Talk

Advanced search

If you are a "professional"

(31 Posts)
ButterBeanSoup Wed 19-Oct-16 16:28:51

What kind of handbag do you use for work? I have to often carry A4 files, laptop etc so it needs to be roomy and stylish.

Any ideas?!

carrie74 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:33:47

I don't wear business dress anymore, but I wouldn't be buying a bag that fit files, laptop and my normal detritus. I'd have a normal bag (at a push one that would also have a laptop sleeve), and a separate tote for files. You'd ruin the bag otherwise, and it would be too heavy for your shoulder.

I don't usually have to carry files, but I do have to take papers and books, so I've got a padded laptop bag (grab handles) that fits all that, then have my normal shoulder bag (I rotate a few).

rightknockered Wed 19-Oct-16 16:40:54

I usually carry two bags and leave a lot of stuff in the car

Ausernotanumber Wed 19-Oct-16 16:44:26

I have a leather bag that came from veenu.co.uk/about_us.htm but their page seems to be playing up mine is about 6 years old.

atticusclaw2 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:46:16

Another with two bags. One is my handbag and the other has laptop, counsel's notepad, chargers etc.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 16:46:51

I have a lovely big black leather osprey tote type of bag, ideal for fitting patient files etc in but I don't carry a laptop.

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Oct-16 16:47:45

I have a handbag and a laptop bag. If I had files, I'd have a pull along bag, but they annoy me so I have a rucksac.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 16:48:49

Not this one but very similar! Mine is 2 years old and still looks like new despite using it 5 days a week.

www.ospreylondon.com/products/the-avery-leather-shoulder-tote

ChickyDuck Wed 19-Oct-16 16:52:01

I walk to work do I have a big brown leather messenger bag that I can wear across my body for the walk. It isn't super stylish but it's smart and it is good to be able to fit everything i need in one bag.

RaisingSteam Wed 19-Oct-16 16:59:32

Those of you who have one big tote bag, does it not end up stretched and battered from the weight of laptops and paperwork? Or a big mess with hairbrush, purse etc rolling around with your work stuff?

RaisingSteam Wed 19-Oct-16 17:01:48

I am a handbag plus computer bag user but my Case Logic nylon backpack has zero style, it was just the smallest I could find.

soundsystem Wed 19-Oct-16 17:08:07

I have this from Skagen. Fits my laptop and chafer, note book, various bits of paperwork and personal stuff.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 17:09:07

Mine hasn't got stretched or battered at all and it's normally pretty full.

minipie Wed 19-Oct-16 17:12:14

The A4 files and laptop - do you have to take them to meetings, or just to and from home?

If the latter then suggest my solution which is a normal handbag and a strong fold up nylon holdall (the ones that fold up tiny) for carrying the files and laptop (in protective case). Reisenthel are good. When it starts to get a bit tatty I get a new one.

If I have to carry files to a meeting I tend to just carry them, no bag (but then I always take taxis to meetings...)

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Wed 19-Oct-16 17:14:20

I have a le pliage
i need something I can carry on my shoulder. Also must zip all around and be waterproof, as I can be required to spend time outside.

There are no inside pockets though, so I got a handbag organiser from eBay to stop it becoming the Big Bag of Random Shite.

Nyancat Wed 19-Oct-16 17:16:47

I've just got hacked off with heavy bags, I now have a v minimalist black leather backpack instead of a handbag and a waxed canvas tote for files, I can have lots of papers for work and this is lightweight and holds loads, I got it from etsy and it's fab

ButterBeanSoup Wed 19-Oct-16 17:53:28

So I work across three different sites, and need to take a notebook laptop, papers an actual note book, and my usual purse/crap

idontlikealdi Wed 19-Oct-16 18:03:23

I have a leather satchel and I adore it. I also have a large leather bag by joules that takes everything I have to lug around, I don't like it but it was the best I could find that was the right size.

DonkeyOaty Wed 19-Oct-16 18:07:08

Nyan could you link to said plain backpack please

I've wrecked my Radley #firstworldprobs

Nyancat Wed 19-Oct-16 18:33:12

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/460471410/black-leather-backpack-hand-made

Gullane Wed 19-Oct-16 19:08:51

I have a slightly battered oak Bayswater. Fits half the kitchen sink in and looks reasonably smart. I had a large yellow leather tote previously with inner zippy pockets which helped prevent phone/ purse/ keys escaping.

dirtyprettything Wed 19-Oct-16 22:38:51

V practical nylon laptop bag from Amazon + mulberry shoulder bag

AmberNectarine Wed 19-Oct-16 22:51:32

Another double bagger.

Usually a tote (MK, Coach, Phillip Lim) or laptop bag (Knomo) for work stuff.

Then a smaller, nicer bag (today it was Stella McCartney) for my essentials.

JaceLancs Wed 19-Oct-16 23:21:50

I have a tan jaeger leather tote which fits in laptop and a4 files, and an antler black leather shopper both have 2 compartments so I can keep my purse, comb, keys etc in other side
They also have zipped pocket for small bits and 2 slip pockets which fit in my 2 mobiles (work and own)

AgathaMystery Wed 19-Oct-16 23:29:22

Oak Bayswater - 6 YO now & starting to looks quite battered but that's okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now