Talk

Advanced search

If you are short waisted... What do you wear?

(7 Posts)
BriocheBriocheBrioche Thu 06-Oct-16 10:29:16

I seem to have a really hard body to dress.

I am short waisted, I have just a couple of centimetres between the top of my hip bone and my bottom rib.

I am also bigger on the bottom than on the top. Usually a size 10/12 on bottom and 8/10 on top.

If I wear longer tops to elongate my body they finish on my widest part and make me look rectangular.

Any advice from fellow shortwaisted-ers?

lisam78 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:35:00

You sound a similar shape to me. I avoid anything high waisted - jeans, skirts etc and I don't tuck anything in, it makes me look huge. I get jeans in low to mid rise and only then will I loosely tuck in a t-shirt or shirt. I also avoid any belted coats, jackets or cardigans. Again, they make me look much bigger than I actually am.
Hope that helps!

BriocheBriocheBrioche Thu 06-Oct-16 19:41:35

Thanks Lisam... That's generally what I try to do, I really need some dark jeans but EVERYTHING this season seems to be high waisted! Nightmare.

WhereAreWeNow Thu 06-Oct-16 21:13:45

You sound a v similar shape/size to me. I don't know what the right answer is but personally I think shorter tops work better for me. So things like fitted, cropped jumpers. Not cropped as in midriff revealing. Just so they end on the waist rather than hips. I think higher waisted things can work too but maybe I'm kidding myself blush
High necks can work well. Polo necks and slash neck tops. But definitely fitted on top rather than loose and billowy.

LuubyLuu Fri 07-Oct-16 11:25:19

Similarly short waisted.
I wear a lot of dresses rather than tops + bottoms, they seem to work better for my proportions. And only low rise trousers!
Although I love silky shirts they just never seem to look right.

LuubyLuu Fri 07-Oct-16 11:27:18

There's actually a lot of fashion blog advice out there on this topic, eg

insideoutstyleblog.com/2011/08/8-top-tips-to-dressing-a-short-waist.html

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sun 09-Oct-16 19:46:11

Thanks for the blog link, I will check it out.
What kind of dresses do you wear? I'd like to add more dresses to my wardrobe to make my life easier in the mornings!

I definitely can't do highwasted. It makes me look like a (small) pair of boobs on legs and everything this season seems to be highwaisted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now