Talk

Advanced search

I have no clothes for a night out -

(20 Posts)
BrillianaHarvey Mon 10-Oct-16 23:25:07

- does this mean I finally have to fess up to middle age?
I am a 48 year old student and mother of one. I have a fairly well-curated wardrobe of ankle boots, jeans, stripy tops, biker jackets, Hush ruched skirts, etc. etc.
But by some freak coincidence of the planets I found myself this weekend with two evenings out, and realised that I had nothing in my wardrobe that was funky-casual-glitzy. Plenty of black tie frocks; plenty of sharply tailored daywear for lunching in a ladylike capacity; but nothing for a relaxed evening where you want to look as though you've made a bit of an effort but not in an uptight way.
What is the answer? Should I just buy a waterfall cardigan from The White Company and heave a sigh of relief that most nights I can be in bed by 10?
I'm 5 foot 4 and a size 12 with massive norks.

Joinourclub Tue 11-Oct-16 04:18:40

I don't have 'going out' clothes anymore. I just dress up my day clothes with jewlery and lipstick.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 11-Oct-16 06:08:55

I would usually go for a cami (mind are Top shop and Warehouse, mainly) with the skinnies, boots and biker jacket. Yes it's boring.

I also think this sort of occasion is a call for a jumpsuit. But then I'll put on one of my jumpsuits at any given opportunity as I love them.

JackandDiane Tue 11-Oct-16 06:39:57

Jumpsuits look like you've made an effort tho. Plus big toys mot sute. Go to river island. Masses of plain but metallic stuff in there which you can just put on under your jackets biker or otherwise.
Mint velvet do hugely overpriced plain slouch silky t shirts too

JackandDiane Tue 11-Oct-16 06:41:06

www.mintvelvet.co.uk/ink-satin-slouch-tee/tops/mint-v/fcp-product/7577

Runningupthathill82 Tue 11-Oct-16 07:07:55

Jumpsuits look like you've made an effort tho

You see, I don't agree with this. I think (depending on the jumpsuit) they've become a casual staple, but could be dressed up as required with heels/jewellery if needs be. Thereby perfectly fitting the bill for the OP's "made a bit if an effort but not uptight."

On the casual jumpsuit front - during the summer I wore print jumpsuits with sandals to the beach/park/cafes/ wherever.
Now it's a bit cooler I have a dark green one which I'll wear with flats for a casual day out shopping or out with the kids/to the pub/ visiting friends etc. This sort of idea...
m.asos.com/asos/asos-jumpsuit-with-off-shoulder-in-sweat/prd/6766306?iid=6766306&clr=Khaki&cid=20982&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=389&gridsize=2&gridrow=12&gridcolumn=1

But then I love a jumpsuit, and do have others that are obviously for dressing up too. Sorry, didn't mean to derail thread with jumpsuit talk!

BrillianaHarvey Tue 11-Oct-16 07:31:42

The Mint Velvet top is in the right register but I really don't want to get my arms out.
I ended up in a jumpsuit on Friday as it happens! It was 6 years old though. I am still fond of it - I just don't get that going-out buzz from it any more.
Worry about standing too close to a naked flame in anything from River Island.

JackandDiane Wed 12-Oct-16 06:04:08

Ah ffs. Come on grandma. Take a look! grin

0dfod Wed 12-Oct-16 09:18:33

The trick is Op to items that can be dressed up or down. The rushed skirts can be dressed up with a pretty top and heels, some earrings, a bangle etc. Or dressed down with a fitted t-shirt and trainers. Even tailored day wear can be softened for evening wear e.g. pencil skirt with a soft slouchy top and mid healed boots.

Once you have a play dressing up in your clothes to fit different occasions you will get an idea on what items you need to keep an eye out for.

It will also help if you can mix and match colour and material wise. So have a thought on the staples that you use and work towards them fitting lots of different occasions.

BrillianaHarvey Wed 12-Oct-16 09:55:23

Thank you that's really helpful. (Gliding gracefully over the grandma comment.) I could really use a shiny/sparkly top or two but am very unconfident buying because my arms are wobbly and I am a 32G.

SpiritedLondon Wed 12-Oct-16 10:15:06

What is it with this ruched skirt? It's cropping up everywhere. If you've got good basics then look at your accessories or shoes in a non safe colour or print ( silver boots for example). I think if you want sparkle you will find tons of it soon as Christmas nears. I have a lovely pewter sequinned cardi / jacket from Jaeger that I bought in the sale which I like to wear in a non lady way! For contemporary brands have a look at &otherstories and Finery for some inspiration.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 12-Oct-16 13:02:52

I have a lurex jumper that comes in handy for dressed up but casual evenings. Have had it years so can't link anything similar but the general idea might be worth pursuing. similar

Pinkcadillac Wed 12-Oct-16 19:42:08

the Whistles sparkle knit is ££ but it is amazing

www.whistles.com/women/clothing/knitwear/sparkle-tie-cuff-knit-23694.html?dwvar_sparkle-tie-cuff-knit-23694_color=Black&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=.&utm_campaign=&utm_content=sqZuN5S3f_dc%7Cpcrid%7C%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7C

JackandDiane Wed 12-Oct-16 22:05:52

i disagree with wearing workwear on a night out unless you re in London

Stop apologising for your body. FUCK EM - wear what you like. I am sure your arms are fine

JackandDiane Wed 12-Oct-16 22:06:26

I never add sparkles to an area I am self conscious about
if you think your tits are not good dont add sparkles to them

BrillianaHarvey Wed 12-Oct-16 22:14:05

That Whistles knit is indeed gorgeous.
Jack I do hear what you're saying, though a harsh critic might find your tone a little rebarbative.

sadie9 Wed 12-Oct-16 22:20:09

I'll tell you what are absolutely great as a standby 'going out' item. A pair of those 'coated leggings'. They look like leather but are actually some sort of synthetic material. They always look trendy and dressed up, and give a new lease of life to plenty of your old boring tops put over them. And comfy as they are stretchy leggings. They are called 'coated leggings' or 'leather look leggings'. An example here from Next but lots of places may have them.
www.next.co.uk/g532106s6

Alicesmith85 Thu 13-Oct-16 06:50:09

Agree with Sadie! I have loads of going out clothes, but for an easy outfit its always leather looking leggings, cami from topshop or river Island, barely there heels, statement necklace or earrings. My latest pair are h and m.

JackandDiane Thu 13-Oct-16 06:59:33

Ah fuck it then. Wear something shit

BrillianaHarvey Thu 13-Oct-16 07:30:42

I have some leather leggings but camisoles aren't a good look on me. Yy to statement earrings. Think I will try the Whistles knit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now