Talk

Advanced search

Short. Fat. Grumpy.

(9 Posts)
yesterdaysunshine Fri 21-Oct-16 20:08:07

Autocorrect changed frumpy to grumpy and I'm keeping it cause I am!

- I am short and also I have a long torso compared to short sturdy fat legs with very little shape to them.

- massive belly

- fat but still shapely arse. Balloon like hips.

Arms aren't too bad. Face is ok but also fat.

So - I need to look after myself more. Dresses suit me more than trousers but I feel silly in them! Also should I go to plus size shops? Am 5'3 and 14 stone (I know, I know!)

Pisssssedofff Fri 21-Oct-16 20:29:45

Ok, water.
3 litres a day no matter what else you eat or drink, you must have that water. Believe me after a week you won't want to eat crap.

yesterdaysunshine Fri 21-Oct-16 20:31:05

Believe me I will! But it was clothes advice I need rather than anti-fat bastard advice wink

imbloodygreatme Fri 21-Oct-16 20:44:39

PMSL @ "anti fat bastard advice"

think i pee'd my big pants a little!

i am 5'6" and 15 stone 4 pounds. yes I too am a fat bastard. I started wearing tunic dresses and think tights with Ankle boots and feel slightly less frumpy. My legs resemble redwood tree trunks and the tights and boots sort of work for me.

I think more people are wearing dresses and tights now its winter so just go for it. I got two swing dresses in Sainsbury too they are ok with long cards.
hope that helps

yesterdaysunshine Fri 21-Oct-16 20:45:49

Ooh sainsburys do lovely clothes!

Do you find tight fall down and kind of gather under your belly? Like a kangaroo pouch grin

imbloodygreatme Fri 21-Oct-16 21:04:39

I do but now I wear granny knickers over the tights too and they don't fall down and I buy the largest ones I can find so I can pull them up to meet my bra. I'm dead sexy me!

travailtotravel Fri 21-Oct-16 23:22:51

Tights from Evans are pretty handy for those of us with pouches.

NeonPinkNails Sat 22-Oct-16 08:38:39

Watching with interest as I'm literally the same - height, weight, body shape - spooky!

Definitely no need to go to plus size shops imo, most of the high st and online covers up to at least size 18 - I'm a 12 or 14 in most places for tops and a 16 for trousers. Are you about the same?

There's no denying that better quality stuff is often more flattering - better cut, nicer fabrics etc. I find having a few decent items in your wardrobe (including non-figure related stuff like bags, shoes, jewellery, scarves) really helps, then you can get away with mixing in cheaper stuff. I don't spend a fortune but rarely buy from higher end places without a discount code or I wait for the sale.

Off the top of my head I like:
(Pricier end) Hush, Mint Velvet, some of the John Lewis own brands like Kin and Weekend, plainer stuff from Joules/White Stuff/Boden, The White Company, Gap although it's not as good as it used to be

(Cheaper end) Primark (choosing carefully - I've had stuff that's lasted 1 wear and things that are still going years later), H&M, New Look, Sainsbury's, Next Clearance section especially for Petite jeans (I like the Lift Slim and Shape ones which you can get for around £20), TK Maxx

I find dressing in Autumn/Winter a million times easier - not only because you're more covered up but because I find the styles, fabrics, colours etc more flattering.

SaoirseLikeInertia Sat 22-Oct-16 08:49:19

I'm an 18/20. Carry most of it on my stomach - I wouldn't mind being this big as much if I was more in proportion wink

Anyway, I was on the hunt for naice jeans for going out. Size 18 in regular stores cut me in half straight across the fattest bit of my stomach. The result is like a tube of toothpaste squished in the middle. It is not that they are too tight/small on, they just aren't cut for my shape. Last week I tried some on in Evans and they sit much better. Size wise they don't look any different but they seem to consider the proportions differently. Also their stuff starts at a 14, so it's not just huge sizes.

For tops, I like Debenhams (Red Herring in particular ) M&S, Next

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now