Talk

Advanced search

Brand new winter wardrobe

(8 Posts)
AnnaKissed Sat 01-Oct-16 13:05:55

After 5 years living abroad, I am returning home to Scotland. Moving in December! With pregnancy too, I haven't worn winter clothes since 2009 when I was a size 10 twenty-something working woman. I'm now a size 14, 30 something, SAHM. That's depressing enough without wearing too tight clothes that are at least 8 years old.

So I have the opportunity to buy a whole new wardrobe. What do I need most? And where should I look? Online ideally. I usually shop in M+S, TU, Matalan, Tesco blush but I'm aware I need to grow up a bit!

PNGirl Sat 01-Oct-16 14:32:11

Uniqlo and ASOS! Great for basics and not too much more than the supermarkets for a lot of it.

CaitAgusMadra Sat 01-Oct-16 14:44:16

My essentials would be:
Black ankle boots. In every shop at the moment!

Black opaque tights

Dark skinny jeans (black, grey or dark blue)

Knit jumpers in a couple of colours. Definitely uniqlo for these, amazing quality & value

Layering tops for under afore mentioned jumpers. I like uniqlo heatech but think m&s have a similar range

Winter coat - fairly smart wool - will instantly lift any outfit.

More casual jacket - biker if that's your thing or a lightly padded one.

A wool knit dress - love COS for these in flattering, drapey shapes.

Can be mixed & matched for very casual to pretty smart occasions

Kr1stina Sat 01-Oct-16 14:46:34

Buy some heat tech thermal underwear from uniqlo .

Where is Scotland are you moving to ? It's a big country with a lot of different weather.

Just buy the basics before you arrive, styles and fashion can be very different abroad . You don't want to spend a lot and discover it's looks a bit frumpy here .

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 01-Oct-16 15:56:02

I'm in Scotland and my winter wardrobe revolves around:

Parka with hood, long enough to cover a skirt
"Nice" coat - I have a few faux furs, and a couple of wool ones accrued over the years
Leather biker jacket which can be layered up
Flat Chelsea boots
Stout biker boots with a good sole for frosty or snowy days
Skinny jeans - black and grey
A-line skirts, usually printed
Fitted crew-neck jumpers, usually plain
Uniqlo heat-tech scoop neck tops
Blouses - I wear the Uniqlo tops underneath
Leather gloves
Big blanket scarf
Opaque tights

I tend not to wear dresses as much in winter as I don't like cardigans, but I do have a couple of cord pinafores which I wore absolutely loads last winter.

Shop-wise I particularly like Topshop for blouses and knitwear, and All-Saints for jeans. I've bought quite a few things from Hush this year and really like those too.

Cellardoor23 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:21:40

Pretty much what was posted above. I love big blanket scarfs, they're so cosy. I have a big tartan one that I got from Zara. A couple of pairs of boots. I have a pair of Chelsea boots and a pair of black Dr. Martens. The Dr. Martens have a good grip on the bottom for more icy/snowy days.

Have a look on the woolovers website. They do a good selection of quality jumpers at a decent price. The sizing is quite generous too and I'm sure some of them will stretch a bit with pregnancy.

Cellardoor23 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:24:28

I live in Scotland too!

NeonPinkNails Sat 01-Oct-16 17:11:29

Watching with interest - how nice to be able to start from scratch and winter clothes are the best imo. Happy shopping smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now