Dungarees? Postnatal, good idea?

(11 Posts)
GrubbyWindows Mon 03-Oct-16 16:40:07

I keep seeing Bright Young Things looking supercool in dungarees.

I have a 4 month old, who I mostly carry about in a sling (so I can run after the 3 year old), and who breastfeeds copiously. I'm fairly tall and skinny, but the bump is still there a bit, so none of my trousers fit yet.
Are dungarees the answer to my trouser woes?? Or will I just look absurd? I live in a fairly hip part of London, if it helps.
And, if they are not just a stupid idea, where can I order some nice but not too expensive ones online? ('Cause I'm not getting round the shops by myself any time soon...)
Please help, style gurus!

witsender Mon 03-Oct-16 17:09:22

I often wonder this. I secretly love them, but as a size 16/18 am not sure I am cool enough to pull them off.

No help, sorry.

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Oct-16 17:34:22

Dungarees were having a moment when my eldest was born. From experience, the clasps are not ideal for holding a newborn against.

Floisme Mon 03-Oct-16 18:43:52

From a style point of view - I bloody loved my dungarees. Did I look absurd? In all honestly, I probably did but that's all part of the fun. I've not been looking this time but they're pretty much everywhere on the high street so I'm sure other posters will be along soon with suggestions.

But like burnished I'm not so sure about the practicalities. As well as those cold, hard clasps, wouldn't it mean fumbling with an extra layer when you're trying to breastfeed in a hurry? I found trackie bottoms and a T worked just fine. (I realised I was getting my style mojo back when I started pulling the T shirt back down in between feeds. grin)

SeasonalVag Mon 03-Oct-16 19:41:13

You need big boobs and a relatively narrow rib cage to pull them off.....I'm size eight with no boobs and am quite broad....they just emphasize the worst bits on me. Very forgiving with a tummy tho

CandyMcJingles Mon 03-Oct-16 20:39:27

I have Topshop black velvet short dungarees and I love them. I'm 42 and def not a bright young thing.

GrubbyWindows Mon 03-Oct-16 21:30:46

Hmmm, Flo and burnished you are wise. I was envisaging popping a boob out of the side, with a hoiked up Tshirt. I hadn't accounted for the hard buckles imprinting themselves into DD's face...
Seasonal I have bigger boobs than ever before at the moment! Pre kids I was an ironing board...
Candy you give me hope!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 03-Oct-16 21:40:23

I have small boobs, very small waist/flat tummy but wide hips/big arse and I love my dungarees. I had to try loads on until I found the right ones. (I'm 5ft 6 and a 10/12.) If it helps, I think they look great with bare ankles and brogues/trainers/sandals, but not good (on me, at least) with boots, so are more of a summer thing.

paxillin Mon 03-Oct-16 21:45:40

How big are you round the middle since your baby is only 4 months old? This is what makes it either Alexa Chung or Humpty Dumpty.

GrubbyWindows Wed 05-Oct-16 12:02:27

Hmm judy food for thought. I think I'm more into the less booby aesthetic for dungarees.
paxilin the rounder middle is my issue. I'm not that round but still too round for my old trousers. I'm dreaming of the magic of trousers without a waistband...

daffodilbaby Wed 05-Oct-16 17:06:50

definitely yes to the dungarees! I have only just stopped bfing and they are perfect for it. You can just unclasp one side and lift your t-shirt - the baby goes nowhere near the clasp -just don't try and go to the loo with a baby in a sling over the top, now that is not possible!-

Lots around - fashion bloggers rate these www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/playsuits-jumpsuits-2159081/moto-long-denim-dungaree-5168355?bi=0&ps=20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now