Talk

Advanced search

What the hell do I wear to the races?!

(11 Posts)
hannahpan Tue 18-Oct-16 13:38:48

A week on Saturday a big group of us are going to the races. Everyone has said that they're going to dress up because it's for two birthdays and I'm really stuck on what to wear.

I'm 5"3, a size 10/12 and haven't quite lost my mum tum completely..

HELP?!

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 18-Oct-16 13:44:52

Something warm and waterproof if there is nowhere inside to go! I only know Newmarket, and depending on which stand you are in, you will have less shelter than others. Don't wear spiky heels in case you sink.

MrsT2007 Tue 18-Oct-16 14:44:12

Stylish but practical. Current block heel trend is perfect for races, you won't get sore feet from being on them all day.

Depending on which enclosure and meet you are at, anything from jeans to full ascot is suitable.

A nice jersey type dress or smart trousers, top and jacket would be a good place to start for members enclosure.

Corialanusburt Tue 18-Oct-16 14:49:10

I've seen some atrocious looks going into Chester Races. I'd say the look was garish wedding.
If it was me and money was no object, a dress and jacket from somewhere like Reiss and heels that you can stand about in, as people don't seem to be sitting down much.

Corialanusburt Tue 18-Oct-16 14:50:26

Google a pic of the particular races you're going to and see what they tend to wear there.

hannahpan Tue 18-Oct-16 15:34:06

Apparently there isn't a dress code other than smart casual for the actual races but there are twenty ish of us going and by the sounds of it everyone is going all out confused

A block heel sounds good. Now I just need to find a dress sad

AgathaMystery Tue 18-Oct-16 17:32:56

What course are you going to? Is it flat or national hunt? Only asking as the dress code is so different for both.

This time of year everyone is wearing long wool coats, jersey dresses and lovely scarf. A block heel ankle boot is fine. It's the end of the flat season at most courses so no one is really dressing up up. If that makes sense?

If you are going in owners/trainers or hospitality or premier you will be well sheltered even in the head-on stand. If you are in the grandstand or family enclosures you will be in the mud a fair bit!

I love racing. It is my huge guilty pleasure blush

hannahpan Tue 18-Oct-16 17:39:29

Not got a clue where we're going but spoken to her today and we're premier so that's taken a bit of a weight off.

I've found a lovely will coat (and I need a new coat anyway) which I think should go quite well with some burgundy heeled boots I've got. A simple black shift dress should do it right?

MrsT2007 Tue 18-Oct-16 17:47:44

Sounds ideal.
When I worked in racing it starts to become obvious who the 'day out' crowd are and the serious racing crowd. Good to hit a sensible middle ground!

hannahpan Tue 18-Oct-16 18:06:48

Not got a clue where we're going but spoken to her today and we're premier so that's taken a bit of a weight off.

I've found a lovely will coat (and I need a new coat anyway) which I think should go quite well with some burgundy heeled boots I've got. A simple black shift dress should do it right?

AgathaMystery Tue 18-Oct-16 18:14:46

Okay so for premier don't get mega mega dolled up. Seriously. A black shift with a fab brooch or nice scarf will be lovely. Your boots sound ace. Like PP said it will be obvious who is on a big day out & who is there for the real fun.

If you are going to Newmarket Jan will be there with her cheap as chips cashmere stall and you will leave with a lovely poncho too! grin it's mandatory!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now