Work bags - how heavy is too heavy

(10 Posts)
Dulcimena Tue 18-Oct-16 17:29:40

So I've found a work bag that I like. It's khaki leather, fits everything in, sits nicely on shoulder/arm/in hand, has three distinct sections, but it's quite heavy. This one. Admittedly I carry loads around because I travel a lot for meetings, but I've just weighed it with what I'd normally have with me and it's 8lbs. 2.5 lbs empty. I'm worried that I just won't use it if it's too heavy and it'll be a pointless purchase. Can't decide whether to keep or return.

So, help me decide...how heavy is your work bag? Any tips for lightening the load?

Artandco Tue 18-Oct-16 17:33:53

I wouldn't carry a heavy bag on just a shoulder as it will damage your back over time

Can you get a nice rucksack? You can get smart looking leather ones

Dulcimena Tue 18-Oct-16 17:37:48

I've actually been using a rucksack, lovely and light, but I'm not sure that it's truly smart enough. I need to carry A4 paperwork around and I've not seen any leather ones that'd be big enough really.

nonameavaliable Tue 18-Oct-16 17:49:36

I carry a stupid amount of stuff about with me if i have department meetings. Have you considered a pull along bag?

The other thing is I would get seriously look at what you carry. And reduce it at all possible.

I've reduced my total handbag weight by a 3rd by really thinking about things and finding better homes for them e.g. my office, miniture versions e.g. my make up, super light versions e.g. my umbrella and flats, collapsible water bottle,

Paperwork is heavy there is no exscaping that unfortunately!

Dulcimena Tue 18-Oct-16 18:09:58

I haven't considered a pull-along, honestly I don't feel quite ready for that yet...! That's a really good tip about reducing what actually gets carried about though. Thinking about it, I reckon there is definitely stuff that doesn't actually need to be in the bag.

nonameavaliable Tue 18-Oct-16 18:26:19

Oh I love mine. They are not cheap, real leathed and very stylish ones and tbh you'd never know they have the ability to be pulled. They are not like they used to be. Don't just write them off (i did just the same untill I asked a collegue where her handbag was from and got a very big shock!)

SesameSparkle Tue 18-Oct-16 18:33:17

If you're still up for a rucksack, I quite like this one from John Lewis as it's relatively smart and on the lighter side (for leather anyway), and is a relatively large capacity. It comes in black too. I've seen it in real life and think it would fit smallish or squishy A4 folders rather than big binders full. If you're clever and plan carefully, you can also reduce the amount of paper work you carry - even things like using a smaller/thinner notebook can help.

Dulcimena Tue 18-Oct-16 22:21:22

I'm intrigued no name. Can you link to the sort of thing you mean? I can't picture it at all.

That is a lovely rucksack, but the straps look like they'd cut in if it had anything weighty in it? Looks great though, love the colour.

ChishandFips33 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:15:31

I'm with you! Switched to a leather laptop bag for improved smartness but the weight is just not helping

I'd like to see the pull along too please

andadietcoke Tue 18-Oct-16 23:18:36

I have a Bayswater double zip and was worried about its empty weight but it's been fine. Have a Longchamp Le Pliage with long handles as a 'chuck around' throw everything in work bag which is good as it has no weight at all really. The lack of compartments irritates me though and I'm about to get a Knomo Curzon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now