these for skinnies or black opaques?

(25 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 14:51:05

phenia carnaby
I looked at these last year buy decided they were too expensive. I still like them and they are still expensive! What do you think about them for work with skirts and black opaque tights?
Between those and saving some serious cash and getting these instead
tayor palm
What do you think?

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 01-Oct-16 15:41:02

Personally, I am not hugely keen on either, but the second one is more of a summer shoe to my mind unless you live somewhere it never rains or you travel everywhere by car door to door. If you love the first ones and wear them often I'd see them as an investment buy.

ageingrunner Sat 01-Oct-16 15:49:16

Do clarks originals still have the crepe rubber soles? If so, they are incredibly slippy on wet ground. I had a pair and I'm surprised I lived to tell the tale tbh. My feet used to just suddenly go from under me when I wore them in the wet.

wowfudge Sat 01-Oct-16 15:49:34

I'd like the first ones if they didn't have the light coloured sole and heel. The second pair are frumpy.

ageingrunner Sat 01-Oct-16 15:50:08

It does say crepe. Beware!

DurhamDurham Sat 01-Oct-16 15:52:47

I'm sorry to say it but the second pair are hideous and definitely not for the winter. The first pair are nice enough but you could probably find a pair just as nice for cheaper.

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 15:54:51

I like their simplicity. One thing that I do wonder about it that crepe sole when the weather turns colder and it's icy in the mornings. I don't want to be slipping and sliding into work!
Where can I find smart but comfortable shoes that I would manage the winter in? I would quite like some ankle boots for staying cosy but they need to be low on the ankle and quite neat fitting or I'll look dreadful. That's why the lace ups are quite useful. And I love me a desert boot.

I've got oxblood Hamble oaks, so I've done the brogues thing, somehow they make me feel a bit matronly now so not sure where to go from here. ...

Anonymum40 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:56:30

I'm liking these www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0408210001.html

But am I too old at 45??

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:03:22

Definitely not too old!!

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:04:39

Are the second pair really hideous?!

LadyintheRadiator Sat 01-Oct-16 16:06:38

I like them. But only while it's fairly mild and fairly dry. I have two pairs of hamble oaks otherwise I'd have got those for work with skirts/dresses.

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:09:48

Honestly I find work wear really tricky. I'm at home in skinny jeans with converse or Chelsea boots.
I'm never going to turn up in stilettos to work, I don't really like heels but a lowish block heel is OK, or flat. I always wear black tights with pinafores or black a line skirt. The office is pretty casual.
I like to have something comfy and a little bit different on my hooves. But some flats can make me feel matronly now (like the Hamble oaks) I think they are a bit too formal looking or something.
Halp! Winter is coming!

I love both - but the second pair are definitely for Spring, not for wet Autumn days. I've got these and am really pleased with them. They have even been admired by v stylish girls at work! smile

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:21:04

Remus - I like those. They are similar to the phenia carnaby but look like they wouldn't be as slippy. I just don't know if they would be a bit too heavy and make me look chunky somehow. Like how some can wear Chelsea boots with a skirt and look fab but it just looks dreadful on me. I tried the loafer version of these soles with the tassels but I wasn't overjoyed with them. Did you try the brogue version? Not sure if these would make me feel matronly either.

I do like this nod to the 90s at the mo though!

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:23:16

I do wish clarks would put a picture of their shoes on a person so you could get a better idea!

The brogue version are gorgeous (I don't like the loafer ones) but a friend beat me to them, so I went for the boots instead!

And yes to the nineties - I think I'll always be stuck somewhere between 1988 and 1992!

LadyintheRadiator Sat 01-Oct-16 16:51:47

Love a thread where Remus appears with a link smile I love those too actually and the whole 90s thing. Hope it doesn't all pass too quickly it's my comfort zone.

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:51:55

Shame I like the brown brogues best - not sure how well they'd go with black tights and office wear!

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:53:13

Yes lady, I am always glad to see a remus linky - you know there's something worth seeing at the other side!!

LadyintheRadiator Sat 01-Oct-16 17:03:05

The brown are lovely I wish I'd looked around more before buying the hamble oaks now. Depends what colour skirts/dresses you wear. I wear brown shoes with blue/demin/burgundy. My winter wardrobe is probably a bit drab!

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 17:06:04

If I got these brogues to try, surely they'd need to be black for work? Set me straight here! I am a person who is not afraid to mix black and brown but somehow for work I don't think it would be quite right?

Awww. How lovely!

The brown brogues are gorgeous but I rejected them because I wasn't sure if I could wear them with black tights.

LadyintheRadiator Sat 01-Oct-16 17:14:23

My office is v casual (charity). If smart I'd go for black. could you order both to try on with different outfits and see which work best?

keeponkeepinon Sat 01-Oct-16 17:41:12

My office is pretty casual too, but I tend to wear a black skirt with a semi smart top or camisole with cotton cardi. Or shift dress type pinafore over a long sleeve tee.
Shame as I'd prefer the brown to wear with jeans. Even black jeans. I'd wear with black jeans no problem. So why not tights....hmm....not sure...
I think I'm going to have to go to a store and try on. I want to try the brogues in brown and black but also those boots.
maybe the flat t bars too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now