Talk

Advanced search

Stop me looking rough please

(42 Posts)
HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 17:37:00

Feeling properly fed up. My boss asked me today if I was OK because I look (and I can't remember the exact word but) rough / scruffy.

I admit that I can dress like a student at times but the last few days I've been trying to make the effort. Today i dried my hair, wore a white shirt, dark skinny jeans and knee high boots. Work as a lecturer so smart casual rather than business wear.

How can I look smart and professional without looking / feeling like my mum?

I wonder if part of the problem is that I look well through the summer as I catch the sun easily and for the winter my colour goes and I can never get makeup to stay on all day.

Help!

Maudlinmaud Wed 19-Oct-16 17:39:52

Perhaps try a facial tanner. I use James Read myself and it perks my skin up a bit.
What makeup are you using?

prettywhiteguitar Wed 19-Oct-16 18:09:07

No to fake tan it's too hard to keep up ! Embrace the pale just put some decent blusher on, Laura mercier stays on all day for me, and a decent powder. Regular haircuts help, your outfit sounds lovely so can't be that !

Or tell your boss to fottfsof grin

EssentialHummus Wed 19-Oct-16 18:10:54

I second a gentle tanning moisturiser- i rate dove summer revived.

oldlaundbooth Wed 19-Oct-16 18:11:07

There was a great thread on here recently, how to look posh or something. There was some great advice, I'll try and find it, it's not just about looking posh per se, but looking put together as it were.

oldlaundbooth Wed 19-Oct-16 18:13:03

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2369639-How-to-achieve-the-middle-class-posh-girl-look-and-lifestyle

It's long but there are some great bits of advice.

burnishedsilver Wed 19-Oct-16 18:16:56

Do you iron your clothes and do your clothes fit you properly?

missyB1 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:20:40

I look washed out in the winter so I use a BB cream (Garnier). That with good quality make up should help. Also try adding nice scarves to your outfits, I have a selection in different colours, they can really add a bit of class.

HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 18:23:09

Pretty - I like your suggestion!

I'm a bit scared of facial tanner but I could try the tanning moisturiser - I use the body stuff (didn't know that they did it for your face).

I use chubby stick blusher (clinique <-- birthday present) but it doesn't seem to stay, I think maybe I do need powder. The problem with embracing the pale is that i have really dark circles under my eyes, which tend to disappear in the summer.

Will have a look at the other thread, thank you

HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:19

Burnished - I do iron, not sure if they fit properly. I have a strange sense of body awareness and often feel fat but other people tell me I'm not so I couldn't really say in all honesty if they do (if that makes sense?)

I do have lots of scarves, maybe it's time to get them out!

Thirtyrock39 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:34

This is very 1980s but see if you can work out your colours:- sounds barmy but I'm an Autumn palette and always get compliments when I'm wearing the right colours for my skin tone, hair etc. ...you could google colour analysis to find what you are...worth a try

phoolani Wed 19-Oct-16 18:35:01

Someone on here recommended the Clarins tanning drops you mix into your moisturiser and I think they're great for just taking the edge off winter paleness. I use a drop every other day.

Itsautumn Wed 19-Oct-16 18:44:45

Olay do a great gradual moisturiser, everyday sunshine. Get the light one and it just adds a bit of life to my pale skin.
I think having a good hair cut and a bit of make up also helps looking pulled together. Streamline your wardrobe and maybe invest in a couple key pieces you can combine with your existing stuff.

Petal02 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:54:24

Another vote for a subtle face tanner. And lip gloss, and a small pair of earrings. And perfume.

RosieLig Wed 19-Oct-16 19:11:52

maybe you don't suit white? I look awful in it! What colour hair/eyes do you have?

HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 19:27:53

Dark hair and blue eyes.

SilverHawk Wed 19-Oct-16 20:05:49

So you can't be freckly type pale if you tan, you are probably quite a sallow complexion?--BTW I don't mean ill, just yellow undertones--

SealSong Wed 19-Oct-16 20:13:59

Maybe you don't look rough; maybe your boss is an arse.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 19-Oct-16 20:27:01

If I don't wear an under eye concealer, I look tired and dreadful, you could try that. Blend it in a triangle shape under your eye and a bit on your eyelids if they tend to look red. Mascara just on top lashes looks better if you're prone to dark circles.

Also some pinkish blusher and a bit of illuminating cream or subtle highlighter on cheekbones and brow bones, plucked eyebrows and lip gloss gives the illusion of a fresh natural face.

I know what you mean, I look much healthier in the summer. A light dusting of matte bronzer across forehead, temples and cheekbones might be easier than attempting face tanner. (This comes from someone who applied a free sachet of the stuff from a magazine and woke up to the horror of a tangerine face grin)

HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 21:09:45

Yes to sallow skin.

Boss is a twinset and pearls type, quite uptight, I think I confuse her!

I have concealer and illuminating cream in the back of a drawer somewhere and some bronzer stuff.

Will try it tomorrow and report back!

Believeitornot Wed 19-Oct-16 21:13:46

If your makeup doesn't stick then try a primer underneath? My make up slides off without (I've got greasy skin)

SilverHawk Wed 19-Oct-16 21:16:57

I'm sorry to be no help whatsoever. I'm freckle type but I seem to remember that if you're pink you need more yellow so it must be visa versa?

HmmmmBop Wed 19-Oct-16 21:20:07

Daft question - whats a primer? I only wear mascara and a bit of blusher, will primer work?

Believeitornot Wed 19-Oct-16 21:35:30

It is a "base" which provides a smooth surface for the makeup to stick too

I use it under blusher - lasts all day whereas before it would be gone by 11am!

I use primer from the body shop - it's clear so I don't bother with foundation just blusher.

Mel0Drama Wed 19-Oct-16 21:38:22

Is he model status? If not, tell him to fro. Even if he is tell him the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now