Talk

Advanced search

Navy and black. Can they be worn together?

(8 Posts)
zippyswife Sun 09-Oct-16 06:50:59

How does this work? I have an ink blue leather jacket. Can I wear any black at all? Is it just that I shouldn't wear black tops with it but I can wear black skirts/tights/boots?

Similarly I have navy brogues. Can I wear black tights with them?

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 09-Oct-16 07:00:12

I really like navy and black together, I often deliberately pair the two (and I've got single items of clothing that combine black and navy, so evidently other people think it is acceptable too). I think can look much more modern than an all black outfit. Probably looks best if you're not bringing too many other colours into the outfit so it looks deliberate.

I think it's an old fashioned rule.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 09-Oct-16 07:01:32

Oh and I think your navy jacket would look great with a black top!

SeaRabbit Sun 09-Oct-16 07:05:55

Agreed I think it can look good. I took part in a 'can you wear back shoes with navy' thread - I hadn't realised some people never wear the 2 together.

Lots of people wear black with blue jeans, often very dark jeans.

Moogdroog Sun 09-Oct-16 10:36:19

Of course! I think they look great together.

It's one of DM's rules, along with 'blue and green should never be seen...', which in my opinion is a marvellous colour combination.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 09-Oct-16 12:34:03

Ines de la Fressange (French model etc) in her style book says yes.

zippyswife Sun 09-Oct-16 13:51:51

Thanks for your replies. Tried it out this morning- navy brogues with black tights and skirt pale grey fine knot jumper and navy leather jacket topped off with a blue bobble hat. I think (hope) it looked great.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 09-Oct-16 16:10:04

Sounds great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now