Talk

Advanced search

Shoe/Ankle boots for 'sturdy' legs (want to wear the opaque tights and skirt look)!

(24 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 07:59:17

I'd love to be able to wear jumper dresses and skirts with black tights and ankle boots. It's a look I've not embraced because I'm not sure what style of ankle or shoe boot would flatter my legs. They're not really fat, but by not being very tall I'd describe them as sturdy grin

Have you any recommendations for boots (that aren't skyscraper height) which flatter legs (don't chop at the ankle)? I'd love black suede if possible.

Thank you.

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Tue 18-Oct-16 08:14:56

I am short with sturdy legs, and wear these Tess boots with opaques and dresses. They are very comfortable.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 08:20:24

Thank you Viking but I am really looking for ankle or shoe boots.

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Tue 18-Oct-16 08:46:58

Okay, good luck!

idontlikealdi Tue 18-Oct-16 09:01:14

I wear flat Chelsea boots which somehow work on my shall we say athletic (chunky!) calves, as long as the top of the boot doesn't come too high or too low I think it's OK. That doesn't make much sense but good luck!

PinkSquash Tue 18-Oct-16 09:02:50

I have Chelsea boots that do the trick, I got a pair from Evans of all places, that are quite flattering on my legs and look good with tights as well as jeans/trousers

museumum Tue 18-Oct-16 09:03:28

Match the boot to the opaques and they won't cut you off at the ankle

herecomesthsun Tue 18-Oct-16 10:05:30

previous threads have suggested a v shape helps at the front of the boot. I think a bit of a heel is also a help, and a chunky style heel is more comfortable.e.g. Ash Hurricane or Jalouse or Gabor Enfield

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 12:08:44

Thanks very much for the replies. I had Ash boots in mind but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment. Found these whilst trawling t'Internet. They're £99 as opposed to £159 (Ash). Do you reckon they're a decent substitute (they go in a 'V' at the front)?

herecomesthsun Tue 18-Oct-16 12:34:01

yes smile

botemp Tue 18-Oct-16 12:42:38

Was just browsing through &Other Stories' final sale, and these are similar in style OP in black suede for £48 if it happens to be your size. There's a few other pairs too in black suede, just different styles.

margaritasbythesea Tue 18-Oct-16 13:02:02

Where are they from op?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 15:35:52

margaritasbythesea they're from MissKG (Kurt Geiger).

margaritasbythesea Tue 18-Oct-16 16:29:19

Thankyou

TheCatsBiscuits Tue 18-Oct-16 16:37:52

For me, with chunky calves, having a bit of interest/width at the ankle seems to help - it breaks up the dramatic widening of the leg from foot to my chubby knee. I like ankle boots with buckles or some fringing, and that 'sloping inward' cowboy heel?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 17:56:32

Thank you TheCatsBiscuits, would you be able to share any examples please? I am imagining something like fringing maybe?

TheCatsBiscuits Tue 18-Oct-16 18:22:36

Oh God, I'm always loathe to post any boots on S&B in case it turns out they're actually Mum Boots, but [deep breath]

something like this from Mint Velvet?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Tue 18-Oct-16 19:19:52

I can't launch the link TheCatsBiscuits but I am guessing you mean these beauties? They're also a tad expensive for me at the mo but they have that 'v' shape at the front, definitely not mum boots grin

TheCatsBiscuits Wed 19-Oct-16 08:28:36

Hmm. That's weird. I just tried again, but it wouldn't work. I actually meant the Simone boot - a bit expensive, but Mint Velvet's usually in the John Lewis sale at some point.

Or this type of cowboy boot? I like the slightly battered look fading rock chick.

whiteonesugar Wed 19-Oct-16 09:41:10

I have fairly robust legs too and I love my heeled Chelsea boots from new look! cheap and cheerful and go with everything.

wheatchief Wed 19-Oct-16 09:50:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bullshift Wed 19-Oct-16 10:24:10

Loving those boots, OP!

I have some black suedey Chelsea boots from Next which are perfect. I wear them with my Hush ruched skirt. They come in wide fit which is perfect for my fat feet. I have sturdy legs too and they are very flattering.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 27-Oct-16 08:28:56

OP here, in case anyone is interested Ash Hurrican are on sale in the House of Fraser reduced to £82.50. Ordered myself a pair last night! Cheaper than all the other we discussed above!

Looking forward to wearing them with the Boden ruched skirt and Hush Tara dress (unless my sturdy legs let me down thlgrin!)

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 27-Oct-16 08:49:13

Sorry botemp, cheaper than nearly all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now