Talk

Advanced search

Need an artsy interview outfit

(19 Posts)
ThreeBecameFour Mon 10-Oct-16 17:59:02

I have an interview coming up in a senior role in a well known art college. So serious role yet arty environment. Can you help me put a suitable interview outfit together please? I will probably go slightly conservative as it is an interview after all but with a twist. Any ideas please?

SpiritedLondon Mon 10-Oct-16 18:18:16

Well how intriguing. It seems to me that you should seek to look like you rather than a facsimile of someone "arty". What is your usual style? What do you have access to and is there a budget?. ( in my head I'm screaming go to Liberty!!)

Laska5772 Mon 10-Oct-16 18:25:13

I'm probably a frump// but this look? with the Red skirt ? (ive just bought it in red so I hope its not frump!!)

I love the boots BTW

MsUnderstanding Mon 10-Oct-16 20:23:56

Cos or Other Stories?

MrsLettuce Mon 10-Oct-16 20:24:12

Cos would probably be a good place to look. Maybe something like this or this?

Kabex Mon 10-Oct-16 20:27:56

Pencil skirt and blouse with dark coloured converse or patent brogues, a fine knit pullover tied around your shoulders. A beret. Bold lipstick, no foundation.

MumiTravels Mon 10-Oct-16 20:31:15

Black or burgundy pinafore with tights. Turtle neck long sleeve top and pixie boots. Fedora. A leather duffel rucksack.

Florathefern Mon 10-Oct-16 20:36:52

I have the first Cod dress in green. I wear it at the weekend. I definitely wouldn't wear it to an interview.

Nor would I wear a jumper around my shoulders anywhere and definitely not an interview. it screams 'try hard'.

What about navy high waisted palazzo pants, a very fitted tucked in top/button down shirt and accessories to reflect your personality?

Florathefern Mon 10-Oct-16 20:37:30

*Cos not cod!

moneyQ Mon 10-Oct-16 20:39:18

Converse? For an interview? NO!!!!

Just wear what you would wear to any other interview!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 10-Oct-16 20:46:02

I'm a lecturer in a creative subject, so not senior but similar environment. For my interview I wore a very simple black shift dress with short sleeves, black patterned opaque tights (subtle chevron type pattern) and black ankle boots with a small block heel. I didn't wear a jacket other than my outside coat (smart wool) and I added "personality" to the outfit with pewter jewellery, red lipstick and red nailpolish, otherwise neutral makeup.

IminaPickle Mon 10-Oct-16 20:46:39

Are you being mischievous Kabex
😂
BAAAD ADVICE!

CeolNaMara Mon 10-Oct-16 20:48:35

I don't think an interview is the place to try out a new look, so your interview outfit should be something you feel really comfortable with and don't even notice once you've put it on. That would be quirky if that's your natural style, but not if not.

I assume if it's a senior role that very senior people will be on the panel? You don't want to look like you're in fancy dress. Or "ditsy".

What would you normally wear to an interview? Wear that.

You could add an accessory which is the "twist" you're looking for - could be colour (if colour is your thing) or a print, or earrings etc. Nothing distracting though - you want them to listen to what you have to say, not remember you for your shoes.

I say this as someone with an arty job in an arty environment.

Fuzzypeggy Mon 10-Oct-16 20:51:04

I agree with ceol. Wear something that's you and not fancy dress. No berets, converse or jumpers over shoulders

ChickyDuck Mon 10-Oct-16 21:06:39

My failsafe interview outfit is a gorgeous very well fitting black shift from Hobbs, thick (but not wooly) grey tights with black polkadots, slightly quirky but smart and well polished black leather shoes with a mid heel. Very smart but also shows a little bit of me.

Lanaorana1 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:23

Whatever you do, don't try and look 'arty'.

Most people in arts admin are ruthlessly well dressed, which these days means clean monochrome lines and more than a nod to this season. I run creative stuff, which I have been doing today, and just looked down from the screen:

- ralph lauren poncho jersey (I am fat)
- white tee shirt
- Kate Spade pendant
- H&M crepe tailored joggers
- Eileen Fisher brogue trainers
- capacious tote with chains, etc
- Stella Macartney jacket in said tote in case of meeting

all black, white, red, silver. I think it all came from charity shops and TK Maxx, incidentally.

You want to give the old-skool message of being too smart to care how you look, ie keep it simple, with the new-skool message of being a relatively sane and up to date person, ie stay fresh and fun.

If you're interviewing as the accountant, none of this applies. Clean would be a welcome change for this role in most places.

SpiritedLondon Mon 10-Oct-16 22:26:43

Oh! Just wrote a long post and now it's gone! Grrr! Brief summary. Cos good! Think dresses with interesting shoes / boots/ accessories. For affordable options with a similar aesthetic try Finery. I've picked 2 of their dresses to illustrate what I mean although I certainly would choose flat sandals! Good luck....I hope you get it.

polyhymnia Mon 10-Oct-16 23:07:53

Not a beret! Presume that was a joke.

Kittykatmacbill Tue 11-Oct-16 07:29:19

I would guess shift dress (I have bought not super smart dresses from white stuff and Superdry) with a slightly funky jacket. Your choice of interesting jewellery (rather than corporate conservative) and what ever your choice of shoes is be that brogues or heels or boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now