Talk

Advanced search

Sunscreen following laser treatment

(11 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 22-Oct-16 15:52:20

I've just had my 1st course of laser treatment for veins and redness. I'm aware I now need to be very careful about wearing sunscreen. The therapist suggested a zinc oxide or titanium oxide based sunscreen.

I've done some research and Paula's Choice says the same as the therapist but also suggests a product without too many ingredients which are bad for rosacea such as essential oils, plant extracts and synthetic oils.

Can anyone recommend something?

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 22-Oct-16 17:03:42

Anyone?

botemp Sat 22-Oct-16 17:49:30

SPF 50 I assume? If you have the money Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 from Skinceuticals is good for sensitive skin and highly rated by PC but if you search for mineral or physical sunscreen you'll have more choice. PC do a decent one too but may only be SPF 30.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 22-Oct-16 18:08:25

I think the therapist uses a 50 after the laser treatment so presumably that's what I should be using. The PC one I saw on her site was only 30. Thanks, will take a look.

botemp Sat 22-Oct-16 19:16:05

Yes, my therapist recommends SPF50 too but it's hard to get a nice mineral one in SPF50. Clinique also recently released an all mineral one that's also quite fluid, should be somewhat more affordable and easier to try out. All other mineral sunscreens I can think of (Avene, Coola, etc.) at a lower price point are somewhat less pleasant to wear on a day to day basis.

goldielookingchain Sat 22-Oct-16 21:43:42

Heliocare advanced SPF50 is the best on the market imo

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sun 23-Oct-16 09:03:33

What's the difference in protection between mineral and non-mineral if they're both SPF50?

Lucked Sun 23-Oct-16 09:10:24

Can I ask a bit about your problems and the treatment? I think I need this but I am not really sure who I should seek out or how much it will cost. Also how do you look immediately after the treatment?

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sun 23-Oct-16 09:27:01

I've always had high colour and spent loads on make up that masked it. Over the years I've also developed thread veins probably due to sun exposure. I've never been sure if I have rosacea or not, my mum is very similar in colouring so I assumed it was just my skin tone rather than a condition like rosacea but I could be wrong. I also blush very easily even when not embarrassed.

I've known for ages that laser treatment can help and my local clinic offers treatments so I'm having it. It was quite sore immediately afterwards, like sunburn, but within a couple of hours had gone down considerably. Hope that helps!

botemp Sun 23-Oct-16 09:33:52

Mineral (physical/inorganic) and chemical (organic) offer similar protection but do so with inorganic or organic UV filters.

The SPF rating only refers to the protection against UVB rays. A PPD rating (rarely seen on a ss) indicates how high the protection is against UVA rays. Mineral sunscreens are naturally broad spectrum (UVA & UVB but no ss will ever block all uv rays) therefore often preferred for those who need the 'safest' broadest coverage possible when PPD info is not readily available on all ss products.

Chemical sunscreens are also more likely to cause irritation and considering the reasons for treatment as mentioned in OP I assume that's why the therapist recommended a mineral based sunscreen.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sun 23-Oct-16 15:14:05

Thanks botemp, will take a look at some of the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now