Talk

Advanced search

I've spent a fortune on shampoo & conditioner and it's absolutely no better than my Loreal Elvive!!

(28 Posts)
Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 18:01:18

I'm feeling pretty miffed. About a
month ago I went to a new salon for cut & highlights. They did a nice job but my hair has been highighted so much it's really dry especially on the ends. They persuaded me that it's all in the shampoo & conditioner and so I thought I'd treat myself with the hope it would improve. It was expensive, Keratese products.

A few weeks later and it's in no better condition. It's still dry & straw like and I actually think it was softer
when I used Loreal Elvive!

Has anyone else found the same? Is the expensive stuff ever worth it?

Euphemia Thu 29-Sep-16 18:04:55

I tried a few expensive shampoos and had the same experience! I went back to L'Oreal EverPure two weeks ago and my hair is gorgeous!

GizmoFrisby Thu 29-Sep-16 18:08:50

I am a hairdresser, it sounds like the bleach has over processed. Kerastase are usually very good products, I wonder if they have sold you the correct range as there's a few different types, sounds like you need a good conditioning treatment. How much have you used? You could always go back and say your not happy with it? They recommended it after all?

LuckySantangelo1 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:09:44

Yes in my experience, kerastase is massively over rated. I do like their spray a porter (may have got the name slightly wrong) but the shampoos and conditioners are not up to scratch.

LuckySantangelo1 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:11:17

And yes I agree with Euphemia that the Everpure range is brilliant, if a bit difficult to get hold of.

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 18:14:22

Thanks Gizmo, i've used both about 4 or 5 times but only small amounts at a time as they told me to.

I think the highlights they've done are good but I think it's the old ones from previous (not v good hairdresser) that are dried out towards the ends.
What's the best way to get looking in nice condition & not like a scarecrow?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Thu 29-Sep-16 19:14:09

By the sound of it, cutting the ends off. Drastic I know, but shampoo and conditioner can only do so much. It will probably look a lot better.

GizmoFrisby Thu 29-Sep-16 19:20:44

Th problem is they have left the bleach on too long leaving the hair follicle damaged. Does it feel a bit like you have burnt it? The best thing I do, my hair is bleached, I sleep with conditioner on, also try not straighten it over style it. I'd possibly go back and complain. Qualified colourists should not be over processing causing this much damage. Poor you. There is a treatment I used from boots it's called recharged for bleached hair or something. Il have a look and see if I can find it.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 29-Sep-16 20:08:28

Isn't Kerastase made by L'Oreal ?

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 20:09:48

Thanks Gizmo I believe the recent colourist was very good. The one I'd been seeing for a year or so before worked elsewhere & I do think she's messed it up but that's why I don't go there anymore!
I'm trying to grow it so don't really want to have loads cut off but probably need some more frequent trims.

I'm just really annoyed that I wasted all that money on the products!!

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 20:10:33

I don't know holly but I won't be buying it again!

Sparklesilverglitter Thu 29-Sep-16 20:11:34

I love elvive I never buy anything else. I've tried more expensive brands but IMO they aren't any better

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 20:14:18

I wonder if I could sell it on ebay🤔

DubiousCredentials Thu 29-Sep-16 20:16:44

Worth a try. I sold unused nit treatment on eBay. And half used perfume. I haven't stooped to "trashed" shoes yet though halo

moonfacebaby Thu 29-Sep-16 20:20:38

I have bleached hair - I use Neals Yard Remedies rose shampoo & conditioner. It keeps my hair in lovely condition even though I blow dry it every day.

My hair is short though - so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It's not cheap - about £12, but I love it.

GizmoFrisby Thu 29-Sep-16 20:27:50

Where do you buy that from sounds lovely?

OlennasWimple Thu 29-Sep-16 20:41:41

How long are you leaving the conditioner on for? Every now and again I put conditioner on and leave it for ages (an hour or so) and that makes more difference than the brand, TBH

QueenSpartacusOfTheAndals Thu 29-Sep-16 20:49:20

Kerastase is owned by Loreal and I'm pretty sure their Elvive products are basically Kerastase in disguise. Some of them have exactly the same ingredient listing.

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 20:55:02

Well I never, I didn't know that.
The other thing I hate is that the shampoo doesn't lather. I really like a good lather!😄

QueenSpartacusOfTheAndals Thu 29-Sep-16 20:56:39

The dirtier your hair is, the less a shampoo will lather, but amount of lather doesn't really reflect how efficient a shampoo is.

Trickymoments Thu 29-Sep-16 21:00:23

Oh so I must have gross hair?!!😂

QueenSpartacusOfTheAndals Thu 29-Sep-16 21:28:52

Maybe dirty was the wrong word but if you use a lot of styling products the same can happen!

chiquita1 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:51:01

I have used kerastase for almost 20 years. Ive got dark brown very curly hair that I dye light brown with highlight that I blowdry or straighten 3 times a week.

Tropicana1980 Thu 29-Sep-16 22:32:07

I was recently sold Kerastase by my hairdresser. It left my hair so rough I couldn't get a comb through it. Won't be buying it again!

Trickymoments Fri 30-Sep-16 13:06:24

Glad it's not just me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now