Talk

Advanced search

If you could give me one simple tip, what would it be? I'm a frumptastic disaster zone and I'm only 27 <weeps>

(90 Posts)
KeepsAwayTheNargles Wed 05-Oct-16 11:26:32

Today I've booked to have my hair cut in a few weeks when I have money. Its currently long and frizzy and lifeless. I'm going to get A Product as well to make it all volumey.

I've accepted that I won't have the energy to lose the last stone I want to for a while and my clothes are ok - I just need to wear them and a bra instead of slobbing about all the time sad

My skin is dry and flaky so all makeup looks shit up close. My glasses, at least, are awesome.

If you could give me one simple tip to aid me on my way to fabulousness, what would it be?

I need to feel cool and sexy again, rather than this crappy tired lump! DS is ill and back to not sleeping so tiredness may have something to do with this breakdown...

Nabootique Wed 05-Oct-16 11:30:32

Can you go for a facial? It would be a nice treat to kickstart your skin.

Then if I were allowed to give a second tip, it would be put a good skin routine in place to combat the dry flakiness and then your make up will go on better.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Wed 05-Oct-16 11:33:45

I'm sure you're not frumptastic at all!

I would up the amount of water you're drinking - not a specific amount, but just drink more (whenever you remember), and whenever you feel peckish as well. Not to try and lose weight necessarily, but apparently a lot of the time when we think we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. It also might help with your dry skin.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

Dulcimena Wed 05-Oct-16 11:43:48

If you could give me one simple tip to aid me on my way to fabulousness, what would it be?

Stop focusing on things you're unhappy with. Seriously. Focus on the fab things about you, that you like. Glasses are a start but I am certain there is more...

One more thing - remember that absolutely nobody sees all the "flaws" you have identified. I am sure you look great tbh.

LBOCS2 Wed 05-Oct-16 11:51:46

Eyebrows! Eyebrows, eyebrows, eyebrows.

Get them shaped; threaded or waxed (personally I prefer threading as waxing reacts terribly. Plus it's £3). If you can afford it and have the time, also get them tinted.

Having decent eyebrows makes a big difference as to how 'put together' I feel. It also means that I can do very minimal make up and feel quite polished.

KeepsAwayTheNargles Wed 05-Oct-16 11:52:12

I am so so bad at drinking water blush I think my missions for the rest of this week will be that and using my proper cleaner rather than wipes which used to be fine before I was a knackered mum but I fear I'm too old for now

Nabootique I so would if I could, may look for a Groupon deal for next month!

Dulcimena I could say a lot of good things about my personality grin and I like how I dress. But I'm in a major hair/skin/energy rut and its so bleurgh!

KeepsAwayTheNargles Wed 05-Oct-16 12:07:09

LBOC I've been wondering about my eyebrows for ages. I've never done anything with them as they're barely there! When I'm in town for my hair appointment I may go into the brow place and ask if I've got enough to work with smile

Lupinlady5 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:18:22

Yes, eyebrows. If you do one thing, do this. If they are sparse, get them tinted. That's what I do, and I have rubbish eyebrows! Get an eyebrow pencil for when the tiny fades.

JamieVardysParty Wed 05-Oct-16 14:22:59

Water, sleep and exercise cure all.

Losgunna Wed 05-Oct-16 14:26:54

Yy to eyebrows. I'm 26 and didn't do anything with mine until last year as they're not particularly sparse or bushy, not a monobrow, not much in the way of anything but just sort of there. Got them threaded and tinted and.never looked back. All I need now is a bit of mascara and maybe a touch of concealer if I have a spot and I looked groomed. It's brilliant because I am ridiculously lazy and it's dead easy

FreeButtonBee Wed 05-Oct-16 14:31:59

I found that a bit of acid toning really helped my skin. There are lots of expensive ones but the Olay anti aging toner is just as good and dirt cheap. www.amazon.co.uk/Olay-Anti-Wrinkle-Anti-Ageing-Toner-200ml/dp/B000T9AK8E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1475674238&sr=8-1&keywords=olay+anti+wrinkle+toner

That and a nice plain moisturiser - even nivea soft or even better CeraVe Lotion - will help the dull flaky skin without breaking the bank.

Aderyn2016 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:35:22

Eat well and exercise. I am guilty of often doing neither but when I do, it is amazing how much better I feel and how much better my clothes fit.

Eyebrow and top lip threading also makes a massive difference. Superdrug have done a great job on mine and were much cheaper and imo better than shavata and benefit at the department stores.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:36:46

Just one thing? Running.

If I was to extend it to three, it'd be running, a good bra, and lots of water.

Having neat, painted nails and groomed eyebrows also makes a massive difference. As I have no time, I do mine while watching DS in the bath.

plumstone Wed 05-Oct-16 14:43:20

Wear Sunscreen - Eyebrows - water

SPF 30 minimum - every day after moisturiser
Eyebrows - threading monthly is a game changer as said by PP
Water - I am on 3-4 litres a day - have reduced coffee to make room - difference in my skin and eyes is amazing!!!!

Also Smile - generally make you feel better!!!

wowwee123 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:46:29

aveeno daily mosituriser for your face. quite often on offer in boots and superdrug. done wonders for my skin.

if you want to add volume to.your hair try got2b volumising powder. again usually on offer. dry shampoo is a cheap subsitute although not as good

wowwee123 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:49:03

i second superdrug for eyebrow threading. tinting is easy enough to do yourself at home if you buy eyelash tint and usually lasts ages.

i would also recommend a good brow pommade if you go down that route. myx at boots do one for a 5a or i have heard anastacia dip brow is great and apparently about a 5a on ebay.

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Oct-16 14:54:21

Babyliss big hair - £45
Nip and fab glycolic fix pads - approx £7 in boots at the moment
Drink more water - free
Exercise - free

Job done.

Maverick66 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:59:42

Whilst waiting for your hair appointment:-

Drink more water.
Take a 15/30 min walk per day.
Buy an exfoliator body and face.
Get eyebrows shaped and waxed/threaded.
Apply self tanning moisturiser.
Buy a new lipstick.
Guarantee by time you have your new hairstyle you will feel and look fab!

ChickenVindaloo Wed 05-Oct-16 15:11:01

Iron your clothes.
Wear a little perfume.

AgedRelative Wed 05-Oct-16 15:12:35

Eyebrows as well. They just Guevara your face structure.

KeepsAwayTheNargles Wed 05-Oct-16 15:57:09

I really really doubt taking up ironing will make me feel better grin sorry ChickenVindaloo! I do have perfume I love though so will resume wearing it.

My hair appointment is the 22nd, will book eyebrows while I'm there for the weekend after, and upgrade my phone from this piece of crap as that will definitely cheer me up!

Have developed a headache, DH is out tonight so once DS is asleep it'll be a bubble bath for me, and painting my nails. Wish I had a face mask in the house! I do have oats/bananas/coconut oil though so maybe I could improvise grin

KeepsAwayTheNargles Wed 05-Oct-16 15:59:38

Its occurring to me that I have a lot of the stuff suggested here - nice exfoliators, gradual tanning lotion, lipstick - I just never bother with it blush I really need to! I don't know why its seemed so much effort! Thanks all smile

Finbar Wed 05-Oct-16 15:59:47

Mascara
Lippy
You go girl!

Blueisthemagicnumber Wed 05-Oct-16 16:03:54

I find hair makes a big difference, and you wear it everyday.

Try a serum. Superdrug do them for under a fiver, and that will help with hydration.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 05-Oct-16 16:07:46

And yes, put a bra on. Seriously a well-fitting bra makes the rest of your clothes fit so much better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now