Make up for 13 year old dd

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 05-Oct-16 12:05:12

My 13 year old dd is just getting interested in make up. She has a few bits from the cheaper ranges but she would like some better stuff for Christmas.

I know Urban Decay is the thing with teen girls these days but OMG the prices! I wouldn't buy from there even at my age. Are there any other good makes that are not quite so expensive?

And would you go for a set or individual bits? She'd like some nice brushes too.

PointlessUsername Wed 05-Oct-16 12:09:31

Have you thought about the make up advent calenders?

Benefit do a good one, that way she gets a few bits and can see what she likes.

Neffi Wed 05-Oct-16 12:35:24

Superdrug do a great range called MUA - Make Up Academy

Nabootique Wed 05-Oct-16 12:39:07

I'd go Zoeva (buy online or in Selfridges). They do great brushes and lovely eyeshadow palettes, but much more affordable than Urban Decay.

Nabootique Wed 05-Oct-16 12:40:03

They're also very popular with British beauty bloggers and make up artists, if she likes to read/watch them.

GinIsIn Wed 05-Oct-16 12:40:33

Some bits from MAC aren't too pricey - why don't you take her to have her face done at a a MAC counter to try things out? Brushes-wise, the real techniques ones are lovely and quite 'in', and boots usually have them on offer around Christmas.

exexpat Wed 05-Oct-16 12:45:23

DD is nearly 14 and a big fan of online makeup bloggers/vloggers.

Urban Decay, Too Faced and Benefit are usually top of her wish-lists, but she is usually happy with MUA and Makeup Revolution, which seem to do copies of the must-have new palettes (hmm I know nothing about make-up, she doesn't get this obsession from me). She can spend hours in Superdrug.

botemp Wed 05-Oct-16 12:49:01

Kiko, it's v. similar to MAC in terms of stock, similar (sometimes better) quality, and a lot more affordable.

I'd second Zoeva for brushes.

Sleek for eyeshadow palettes and blush/highlighter/contouring palettes.

Makeup Revolution do a lot of Urban Decay like products and dupes.

Dancergirl Wed 05-Oct-16 12:50:19

What about Lily Lilo, I've seen them mentioned on here....?

botemp Wed 05-Oct-16 12:57:58

It's mineral makeup, I'm sure it's good and has its fans but not something to be on a 13yo's radar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now