Help, I need "party wear" (non girly, non christmassy)

(13 Posts)
AgeingArtemis Mon 17-Oct-16 20:07:14

Invited to a VERY extravagant fancy 21st birthday party (I am early twenties as well), but I have literally nothing to wear. The dress code is "smart casual" but it's an evening event and I assume this means more than the standard "no rips, no trainers" way I usually interpret it grin

I never wear dresses or skirts, and I have a very very small wardrobe. In terms of smart stuff I have one "black tie" outfit which is a black tuxedo with a black silk shirt (a la emma watson) but I think this is too "black" for a colourful birthday party, and probably too formal as well. I also have a suit I wear for interviews and the like (obviously not appropriate here) and...that's it. The rest of my clothes is jeans and t-shirts for casual, and shirts and chinos for work (pretty casual workplace)

I need one "party" outfit that I can wear to this event and events of a similar type. (I embrace the minimalist wardrobe and the idea of "one" winter coat, "one" party outfit, "one" swimsuit etc). I currently own a very lovely pair of navy suede flat shoes/booties that I currently wear only about once a year because they don't go with anything else, so if you could suggest an outfit that would go with those shoes (so I don't have to buy yet another pair- excessive shoes are my minimalist undoing!) that would be a bonus!

I want to look good, but I also want to look like myself, which is quite a "tomboyish" style to be honest, I've never worn heels in my entire life. I would consider a dress, if it was the "right" type (but I can't describe what that type would be, apart from not body clinging!) or a trousers outfit. If all else fails, I will wear my navy shoes with my navy chinos and a crisp white fitted shirt, and buy some jewelry to accessorize (I own a chunky silver bracelet someone gave me for my 18th, but that's it)

Thank you mumsnet fairies!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 17-Oct-16 21:36:31

I have just posted something similar!

Which means I can't help lol, but will keep an eye out grin. For you maybe a sparkly backless top with nice jeans and sparkly flats? I'd wear that if I was slimmer, smaller boobed and not 34. No scrap that, it's just the boob thing that stops me!

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 21:37:49

why are you delivebrately limiting yourself
DOnt weat navy chinos ffs

anotherguiltymum Mon 17-Oct-16 22:00:05

What about a midnight velvet jacket ( Boden has one and topshop too I think) and some waxed jeans or leather leggings depending on budget?

Pantsalive Tue 18-Oct-16 13:45:15

Would you consider a jumpsuit? You could get a navy one to go with your shoes. There are quite a few on ASOS

whensitmyturn Tue 18-Oct-16 14:01:18

Honestly Id steer away from wearing a white shirt especially with dark trousers as you run the risk of looking like a waitress on the night.

Have been doing some searching for you, found some super skinny navy trousers at river island, with a cream and gold embellished Cami?

Cream and gold will go with anything so will be good for your minimalism in future and your navy shoes should tie in well too?

Will try and post pics...

ItGoesWithoutSaying Tue 18-Oct-16 14:17:38

Was also going to suggest a jumpsuit if you want a non-girly but party look. You don't your height, size, likes or dislikes in term of your body. as you're 21 you probably have nothing to worry about.

Another thread here suggests a playsuit but that might be too girly for you.

AgeingArtemis Tue 18-Oct-16 14:24:12

Superskinny trousers are unlikely to fit me properly- I have relatively chunky thighs and bum, but a small waist so I usually can't get the right size past my knees!

I like the idea of the cami or a backless top (I have small boobs)

Jumpsuit potentially, not sure I like that particular one though. What do you think of this one? www.asos.com/asos/asos-premium-jumpsuit-with-embroidered-panels/prd/6987188?iid=6987188&clr=Aubergine&SearchQuery=&cid=7618&pgesize=58&pge=0&totalstyles=58&gridsize=3&gridrow=1&gridcolumn=2

I would wear a dress if it was the right one. Must be able to pull it off without heels (I have had terrible bunions from childhood so even flats are painful by the end of the night, no way am I putting myself through the torture of heels)

PeachMelba78 Tue 18-Oct-16 14:46:04

How about a navy jumpsuit? This one is really nice -
www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/maho-jumpsuit-by-motel-5357329?geoip=noredirect&cmpid=ppc_pla_UK_ip&utm_medium=cpc&tsrc=vdna&istCompanyId=38aa0d7f-6514-4cb3-bbdc-df0d32d48b7f&istItemId=atarqrmww&istBid=tztx&gclid=CJn-x6u-5M8CFWQq0wodpbMNdQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
and your silver jewellery would look great!

whensitmyturn Wed 19-Oct-16 13:31:22

Love that jumpsuit OP go for it!

AmberNectarine Wed 19-Oct-16 23:33:40

Your Silk shirt
Slim fit trousers/leather leggings
Really cool trainers (I have a gold pair)

No need to compromise your personal style - people ALWAYS look better when they're comfortable.

Pantsalive Thu 20-Oct-16 10:53:55

I think that jumpsuit is great. Just the right level between dressed up and not looking as if you've gone over the top.

You sound is as if you might actually like to wear a dress. Have a look at Finery. I'm not sure if any would be to your taste but they are very ungirly dresses. (Ignore that fact that all the models look miserable!)

FauxFox Thu 20-Oct-16 11:38:55

I would go for some 'party' trousers + T or shirt - a combo you are comfy with but also dressy enough for occasion wear. I like these:
jacquard trousers
panther print
navy sequin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now