Talk

Advanced search

Smart but casual.. work related. Please help

(7 Posts)
ChesterFuckingDraws Tue 18-Oct-16 22:11:33

I wear a uniform to work all the time (for last 13 years) so I'm a bit out the loop with what's ok and what's not!
Next week I'm doing something different and have been told it's "non uniform, smart but casual, not business suits but no scruffy jeans and trainers"
What on earth should I wear?
Could I get away with black skinny jeans (new, so they're not faded!), loafer type shoes and a smartish light weight jumper?

Happy50 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:19:13

In some places smart casual doesn't include jeans.
First day, I would wear your outfit but with slightly smarter trousers and see how the land lies

usernumber007 Wed 19-Oct-16 07:03:52

Well they've only suggest no scruffy jeans so I think smart black skinny jeans will be fine

Floisme Wed 19-Oct-16 07:17:58

My workplace is normally very casual but occasionally, and with no prior notice, I have to go out and look smartish but definitely not corporate.

For example, today I'm wearing a Baukjen ruched tube skirt with a Whistles V neck top, opaques and flat ankle boots. I find tube skirts are great for smart/casual. My other default outfits are either 3/4 trousers with brogues and jumper, or smart jeans with a jacket.

Black jeans would be absolutely fine in my job but workplace dress codes can be very hard to decipher so I agree with Happy about going cautiously for the first day.

burnishedsilver Wed 19-Oct-16 07:27:39

I think what you planned sounds perfect.

They've said no 'scruffy' jeans, so neat jeans are presumably fine. If it was no jeans they'd have said no jeans. Black rather than blue will play it safe for the first day.

Shesgotelectricboobs Wed 19-Oct-16 07:29:50

I'm dress down/smart casual every Friday. We are not allowed the following: shorts, bare midriffs, beachwear, scruffy ripped jeans, offensive tshirts etc.

Skinnies are fine.

ChesterFuckingDraws Wed 19-Oct-16 20:46:59

Thank you for the replies. I work in a police station so I'm assuming they don't want us confused with "customers" but hopefully skinnier will be ok and unless someone feels my leg I'll get away with it!
I'm loath to buy actual smart trousers as I'd never wear them again and I'm tight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now