Talk

Advanced search

Help! Detangler for curly coloured hair.

(19 Posts)
Fennwalker Tue 11-Oct-16 13:45:19

I currently resemble a matted dog most mornings when my hair is wet, it gets very very knotty in the shower, any recommendations for something that will detangle and defrizz it?

So far I've tried Moroccan Oil, Frizzease and Aussie with limited success.

TIA.

brush through when conditioner is on with a tangle teaser brush?

PotatoBread Tue 11-Oct-16 17:50:33

I tangle tease mine before getting in shower and then comb again when conditioner is in

Sunnydaysrock Tue 11-Oct-16 17:53:49

Mine is curly and coloured. Have recently started using pure coconut oil. Put loads on before bed and wash out in the morning, it has improved the condition of mine alot. I also use it to style after my hair is dry, just using a small amount to define separate curls.

Fennwalker Thu 13-Oct-16 21:29:46

Thank you for the recommendations, had a go at combing with conditioner in but was still very knotty, will give coconut oil and tangle teaser a whirl.

When you leave coconut oil overnight do you put something over the top to stop it getting everywhere? A towel?

Pisssssedofff Thu 13-Oct-16 21:31:26

Sleep in a silk cap, I'll find the link hsng on

Pisssssedofff Thu 13-Oct-16 21:36:55

www.silkelondon.com

grandmainmypocket Thu 13-Oct-16 21:38:31

I would recommend herbal essence conditioner for dry hair or for coloured hair.
The blue one with moroccan oil in or the red/pink one.
Alternatively Redken for dry hair or loreal kerastase depending on your budget.

You don't even need to brush through. Use your fingers and it detangles. Mine is very curly. These definitely work and leave your hair in much better condition afterwards too.

Sunnydaysrock Thu 13-Oct-16 21:44:23

Yes a towel on the pillow or old pillowcase, but to be honest it's not 'wet' oily iyswim, so not messy really.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 13-Oct-16 23:48:35

Mine is curly and very rarely brushed. I haven't washed it for a week because I've got a wound on my head although I normally wash every 3-4 days and soak inbetween days and add more product.

My recommendations would be to STOP using Morrocanoil and Frizzease as they both have silicones in. Then, when your hair is loaded with conditioner in the shower, use a wide toothed comb or brush to get the tangles out. Start gently from the ends and work up to the roots. Comb into your desired parting and rinse, then don't run anything through your hair again.

AncoraAmarena Fri 14-Oct-16 11:01:37

I have very curly hair and use a spray on detangler after I've washed and blotted my hair. I can then brush it through with a wide toothed brush, add some Boots curl cream, scrunch and leave to dry naturally. My hair is ringlets but fine so it might not be as easy if your hair is very thick.

I get best results using products for Afro hair (though mine isn't - good luck!

DerelictMyBalls Fri 14-Oct-16 11:42:24

Do you use shampoo? My hair has been 100 times more manageable since I quit the 'poo.

I use this: www.amazon.com/Coconut-Cowash-Cleansing-Conditioner-Ounce/dp/B00641UCY8

Fennwalker Tue 18-Oct-16 13:29:12

Thanks for all the replies, working through all the suggestions!

grandmainmypocket Tue 18-Oct-16 20:22:00

Let us know how you get on.

Fennwalker Fri 21-Oct-16 20:55:28

Tangle teezer purchased - going well. Better than just finger detangling as hair is very fine and gets actually matted just from washing motion.

Next trying coconut oil and co-wash looks good! Also got some Keracare as that seems to be for more Afro hair (even though mine isn't) so thought might more moisturising as I think the problem comes from dryness.

Thank you all feeling much better about it, was getting me down!

glad its working, keep trying until you find the holy grail of hair routine grin

Fennwalker Thu 27-Oct-16 13:51:31

Think something may be working! Not washing out conditioner too much, then Keracare leave in conditioner, tangle teezer then a bit of hand raking so the curls aren't too separated.

Will see if I can replicate again tomorrow / Sat...

grandmainmypocket Thu 10-Nov-16 01:03:36

Were you able to replicate?

AcrossthePond55 Thu 10-Nov-16 02:26:54

Matrix Biolage Detangling Conditioner. Hopefully it's available in the UK.

It's an absolute miracle worker. I put it on and comb it through in the shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now