Does anyone who needs a proper warm winter coat have experience of the Uniqlo down coats?

(5 Posts)
potentialqualms Sat 08-Oct-16 07:58:46

Not sure if this belongs in style and beauty but I couldn't find a sensible practical clothing topic.

i spend most of my winter weekends outdoors either watching football or running cross country. The format for the cross country is children race first, then women, then men. So I'll be hanging around for DC, then run and get very wet and/or sweaty, put on as many layers as I can possibly manage and stay to support the men and clear up. So, the coat needs to be very very warm.

ATM I have this Berghaus one It was expensive but worth every penny. It's not about 5/6 years old and needs replacing but has served me well - like wearing a sleeping bag but really lightweight and easy to move in.

The Uniqlo ones look and sound very similar but are half the price and come in loads of lovely colours. here

However, I know from experience the cheaper option is rarely a good one. Any recommendations?

hollyisalovelyname Sat 08-Oct-16 08:37:08

I have them and love them.
Not waterproof though.

Oly5 Sat 08-Oct-16 14:35:41

You need a North Face Arctic Parka. Fully waterproof and toasty. Mine is about to start its third year and still looks like new

BWatchWatcher Sat 08-Oct-16 22:29:33

I have a water defender uniqlo down jacket.
It is so toasty and warm.
Also shiney and perhaps not very fashionable.

Statelychangers Sun 09-Oct-16 10:33:07

I have a uniqlo down coat and it's great for late autumn/early spring but when it comes to proper cold, it just isn't enough. I need my North Face Arctic Parka, I spend loads of time outdoors and I get very cold - need ski gloves cold!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now