Talk

Advanced search

Wedding guest - what to wear over this dress?

(12 Posts)
DorothyBastard Tue 11-Oct-16 17:32:25

I'm off to a wedding reception next weekend. I've just bought this dress http://www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight//hattie-dress/203348093 What should I wear over the top? And what shoes?

I'm a size 16, short red hair, HoC Autumn.

Liiinoo Tue 11-Oct-16 19:17:13

The link doesn't work so I googled the dress. I hope you got it for the bargain price online!

The top is quite architectural so you want something quite plain that lets the styling stand out. The website has a matching edge to edge jacket but it might add bulk -as a busty shorty I avoid bulk!

I have a very light weight oatmeal-ish edge to edge floaty long line cardigan with self coloured sequin trim that would be great with it. Sadly I cannot remember where it came from, maybe Primark. I have had it yonks and it is so neutral it works as an upper arm cover up for anything. I think thats what the dress needs. Something very light and neutral that lets the structure of the dress stand out. Nothing drapey or statementy . A cream or camel cashmere cardigan would be great but not shrug length, that would spoil the line. And not a pashmina, that would also take away from the structure of the dress.

Shoes, you could go crazy with high shoe boots or rock a nude /brown/black court. It depends on your personal style. I don't think any sort of sandal would be right - the dress is formal so I think a covered foot and tights would look best at an Autumn wedding.

It is a lovely dress. Let us know what you opt for.

DorothyBastard Tue 11-Oct-16 19:19:06

Thank you for your reply, really helpful.

Trying again with the link www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight//hattie-dress/203348093

Monkeyface26 Tue 11-Oct-16 19:30:21

It's a lovely dress and I agree with pp that you should avoid a shrug/bolero and look for a longline cardigan or perhaps a floaty trench?

I think you should REALLY avoid cream though. The dress already has a cream skirt and there is only one person who should be wearing cream. If you match your cover-up to the top half of the dress, you are safe. If you match it to the skirt, you risk looking inappropriately ivory-clad at someone else's wedding.

Liiinoo Tue 11-Oct-16 19:33:29

Monkeyface makes a very good point. I was so caught up in visualising the dress accessorised I didn't think of that.

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Oct-16 19:34:46

TBH I'd go with the matching jacket, here. Some sort of a wrap with a print would be OK but it'd be a shame to spoil the simplicity of the dress.

Blackcurrantvodka Tue 11-Oct-16 19:52:46

Lovely dress! I'd definitely go for closed toe shoes, something nude and fairly classic (I bet you'd get your wear out of them in the future). To wear over it do you want something to stay on all night (e.g. Shrug or jacket) or something to take off once indoors?

DorothyBastard Tue 11-Oct-16 20:21:43

I was nervous about it being so cream so I spoke to the bride to check she was okay with it - she is (phew), but will deffo steer away from a cream cover up.

Laska5772 Tue 11-Oct-16 20:47:10

I likethat jacket , but If you want a contrast What about something in navy? navy wrap and navy shoes ?

DorothyBastard Tue 11-Oct-16 21:03:31

Navy doesn't really suit me. Teal is a good colour for me, what about that?

LucyLot Tue 11-Oct-16 22:24:28

I like the matching jacket. Other options would be a pashmina or google a long "duster" coat.

LucyLot Tue 11-Oct-16 22:25:19

Id try to stick to coffee tones but teal could work as a contrast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now