Talk

Advanced search

Girls' COTTON nighties

(24 Posts)
FannyWincham Sat 22-Oct-16 19:59:37

I'm looking for cotton jersey nighties, ideally long-sleeved, for DD (4). I've tried John Lewis, M&S, Next, all of the supermarkets, but they are all polyester. Boden and the White Company both have lovely cotton nighties but at £22+ each I'm looking for some cheaper alternatives first...

Fuzzypeggy Sat 22-Oct-16 20:06:28

I had this problem and in the end
Bought some cotton jersey dresses from H&M and use these as nighties. Lots of colours, style very simple so work as a nighty.

OlennasWimple Sat 22-Oct-16 20:07:33

I read somewhere that nighties have to have polyester in them so that they are more fire retardent (nighties being more likely to waft past candles and catch alight than PJs, I guess), so you might be on a wold goose chase...

Artandco Sat 22-Oct-16 20:15:00

I would stick to looking at the white company. They do sale items at the end of each season and most go at least half price

Also they only really need two pairs of pjs as presumably can wear a few nights as put on when clean. One on and one in wash. If you buy size 5-6 they should get a good 2 years out of them. And they wear for half the year if you think most 4 year olds prob sleep 11+ hours a day.

Artandco Sat 22-Oct-16 20:16:27

Olenna - polyester is far more flammable than cotton!

FannyWincham Sat 22-Oct-16 20:17:23

Yes - as I understand it nighties have to have additional flame-proofing over and above pjs because they are waftier. This must hike the price significantly for cotton.

Artandco Sat 22-Oct-16 20:21:55

These are not nighties, but all the pyjamas on this page are cotton

www.marksandspencer.com/l/kids/all-girls/pyjamas-and-dressing-gowns?filters=4294963794&mcp_filters_filterPanelOpen=true&mcptredirect

Northanter Sat 22-Oct-16 20:26:33

Europe has different flame retardency regulations for nightwear. It is possible you could buy some from an online retailer in, say, France, and get them sent.

But sometimes you come up against regulations against importing them altogether.
If you or any acquaintance are planning a trip to Europe, you can ask them to get you one (or several, in lots of sizes!) - you can usually get them pretty cheaply in H&M or C&A in France and Belgium at least, probably elsewhere too.

FannyWincham Sat 22-Oct-16 20:32:20

Thanks Art - finding cotton pjs is never a problem which is why I was so surprised that I couldn't find nighties too.

Artandco Sat 22-Oct-16 20:36:15

Yep, i have boys so pjs only here!

DubiousCredentials Sat 22-Oct-16 21:01:55

ebay

bit quirky but nice

age 3-4?

MissRainbowBrite Sat 22-Oct-16 21:10:50

Boden have 25% off from tomorrow until Thursday if that helps with the price a little, can't remember the code but a quick Google should bring it up.

DubiousCredentials Sat 22-Oct-16 21:12:32

Also AN638 for 20% and free delivery at White Company if you want to try there. Although I think WC and Boden will still be around £20 for a nightie even with discounts.

LittlePJS Tue 08-Nov-16 14:56:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AllTheShoes Tue 08-Nov-16 21:42:37

The White Company one we have is nice but a bit crunchy when line dried. The Boden ones are much softer - I'd go for those again, we've got one which started out floor length and is going to last until it's knee length quite happily. You could wait for the sale, or maybe put some in your basket and not check out, which sometimes makes them send you a code.

jennymac Wed 09-Nov-16 12:52:59

Monsoon used to do them. Might be a bit cheaper than Boden and the WC.

Dulcimena Wed 09-Nov-16 13:11:03

Have you looked in primark? Over the summer I ended up there in desperation having searched everywhere for a pure cotton slip, and found a cotton nightie that did the trick perfectly. No idea what their kidswear section is like, but worth a look maybe?

allthecoffeeplease Wed 09-Nov-16 13:49:43

I think I posted on here about a year ago with the exact same quandry, non-polyester nighties. I think there is some ruling dating back to open fires that nighties must have flame retardants (I might be wrong). Anyway, I eventually found these ones lanabambini.co.uk/store/organic-cotton-nightdress.html they are not long sleeved but organic cotton and come highly recommended.

shirkingworking Wed 09-Nov-16 14:42:50

Had the exact same problem last year and also resorted to WC and Boden - with discount codes at least. It's very annoying!

jennymor123 Thu 05-Jan-17 12:53:23

The UK has separate regulations regarding flammability of children's nightwear (The Nightwear (Safety) Regulations 1985). In essence, these require nightdresses to comply with the flammability standards cited in the regs but for pyjamas, it's optional. This is because nightdresses are free-flowing and therefore more likely to catch light, and for the flames to spread quickly. Polyester passes the tests and that's why most nightdresses are made from it. Yes, it burns quicker than cotton, and a child will suffer nasty injuries, but they are more likely to survive than if cotton catches light. Cotton nightdresses for sale in the UK will either be illegal or treated with flame retardants - the problem there being, a) your child's blood will instantly absorb the FRs, and b) with washing, they cease to be effective anyway.

The EU has nightwear flammability requirements but they're very mild. If you want to buy non-flame retardant cotton nighties, it's perfectly legal to buy them over the internet from companies not based in the EU. You couldn't, however, sell them on again in the UK.

Liiinoo Thu 05-Jan-17 13:11:40

I love Primark cotton jesrsey nighties and pjs for me. Why not try there?

IJustLostTheGame Thu 05-Jan-17 17:08:38

Bluebell and co. do them:
bluebelleandco.com/sleepwear/girls-nightwear/pyjamas/jersey-pyjama-garden-fairy
They're on the pricey side but the quality is really good.

Freshlysqueezed Thu 05-Jan-17 19:21:28

I ordered a few lovely cotton ones for my 6 year old in monsoon sale. £11, 100% cotton, wash well and pretty design

jennymor123 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:38:43

Just bear in mind that if you've bought a cotton nightdress for a child it will either be illegal and flammable or legal and drenched in flame retardant chemicals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now