Talk

Advanced search

I have taken delivery of Rosehip oil today - what essential oils can I add to make it smell nice?

(11 Posts)
PacificDogwod Wed 05-Oct-16 22:19:34

I have:
- lemon
- tea tree
- lavender
- orange blossom

Any suggestions?
I am planning on using it for my visage grin

PoppyPicklesPenguin Wed 05-Oct-16 22:24:39

What are you hoping to achieve?

PacificDogwod Wed 05-Oct-16 22:26:33

Generally less dry skin?

I've used the Bodyshop's Oils of Life oil recently and liked it, but found it a bit dear.
Rosehip oil seems to be recommended for <ahem> maturer skin (I'm 50); it smells of nothing, so I am just trying to tart it up a bit.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Wed 05-Oct-16 22:32:18

50 is the new 40 ;) I'm nearly 40 hopes this means 40 is the new 30

So i would go for lavender in this case it will be most gentle on your skin.

Orange blossom is lovely (one of my favourites) orange blossom water is great for dry skin

Teatree oil is used for more oily skin especially great at getting rid of spots so I'd avoid that one as it may have the opposite effect of what your looking for.

For 50mls if base of maximum 20 drops pure essential oil

If you want a tonner, 50mls of distilled water and 10 drops of life oil is better than any fancy expensive toner IMO

PoppyPicklesPenguin Wed 05-Oct-16 22:32:55

Of base oil

PacificDogwod Wed 05-Oct-16 22:35:17

Oh, thank you, Poppy! thanks

I'm pretty clueless about oils but did really like the Bodyshop stuff.
Thanks for instructions about the quantities too - I may have just tipped some in.... shock

PoppyPicklesPenguin Wed 05-Oct-16 22:48:24

You are very welcome.

Lavender is the safest but others you need to be careful as if you used neat they can "burn" the skin.

Almond oil is great for dry skin as is avacado.

Doobigetta Thu 06-Oct-16 10:12:00

Orange blossom (neroli) is great for skin and you'd be very unlucky to be sensitive to it. I'd only use lemon and tea tree on very specific areas, not the whole face- even diluted.

SeaRabbit Thu 06-Oct-16 13:58:37

I'd choose a smell you like - I very much doubt it'll make any difference - I am sure the 'special properties' of individual essential oils is a myth, with no scientific proof - except for some having antiseptic qualities.

PacificDogwod Thu 06-Oct-16 16:39:23

Oh, I am not expecting the essential oils to do anything spectacular, just give it a bit of a scent without smelling like a lemon sherbet grin

Here's another thought: could I put a few drops of an eau de toilet in it?? <cunning plan>

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 06-Oct-16 16:57:01

Geranium is nice and anti-ageing. I'd use a mixture of orange blossom, lavender and geranium if you can get it. The absolute dog's bollocks though would be frankincense (aka Neal's Yard stuff) they don't embalm people in it for now't after all!

I found pure Argan better than Rosehip tbh (I am the same age as you) as the Rosehip just didn't feel rich enough somehow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now