people had any success with gone treatments on the face and neck area?

Misskittycat16 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:23:21

Home not gone!

Smellslikeoranges Sat 29-Oct-16 07:09:56

Yes. It has been really effective for the chin hair on my face. It takes a couple of months before you see the effect. They advise you to shave in between. It is better for the hair to be short rather long. No need to worry about having to grow it for a treatment. I'd advise salon treatment definitely for your face and neck.

Misskittycat16 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:06:57

Thank you. I'm definitely going down the professional route. Great to know I don't have to let it grow, that's put my mind at ease as that was my main concern ( I have to shave it off everyday anyway). Fun times thlconfused

cjbk1 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:14:02

Hmmmm shame about knees I really will save for laser treatment on day but my knees are very hairy and knobbly and dark and don't come up well with epilator so I was hoping the laser would solve that problem thlhmm

botemp Sat 29-Oct-16 19:28:57

The fact that the skin is dark is probably why it's harder there along with all the curvature issues. If you acid tone your face you can try using the remnants on the knees (I do elbows too) helps brighten up the skin there and remove some of the darkness that's built up dead skin. Though you probably shouldn't use an AHA on the days leading up to laser removal as it makes you photosensitive.

I do laser on moustache area, chin, jaws and one lost persistent hair on the neck. Seems to be no issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now