Talk

Advanced search

Do I really need a shampoo specifically for coloured hair?

(8 Posts)
HeyMacWey Sat 15-Oct-16 15:26:08

And if so, any recommendations?

I've been using aussie Mega but wondered if this might be stripping some of the colour out?

HeyMacWey Sat 15-Oct-16 15:39:34

Forgot to add that I've got dark brown hair.

Sancia Sat 15-Oct-16 18:12:02

I think the answer is yes, because other shampoos can strip out the colour with the clarifying ingredients. Colour-friendly shampoos lack them or replace them with something that isn't as astringent.

Kennington Sat 15-Oct-16 20:47:58

I have dyed mid brown hair and I find the roots stay darker longer when I don't use a sodium laureath sulphate based shampoo.
I think SLS is quite harsh and may strip some of the colour but I could be wrong.
I use a botanics no sulphate shampoo and a really rich conditioner and this does seem to preserve the colour well.

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:50:19

If you don't want to bother with shampoo for coloured/dyed hair, look at Boudica shampoos and conditioners on Amazon. They're SLS free and my colour's much brighter using them.

HeyMacWey Sun 16-Oct-16 18:57:47

Thanks - I haven't got on with sls free stuff before but might have a look back into them.

mumsnit Sun 16-Oct-16 19:16:28

Korres shampoo for coloured hair is really good - sls free.

I alternate between that and Lidl own shampoo for coloured hair (cheap and very similar to the Elvive one!) and this routine seems to preserve my highlights!

Why not change to the Aussie Colour Mate? It's the best shampoo and conditioner I've found for dyed hair, when I was going intense copper red the lack of fading was awesome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now