We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going to the USA. What shall I buy??

(14 Posts)
Pighorse Mon 17-Oct-16 12:13:17

Beauty stuff, clothes, shoes...what's good over there? smile

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 12:13:54

thousands of threads on this in the archives

JackandDiane Mon 17-Oct-16 12:14:37

www.mumsnet.com/SearchArch?mustmatch=what+to+buy+in+USA&dontmatch=&nickname=&src_displ_option=s_t_d_t&fromDate=&toDate=&topicmode=All&availtops=-1

carrie74 Mon 17-Oct-16 14:05:17

I think with the tanked ER, it could be difficult to find as many bargains.

But sales are often excellent, US brands usually the same in $ as £. I usually buy jeans, trainers, Abercrombie stuff, Old Navy stuff for kids, J Crew, luggage. And ALWAYS M&Ms!!!

SuperFlyHigh Mon 17-Oct-16 14:11:21

I always like Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Bath and Bodyworks and Gap etc..

but exchange rate I think is down on what it was so bargains aren't what they were.

Pighorse Mon 17-Oct-16 18:11:43

Thanks!
I'll also check out the archives smile
We have euros so a little better in the exchange rate (but not much).

chipsandpeas Mon 17-Oct-16 18:27:29

bear in mind sales tax isnt ususally advertised so can be between 4-8% on top of ticket price depending on what state you are in

id recommend sephora own range make up as its good, pretty reasonable prices and you cant get it in the uk

cheapskatemum Mon 17-Oct-16 20:05:02

Most outlet malls have voucher books, go to the customer service kiosk or office & ask. The vouchers usually give you at least another 10% off, but sometimes have a minimum spend entitlement.

Shadowridge Mon 17-Oct-16 20:08:48

Given the exchange rates i would focus on outlet shopping only. I was there in the summer post brexit- bargains at North face outlet and Old Navy sale rail but balanced out by groceries being more expensive than home. Go and enjoy it but do not expect it to be cheap.

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 17-Oct-16 20:13:18

US brands, especially in outlets, are still a lot cheaper than the UK even with the weaker pound.

If you like Kate Spade, it is MUCH cheaper in the Us. I bought a wallet in one of their outlet stores - it was $43, whereas a similar wallet in the Bicester Village shop was £98.

TSSDNCOP Mon 17-Oct-16 20:15:48

I'm going next week but the rate sucks!

Abercrombie/Hollister and Uggs good value. I got a lovely LOngchamps handbag last time and am going back for the black version.

If you visit the Management suite in Bloomingdales they give you a fist full of vouchers.

Tell your bank you're going so they don't ding your card!!

Shopping in the village is better than Midtown as it's easier on your feet with stores being closer together.

However many times anyone tells you to go to Century 21 ignore them unless you particularly like soulless jumble sales.

allfurcoatnoknickers Mon 17-Oct-16 21:10:31

Where are you going? Try and find a Nordstrom Rack. They have great deals on designer clothes - much cheaper than in the UK and also it's not nearly as stressful as Century 21.

Pighorse Mon 17-Oct-16 21:15:24

Great tips, thank you - we are going to California smile and we are concentrating on the outlets. I really want clothes for the DCs, too, and shoes...

Shadowridge Tue 18-Oct-16 06:58:02

If CA, definately hunt out one of the North Face outlets, many bargains to be had. Have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now