Hair has changed after baby- help!

(10 Posts)
JenBen78 Thu 06-Oct-16 04:31:37

My hair has always been fine and poker straight. Six months after having my second child it went coarse and wavy- almost overnight. Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine it's a hormone thing. I don't know if it's permanent or maybe another reason not to go for number 3- I like it curly!
Also, does anyone have any tips for managing it? Having gone 37 years with one type of hair, it's hard adjusting. Any tips? Any good products? (Am in Australia, but can access uk products too). I can't blow dry it and am only using a 'beach waves' product. It's very frizzy!
TIA and I look forward to hearing whether anyone else has experienced this!

frikadela01 Thu 06-Oct-16 04:46:51

Wish my hair had gone nice after pregnancy. Instead it's just falling out like in clumps sad good job I have loads of it.

Anyway, I use the Aussie frizz miracle range and it seems to keep the frizz at bay. They also do a spray leave in conditioner that I use once a weekish that makes it feel in nice and soft.

camena Thu 06-Oct-16 04:49:37

You need lots and lots of conditioner for wavy hair, and avoid any drying ingredients like silicones and sulfates. A'Kin leave in conditioner is good, I love it for my wavy hair.

JenBen78 Thu 06-Oct-16 04:50:25

Thanks! Am sure it will stop clogging up the plug hole soon!
Funnily enough, Aussie range doesn't seem to exist in Australia. Will see if my parents can bring it over. smile thanks

JenBen78 Thu 06-Oct-16 05:25:18

And thanks for the tips on what to avoid camena- will look up A'Kin too

YouWereRight Thu 06-Oct-16 11:38:40

My hair did that. It was very straight and fine before dc1, shortle after he was born grew in wavy.

7 years later its still wavy. I started to embrace it last year.

Bodicea Thu 06-Oct-16 17:02:59

No actual advice. My hair has done the opposite. I didn't realise this was a thing and thought I was going mad.
Have gone straight but quite bouncy hair to poker poker straight hair! I just won't hold any type of curl anymore. I stupidly put loads of layers into it to try and help matters and they just hung in dregs . I had to spend ages blow drying it to get any sort of movement at all. I am now trying to embrace the straight so had a load lobbed off and trying to grow it all into one length.

my hair did this exactly a couple of years ago but wasnt after having a baby or anything, it just happened completely at random. i'd always had poker straight hair that never held a curl and i washed it one night, went to bed and the next mornign it was wavy and has been wavy ever since. i have noticed when i use products with a lot of silicone in the them it makes the wave drop but if i stick to cone free stuff, i have loads of waves

JenBen78 Fri 07-Oct-16 13:54:53

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear in not alone in my hair freakiness.
It's pretty strange isn't it? Thanks for the tips. Time for us to embrace the curls/poker straight hair smile

littlemissy12345 Fri 07-Oct-16 21:34:19

You need some Boots curl creme - cheap as chips but really helps the curls. I was always borderline wavy/curly and this got more curly after my second. I embraced it in June - curl cream every day, don't use sulfate shampoo and only wash it every 3/4 days. I also use a mousse but that can make it slightly crunchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now