what to wear for graduation - mine

(7 Posts)
thissismyusername Tue 11-Oct-16 21:45:55

My BA graduation is in November, I wear casual for work and I don't have a clue what to wear under the gown, can anyone help?

FriendofBill Tue 11-Oct-16 21:48:07

Congratulations!

Wear simple things that will lay flat and not clash with the gown.

Emphasis on hair / cosmetics if you wear them.

Maverick66 Tue 11-Oct-16 23:25:44

Keep it simple and timeless.
Maybe a shift dress and hair and makeup done.
Graduation photos are for life!

Littleallovertheshop Tue 11-Oct-16 23:41:03

I wore a plain black dress and sewed a button on to hold the hood in place. Plain white shirt and black skirt/trousers also was good. You need something you can either put a safety pin through or has a button.

ScottishProf Wed 12-Oct-16 05:06:10

Your university will have rules: probably, though not necessarily, black and white. As others have said the key thing is that the hood is heavy and needs to be fastened somehow. If you're not careful, hooking it over a shirt button results in the shirt pulling out of your waistband. What I find works best is to wear a solid bra and something I can put a pin through, and safety pin the hood to my bra! #twograduationsayear

dotty2 Wed 12-Oct-16 11:05:39

Maybe not so much an issue in November, but don't underestimate how warm a gown and hood can be. I graduated a couple of years ago in July and absolutely sweltered under many, many yards of black crimpelene. Yuk!

thissismyusername Wed 12-Oct-16 17:25:12

thanks for all the tips, I will go equipped with defensive bra and safety pins. i have lined up a plain black dress, maybe a card and now I need to choose a nice pair of classic courts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now