Talk

Advanced search

Maternity clothes help please

(16 Posts)
Peopleplease Thu 06-Oct-16 16:31:36

I'm 29 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I feel I look a total scruff. I'm a SAHM so don't want to spend much money but really NEED something to help me feel a bit more together.

I have 3 pairs of jeans (2 of which are 3 years old and from my last pregnancy) and none of them are comfortable. 2 are under bump - these just seem to want to fall off unless they're uncomfortably tight and seem to press on my bladder making me want to pee constantly! 1 is new and over bump but this just seems to squish my bump - they're almost too big everywhere else though. All jeans are Next.

I have 2 tops - one is fine (black with white stripes) but it's quite light material.
1 is a grey sweatshirt style. Comfy but big & baggy as I accidentally bought a size too big.

I do love the yoga trousers from Mothercare but the wide leg style just seems to emphasise how scruffy I feel.

I need a coat but am due 22nd December so won't get much wear out of it.

Any suggestions?? Oh and I live in rural Ireland so only have access to Next, Mothercare & Red Herring from Debenhams.

Cakescakescakes Thu 06-Oct-16 17:35:38

Don't buy a maternity coat. Just wear your normal one open but get an oversized blanket style scarf to wrap round and hang down to fill the gap. Had a January baby here! Could you get away with a pack of maternity vests (next normally do multipacks) and wear your own cardigans over them again with a scarf?

shirkingworking Thu 06-Oct-16 17:55:35

Definitely online ordering! Most shops don't stock much maternity wear now anyway. I loved topshop jeans and asos seem to have a lot of maternity stuff now. Congratulations!

Pistachiois50pmore Thu 06-Oct-16 19:04:18

I wore Topshop maternity leggings, H&M maternity tights and lots of big voluminous stuff from COS, like this:
www.cosstores.com/es/Women/Dresses/Oversized_jersey_dress/46881-16082135.1#c-24480 (Ignore the crap pic it's a nice roomy plain jersey dress)

Also bit of bodycon - ASOS do a New Look maternity starter pack that was pretty cool. American Apparel also pretty good for this because it's all mega stretchy!

Pistachiois50pmore Thu 06-Oct-16 19:06:41

I do kind of think loads of maternity clothes are total rip off though - you'd be better off buying a statement necklace, a nice lipstick and some really good (stylish/comfy) trainers!

Peopleplease Thu 06-Oct-16 19:09:32

Hadn't thought of the giant scarf option! That could work!!

I actually would love cool trainers - I'm currently in my Adidas constantly.

SexNamesRFab Thu 06-Oct-16 22:05:51

Do top shop, new look or H&M deliver to you? I found them best for nice cheap maternity clothes that I could wear to death then burn pass on afterwards. If jeans are u comfortable can you try long T-shirts / tunics with maternity leggings? I found gap over bump jeans to be the most comfy, they often have discount codes. Have you looked on eBay for second hand stuff?

RaeSkywalker Thu 06-Oct-16 22:51:19

I've got some lovely bits from Jojo Maman Bebe- jumpers and jeans. Also ASOS. Are these an option for you as online orders?

I also got a bundle of clothes on Ebay for £30, including Isabella Oliver and Seraphine items. Super pleased with that one!

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 12:19:19

I've been looking at Jojomamababe actually. They have lovely cardigans!

Casmama Fri 07-Oct-16 12:59:26

I would second the eBay recommendation- great stuff often hardly worn for much less than you would pay new"

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 14:00:32

My only problem with ordering online/eBay is - even before pregnancy - I'm a bit of a pear shape and not everything fits.

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 14:02:54

I LOVE this coat m.asos.com/asos-maternity/asos-maternity-skater-coat-with-funnel-neck/prd/6632326?iid=6632326&clr=Black&SearchQuery=&cid=5813&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=52&gridsize=2&gridrow=2&gridcolumn=2 but it would be a waste of money wouldn't it?!

Caper86 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:03:29

Asos is great for affordable mat wear, and they do free returns if it doesn't fit. I lived in a pair of mama mio skinny jeans and long asos maternity tshirts.

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 14:15:12

this jumper and this jumper

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 14:18:30

I like these

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 14:24:28

My taste in shoes seems to have deserted me this pregnancy these are crazy right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now