I just justified buying something expensive on the grounds of 'price per wear'...

(9 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 19-Oct-16 19:03:23

But what price per wear do you consider to be a great price? Or how many times do you have to wear something to say 'I've got my money's worth'?
I spent £100 on a pair of boots which is more than I'd usually spend. I'm telling myself about price per wear and all that, but how many times do you wear it before saying yep that was good value? 100 times? More? Less? Just thinking about the concept of it. Might help me get through my Kondo-ing if I can think of it in these terms!

ChippyMinton Wed 19-Oct-16 19:06:36

Surely no one actually counts the number if wears grin
For boots I'd say if I wore them once a week, all winter, and they were still good to go for a second season that would be good value.

keeponkeepinon Wed 19-Oct-16 19:11:03

Not at all no! Just thinking out loud!
Also, if I'm looking at a crappy old top and doubting chucking it I can probably think to myself, well this is old and crappy, I must have worn it 100 times, it's time to get rid!

MumboNumber5 Wed 19-Oct-16 19:13:36

I have a le pliage bag that I paid about £70 for and have used every day for work/casual/overnighters. I've taken very little care of it, and piled it high with junk essentials most days. It's 18 months old and as good as new, so must work out as pennies each time. It's much better cpw than the £15 accessorise clutch that I've used once.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 19:16:50

Stop putting yourself through ppt ( post purchase torture) the boots are a sensible, considered buy. You like them, you know you'll wear them, they are a good brand and good quality. Far better to have spent £100 on them than £ 10 on an impulse buy of say a top - because it was a bargain!!

Enjoy your boots!!

OhTheRoses Wed 19-Oct-16 19:20:25

Depends how much pleasure they give you. A £25 pair you wear 80 times but hate is poorer value than the £100 pair you wear 30 times but make you feel like a million dollars.

SilverHawk Wed 19-Oct-16 19:20:47

This is an example of the 'It's expensive being poor'. The initial outlay may be large but cost per wear is a lot smaller than clothes/boots that last months(?). Unless planet fashion is involved!

ImprovingMyMH Wed 19-Oct-16 19:22:43

I know what you mean OP - I've seen price / wear suggested as a useful concept previously.

My boots cost £100 too, and I know they'll last for years (my last identical pair did).

I've seen £0.50/wear suggested, but I think £1/wear might be more reasonable. It's useful if you're shopping because you can ask yourself if you're likely to wear a £20 top 20x.

chanie44 Wed 19-Oct-16 20:54:28

I don't do cost per wear.

I focus on buying items I enjoy as that way I will use the items more regularly. It doesn't matter if the boots cost. £20 or £200,000,000,000.

I don't actually have that much money, but you know what I mean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now