Talk

Advanced search

Smoothskin or Lumea

(23 Posts)
Maplessglobe Sat 01-Oct-16 13:07:02

Know this has been done before but as there is an offer on Amazon on the all-singing, all-dancing Lumea on Amazon now here, and as its been a while since the Smoothskin 200 came out, I wondered which people would recommend?
The Smoothskin is the only one which seems to claim permanent results, and is corded, whereas the Lumea is cordless and probably the more popular option. Can't decide which is more of a faff or is likely to give better results.
I'm researched-out. You lot have any insights?

Maplessglobe Sun 02-Oct-16 00:16:55

Anyone?

SunshinePanda Sun 02-Oct-16 10:25:44

I bought the most expensive Lumea, in the Summer, after lots of research because it seemed to be more effective after reading lots of reviews. I was tempted to go cheaper but decided that as I would only buy once it was best to just go for it. Have had some success so far.

Maplessglobe Sun 02-Oct-16 12:52:51

Thanks sunshine. How long have you been using it and how much success? grin

SunshinePanda Sun 02-Oct-16 17:10:47

Started in about June. You are meant to do 4 sessions I think once a fortnight and then move to 8 weeks maintenance sessions - still got some growth but big improvement. It doesn't take too long to zap everything either. Thought I could go to 8 weeks but may need to do a couple more sessions first.

Maplessglobe Mon 03-Oct-16 09:37:10

Thanks, sunshine.

Anyone used the Smoothskin out there? It's supposed to adjust the 'dose' automatically based on skin colour so potentially less of a faff.

Maplessglobe Tue 04-Oct-16 17:53:13

Bump

lovelybangers Tue 04-Oct-16 17:56:53

I have just seen the Tria advertised on TV.

£375

Is that comparable?

Berthatydfil Tue 04-Oct-16 18:02:36

I've got an older smooth skin and have found it great. I've seen permanent reduction in underarm bikini and leg hair.l- which has almost all gone. Very dark coarse hair.

Maplessglobe Tue 04-Oct-16 20:22:02

Oh great thanks bertha

Never heard of the Tria- oh no, is this something else I have to think about??

BennyTheBall Tue 04-Oct-16 20:24:23

I have a Lumea.

I last used it before I went on hols in July and I am only now noticing patchy regrowth. If you could be arsed to do it every 2 or 3 weeks, you would be hairless all year round, I reckon.

joangray38 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:21

Ive got the comfort lumea and I haves it 4x and only have patchy regrowth. I wish I had bought a cordless one with bigger laser as it takes ages to do, but I got mine from eBay so was v cheap

Titsywoo Tue 04-Oct-16 20:58:04

What areas have people done? I usually have my entire legs waxed (as in calf and thigh) and have very thick dark hair. DH bought me a Lumea but not sure if I should try a small area or just go for it and do the whole legs?

Anothernamechanger1 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:00:29

I have the lumena and found it didn't work for me, It should've done as i fit in their description for who it should work for and I used the right setting. I'm interested to know about the smooth skin, hadn't heard of that one.

LikeTheShoes Tue 04-Oct-16 21:02:45

I had a Lumea but the battery died so I returned it and got the Panasonic alternative which is not as good (I also have temporarily lost the enthusiasm for it)

Itrynotto Tue 04-Oct-16 22:21:32

Is it painful?

LikeTheShoes Wed 05-Oct-16 07:57:50

Not really.
Not at all on my legs. Armpits an bikini area is a little sore (the official info says it's like a rubber band snap) but it doesn't hurt after and doesn't leave red marks.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:04:58

I bought the lumea comfort (it was about £199) - I have pcos and a lot of hair growth getting worse on my face. I have since done two 'intensive programmes' Ie when I've completely focused on doing it properly, shaving in between and following the instructions completely. I have seen absolutely zero difference. In fact, in many ways it seemed worse because as you shave and balance out the regrowth, it appears thicker as all hairs are the same length. I was getting where I couldn't get through the day and would have to reshave if I was going out. So now I pluck as before which is painstaking and horrible but at least i don't have to do it everyday. I was really disappointed in the lumea and I'm thinking of selling it.

Anothernamechanger1 Wed 05-Oct-16 10:51:07

Thenew I felt the same. Strange isn't it when you fit the category and correct setting......

I wonder has anyone tried more than one brand? Say the Phillips then tried a different one? I wonder if I will be wasting money trying the smooth one, if the Philips didn't work is it most likely the other won't aswell?

Maplessglobe Wed 05-Oct-16 14:17:24

Thanks, all.
another that's what I was wondering- if anyone could do a direct comparison (based on a sample size of one but hey!)

Anothernamechanger1 Wed 05-Oct-16 15:45:17

Ha! There must be some one on here!

Afterthestorm Wed 05-Oct-16 15:48:10

If anyone is interested in selling one secondhand I may be interested....

Maplessglobe Thu 06-Oct-16 10:07:21

Yes, another, that's what I thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now