We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

warm clothes on a budget!

(11 Posts)
Toffeelatteplease Fri 14-Oct-16 19:48:00

Since losing weight I have been cold. Permanently. I need inspiration on how you stay warm and look good on a budget!

I have a lovely cashmere sweater from eBay but am semi terrified of wearing it in case I need to wash it confused. I'd love some kind of chunky cardigan maybe I can layer over lighter weight cardigans and jumpers, some nice interesting jumpers generally. Everything I have is either too big or doesn't feel warm anymore (probably to do with being too big). I need long out jumpers and staying in Jumpers. I think I need new slippers too. I actually to yurn the heating on today whilst I was home during the day, because I was freezing.

But I am on a limited budget so things like woolovers and down aren't any option. I need bargains!

What does everyone else do?

Toffeelatteplease Fri 14-Oct-16 19:49:17

sorry for the typos blush

I need going out jumpers and staying around the house jumpers

Fletcherl Fri 14-Oct-16 19:53:06

Try starting with base layers.
Uniqlo heat tech and Sainsbury's thermals are a great place to start.
You could also raid your scarf store and then the charity shop scarves.
Look at Italian winter fashion base layer, polo neck and a jacket.

Branleuse Fri 14-Oct-16 19:54:15

M&S do fab thermal long sleeve tops that im living in at the moment. Theyre much cheaper on ebay. Layer underneath your jumper.

Get a hat. Youll find youre a lot warmer in a hat.

timeforachangeithink Fri 14-Oct-16 20:03:39

Sainsburys have some great stuff, Primark do good thermals too.

Poocatcherchampion Fri 14-Oct-16 20:06:06

I like a sleeveless jumper / zip up at home. No recommendations tho - I usually get them from charity shop.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 14-Oct-16 20:42:36

ooooooo good thinking people!

I have some decent marks and sparks thermals normally reserved for winter Day trips I shall dig them out.

scarfs get in the way a bit at home. Ofter working on the computer and they annoy me. A snood might be nice though and might dig out a hat. It really is my body and i think my shoulders that gets cold atm though so something nice warm and sleeveless would be rather cool.

Are Sainsburys jumpers warm I might see what they have.

Fairylea Fri 14-Oct-16 20:43:53

Definitely sainsburys. I could have bought about twenty jumpers from there this week and they have long sleeved t shirts for layering for £5. Lovely.

MsUnderstanding Fri 14-Oct-16 20:52:18

Staying around the house jumpers could be bought from a charity shop. Just look for some wool content, also look in the men's section. Alternatively would you consider wearing something made of fleece? I do, totally unstylish but very warm can be washed and dried overnight. Layers and thermals as suggested by PPs and slippers with socks and fingerless gloves or arm warmers like these.

MsUnderstanding Fri 14-Oct-16 20:56:33

Just make sure you woolly clothes contain some wool/animal fibre Acrylic and other synthetic yarns don't keep you warm.

Lorelei76 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:57:42

if you need to save money don't divvy up the going out and staying in ones

uniglo and M&S heat tops are good

then get a stylish wrap, or jumper or cardi to go on top - Zalando and ASOS are okay price wise or ebay. But the layering thing is always a good plan.

I also resort to long socks under my jeans when it gets cold.

Today was surprisingly cold given it's apparently the same temp as yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now