Talk

Advanced search

Trying to figure out my skin tone is driving me mad

(21 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Fri 30-Sep-16 13:21:38

My natural hair colour is dark ash blonde that gets very white in the sun, so I always assume I must be cool toned. Eyes are green/grey.

Yet, I tan to a deep warm brown, and I think I look best with gold jewellery, khaki greens, burgundies, dark oranges etc.

I can't be both so which would I be? I can't afford to get my colours done, but I'm trying to pick new glasses and want a colour than compliments my skin tone.

Fuzzypeggy Fri 30-Sep-16 13:59:34

If you look good in gold khaki and dark orange then I'm guessing you are an autumn and therefore warm toned

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:02:58

color of the veins on the inside of your wrist.
If your veins appear blue or purple, you have a cool skin tone.
If your veins appear green, you have a warm skin tone.
If you can't tell if your veins are green or blue, you may have a neutral skin tone.

cheeseandmarmite15 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:03:56

www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/face/_/how-to-determine-your-skin-tone-and-undertone

GinAndOnIt Fri 30-Sep-16 14:10:00

cheese my veins at the very top of my wrist are blue/purple, but turn green further down.

Fuzzypeggy Fri 30-Sep-16 14:11:53

I don't think the vein thing is very conclusive. You would be cool toned if you suit white clothing next to your face, warm toned if you suit cream. If you look OK in both you could be neutral

Nabootique Fri 30-Sep-16 14:12:50

If you have all of those vein colours you could be neutral. I found Stephanie Nicole's video on figuring it out on YouTube very helpful. She gives a few different methods.

GinAndOnIt Sat 01-Oct-16 10:45:49

Had a watch of the Stephanie Nicole video yesterday, thank you.

These are the colours I wear, which seems to be both cool and warm. So, I've decided, either I'm neutral, or have no ability to see which colours suit me. The only thing I know for certain, is that I can't wear a lot of black near my face, but that's surely the case for most blondes/fair people?

Fuzzypeggy Sat 01-Oct-16 10:55:12

Looking at those colours id Def say warm toned unless you've got it very wrong! Creams and peaches wouldn't look good on cool toned skin

RoganJosh Sat 01-Oct-16 10:58:39

Is there any pattern to what other people say? I had one woman say I really suited my olive and turquoise tops. I didn't seen any connection between those colours, but it turned out she was right, when I got my colours done I was an autumn.

NaturalRBF Sat 01-Oct-16 11:01:09

I'm very similar! Dark blonde hair that goes very light in the sun. My wardrobe has all those colours & I look better in gold. I'm pale however in the sun I go crazy dark! I'm a yellow warm tone

sentia Sat 01-Oct-16 11:05:02

The colours in your wardrobe are all warm colours. I'm cool toned and the only colour I could wear there is the navy, which crosses over warm/cool. The paler blue is a warm blue and the grey is a warm grey.

Floisme Sat 01-Oct-16 11:22:04

Op, provided you can see what colours suit you - and it sounds as if you can - what does it matter what skin tone or season you are? Why not just look in the mirror and trust your instincts?

GinAndOnIt Sat 01-Oct-16 11:55:13

Flo I was trying to find what colour glasses would suit my face, as I have no eye for that. I couldn't decide whether to get something along the lines of a brown frame, or something with a cooler tone. So if I could work out my skin tone, I'd be able to narrow it down.

GinAndOnIt Sat 01-Oct-16 11:56:44

Rogan I'm not sure anyone has ever specifically said 'that colour looks nice on you'! confused

CoolToned Sat 01-Oct-16 11:57:24

Warm-toned, assuming the clothes in your closet suit your colouring smile

GinAndOnIt Sat 01-Oct-16 11:58:28

sentia that's helpful, thank you - i'd thought the blue was cool so that makes more sense now it can also be warm.

Natural it sounds as though I must be warm too then

Floisme Sat 01-Oct-16 12:10:27

Ah sorry, yeah I find choosing glasses tricky too cos I can't see my face properly.

For what it's worth, I'm a similar colouring to you, blue veined and (in my opinion) suit silver over gold. I think it's more about shade than the colour itself. Apart from black and white, I think I can wear most colours provided the tone is right. I go for 'mid tones' - not too pale and not too bright. I wear a lot of burgundy, dark green and charcoal grey. I like brown if it's that really dark, 'bitter chocolate' shade (hard to find at the moment). My current specs are a dark tortoiseshell but I've also had green, plum and I'm eyeing up a grey pair next.

GinAndOnIt Sat 01-Oct-16 12:20:12

Picking glasses is infuriating because they always have a bloody sticker over one lens.

My current glasses are dark red, but I actually really dislike the colour red, so no idea why I picked them confused I think I probably thought they were brown.

I was quite fancying an olive green or a grey pair.

NaturalRBF Sat 01-Oct-16 20:42:51

Gin super dark frames always look awful on me! Browns and greens always look best & are what I usually go for

dudsville Sat 01-Oct-16 21:42:49

I have no advice op. I strugged for years following all the advice re vein color, etc., one day I mentioned my struggle to a friend. I didn't realise sie knows about this kind of thing and she simplified it. "You're a rose, not a peach", and then talked me through it and pointed out others we passed by. I think I'd lacked a real sense for how to measure the data!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now