Talk

Advanced search

Help with whiteheads (mainly on chin)

(12 Posts)
user1475253854 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:12:12

I've had cystic acne and spots for ages. Recently the cystic acne has mainly gone but now I get whiteheads (anywhere between 1-8) usually on my chin. I use the cerave cleanser with a flannel and the cetaphil moisturiser, which are supposed to be non-comodogenic. My chin is quite dry and flaky so if I don't moisturise, it dries out more but if i do = whiteheads. I've just bought the superdrug serum and that isn't pore blocking on my forehead and cheeks but I haven't tried it on my chin for fear of more whiteheads. I am late twenties. Any advice?

OtherBarry Thu 06-Oct-16 17:59:57

Bumping as I have the same problem! I need a moisturiser that doesn't dry my skin out or make my spots worse but don't seem to be able to find one

hollieberrie Thu 06-Oct-16 18:09:47

Have you tried a sacyclic acid toner? If they don't clear up with that then more likely a dietary connection - try reducing sugar and white carbs (and possibly dairy).

neveradullmoment99 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:36:12

Me too..on my cheeks and a few around my chin. Very annoying and take ages to go away. I heard sacylic acid might be good and have used crushed asprin as that was recommended and contains it and it has made them less bumpy but they still persist. I exfoliate and they are soooo stubborn.
I heard steaming your face may also be good?

ChickenVindaloo Thu 06-Oct-16 21:43:51

Dr Sam Bunting's videos on YouTube explain everything.
Go and see your GP - they might prescribe isotretinoin cream. Or test your hormones.
Be gentle on your skin.

I had to go on roaccutane (was a miracle cure for me but terrible side effects) so I feel your pain.

MrsT2007 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:25:20

Having great results with la Roche posay effaclar duo. No new spots since I started using it. It's fab

Moofin Fri 07-Oct-16 08:35:49

Have you been to GP? The only thing that ever worked for me was the pill - dianette and then Yasmin - not on them now as bfeeding sad adult acne sucks balls doesn't it

But I honestly think most commercial acne treatments are just a waste of money

user1475253854 Fri 07-Oct-16 11:38:55

Thanks for replies. Do you recommend any toner in particular hollie?

GP has been crap in the past but might try again as wonder if I might have PCOS.

Cloclomomo Fri 07-Oct-16 12:01:12

As previous posters have said, you need something with a decent concentration of Salicylic Acid (it doesn't necessarily have to be a toner though) to tackle the overproduction of sebum. Effaclar Duo is good (I think the UK formulation has 0.5% Salicylic Acid). I have also heard people talk about Nip& Fab Dragon's Blood wipes. There are stronger products available though, for instance I use a product called Epionce Lytic Tx which has 1.95% SA.

You should also wash your face twice a day and make sure your other products are non-comodogenic.

Hope this helps!

user1475253854 Fri 07-Oct-16 19:06:59

Thanks clo. Would I use the N&F after cleansing?

If I went for the effaclar duo do you use that and then moisturise too?

Cloclomomo Sun 16-Oct-16 08:41:07

Yes, with N&F you would use after cleansing.

With Effaclar Duo you would cleanse, apply ED, wait five mins, then moisturiser (if you needed it - I don't).

With both of these, I think I would do it in the evening, but maybe check out some other threads to see what other people say

user1475253854 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:53:11

Ah I see, thanks for response smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now